Could this be Dengue fever?

clarky cat

All you can really do is chill out and take paracetamol. Be certain you're in a cool environment and lots of water.

You might be hungry (appetite) but do you have the strength and motivation to eat? Do you feel like your body was run over by a truck and someone took a bat to your head? Do you have high fever?

High fever - use ice packs.

Lots of water on hand.

Do not shave as your platelet count is low you'll bleed forever if dengue.

Hospital can't do <deleted>.

Vomiting - possible but not in the 2x I'd had it.

If you are positive for Dengue, you will be admitted for 4 to 6 days. Fever will be 104 for 4 days then Dengue shock that’s when some die

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Not necessarily, my landlady got dengue and didn't stay in 1 day.

I can see govt hospitals trying to get rid of you asap, a risk of under diagnosing the problem. Private hospital will be the reverse

I got dengue Jan 1 2016. Severe headaches. Eyes hurt fatigue. A lion air air hostess got. Dengue. 3 weeks ago. She was young. And died in 3 days . When I had it I was in pvt hospital your pallets will drop to dangerous levels your blood pressure will fall. Mine was 98 /. 72 when I was admitted. U r put in bed and u will not eat u will not move your bed sheets will be soaking wet. You will need I s. And when fever stops they checked my heart each 2 hours. Many. The heart stops. T
Some vitals organs stop. Don’t be miss lead by 1 day dengue fever stories. 600 dead. In philippines in last month alone

No brush teeth. Nothing. Any cut and you may not stop bleeding

Hardly necessary when blood count was normal.

OP it is likely the test they did was just a complete blood count. This will have ruled out complicated (hemorraghic) dengue but not ordinary dengue which is far more common. In addition there are other viral diseases similar to dengue like Chikungunya. These are usually self limiting as is uncomplicated dengue. But leave you feeling pretty wiped out.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, clarky cat said:

It’s become the norm, hence why I question any sickness on here first

Yes, unless you are so sick you can't do normal day to day stuff a doctor probably can't help. What are they going to do?

It's like going to the police after a burglary. What are they going to do?

Everything you need is on the internet (somewhere).

When I have some seemingly incurable minor ailment (like a stubborn fungal, viral or bacterial infection) I try to keep it at bay until I take my yearly visit to Australia. A few weeks out of the tropics and into a clean, dry, cool environment and these sort of ailments tend to disappear.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, mfd101 said:

You have symptoms like that for a whole week and you still haven't been to see a doctor?

I've never understood why anyone who is very unwell would think, "I know I'll seek a diagnosis and have treatment prescribed for me on a Thai Visa forum."  Oh wait, I can think of one reason ... it's not the principle, it's the money.

tombstone.jpg.f435a1b91febd3dcdd1bbd7de0138376.jpg 

Had it twice!!

you feel like you have been run over by a bus its hot and cold sweats bed sheets soaking for first couple of days everything aches

stay in cool room drink plenty doubtful you will want to eat, sleep /rest

Misery last for about 4/6 days feel week for further 2/3 weeks

I've never understood why anyone who is very unwell would think, "I know I'll seek a diagnosis and have treatment prescribed for me on a Thai Visa forum."  Oh wait, I can think of one reason ... it's not the principle, it's the money.

You need to go to the doctors armed with info what it could be. Who trusts doctors here? especially with all the expensive unnecessary meds they give you? BMs here may have experience of the symptoms.

I always think its daft when people say don't ask on a forum

10 hours ago, OP GUY said:

My first night at midnight. I was with 4 nurses and a doctor checked me and checked my pressure 2 times and said to me words I will never forget

can I rub that for you 

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You need to go to the doctors armed with info what it could be. Who trusts doctors here? especially with all the expensive unnecessary meds they give you? BMs here may have experience of the symptoms.

I always think its daft when people say don't ask on a forum

Utter nonsense.

Have been to see doctors here for problems both serious and trivial over the past twenty years. Aside from one dubious dermatologist all have been excellent.

Have you read the posts in this thread, including your own? Most are incoherent, pointless speculation. Are you really going to tell a doctor that you need to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases because some doofus on Thai Visa said so? 

Why not just stand on the street asking random strangers what they think is wrong with you. You'll probably get some colorful responses.

16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Do not shave as your platelet count is low you'll bleed forever if dengue.

16 hours ago, Number 6 said:

All you can really do is chill out and take paracetamol.

Yes, don't shave and take paracetamol.  That's " all you can do

Far better than seeing a doctor. The blind leading the blind.

Utter nonsense.

Have been to see doctors here for problems both serious and trivial over the past twenty years. Aside from one dubious dermatologist all have been excellent.

Have you read the posts in this thread, including your own? Most are incoherent, pointless speculation. Are you really going to tell a doctor that you need to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases because some doofus on Thai Visa said so? 

Why not just stand on the street asking random strangers what they think is wrong with you. You'll probably get some colorful responses.

More nonsense. I'm pretty sure BMs can filter through the advice given along with searching online to get an idea of the cause and then if necessary go see a doctor. Start a thread " examples of where doctors got it wrong" it will be very popular, I could add a few things

13 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

180 baht for the consultation, blood test and medicine

hardly expensive

On 8/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, legend49 said:

Seriously. There are 4 different families of mosquitoes who can be carriers. If strain A bites you, you get you have immunity for a year but only on strain A. It can last 10 to 14 days and has up to 10 different symptoms. This is why its nasty you get a new symptom every day, so as the fever leaves the chills come. or the horrible behind the eyes headache goes lower back pain becomes so bad. Never had the bleeding under the finger nails having hated two occasions of this fever. You can only rest drink lots of water and take paracetamol for the pain. 

There are two main vectors of dengue - Aedes aegypti and Ae. albopictus (not four families of mosquitoes). There are 4 serotypes of virus. Getting infected with one serotype give immunity to that type. Getting infected after than with another type can result in complications such as dengue haemmorhagic fever. 

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, don't shave and take paracetamol.  That's " all you can do

Far better than seeing a doctor. The blind leading the blind.

Twice I'd had it. Did the right thing and went to hospital. Put me in bed, gave me a drip, paracetamol and a Xanax at night. Four days later the bill.

I think a doctor might have come in once.

Of course he needs to see if this is hemmorhagic dengue. But it's just about rest.

On 8/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, clarky cat said:

went to a government hospital, they did all the usual checks plus a blood test

my blood pressure is the lowest i've ever seen it but still in the normal category

they've told me all test results are fine and sent me home with paracetamol and ibuprofen

If you had dengue there is very little can be done other than treat the symptoms.

Problem is it affects people differently which causes a great deal of confusion. When I got it, it started went away and came back with a vengeance, a classic symptom. I went to a local clinic and had a platlet count, it was on the bottom end of the range so just sat it out. Confirmation came quite quickly with the red palms and thumping headaches, lasted about 10 days in total.

My niece had it about a month before me, about 15 at the time and had been sent home from school camp. She was dehydrated so they took her in overnight on saline drip. Again her platlet count was at the bottom end.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived