UK plans to end EU freedom of movement immediately in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

UK plans to end EU freedom of movement immediately in no-deal Brexit

By Kylie MacLellan

1223.JPG

FILE PHOTO: UK Border control is seen in Terminal 2 at Heathrow Airport in London June 4, 2014. REUTERS/Neil Hall/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain said on Monday it would end European Union freedom of movement rules immediately after it leaves the bloc on Oct. 31 but Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the country would not be hostile to immigration.

Under Johnson’s predecessor, Theresa May, the government had said only that if Britain left the EU without a transition deal it would aim to end free movement “as soon as possible”.

Johnson, who took office last month, has promised to take Britain out of the EU with or without a deal on Oct. 31.

“Freedom of movement as it currently stands will end on 31 October when the UK leaves the EU, and after Brexit the government will introduce a new, fairer immigration system that prioritises skills and what people can contribute to the UK, rather than where they come from,” a spokesman for Britain’s interior ministry, the Home Office, said in a statement.

Johnson’s spokeswoman said further details on the changes to freedom of movement were being worked on and would be set out shortly but would include tougher criminality checks.

“What we are going to do is leave the EU and that means that legally all those powers revert to the UK...That does not mean that we are going to stop anybody coming into this country, it doesn’t mean that we are going to become remotely hostile to immigration or to immigrants,” Johnson told BBC Radio Cornwall.

“What it does mean is that immigration into the UK will be democratically controlled and we will be producing an Australian-style points-based system to do it.”

Adam Marshall, Director General at the British Chambers of Commerce, said businesses had planned on the basis of no-deal guidance set out by the Home Office seven months ago.

“Now, with weeks to go, hints that it’s all up in the air again. Firms need clarity and consistency to prepare for change,” he said on Twitter.

The Home Office said there would be no change to planned rules for EU citizens and their families already living in Britain by the end of October, who would still have until at least the end of December 2020 to apply to Britain’s EU Settlement Scheme.

No one eligible for settled status would be barred from re-entering Britain when free movement ends, the Home Office said.

Joe Owen, programme director at the Institute for Government think tank, said the planned change was “close to impossible” on a practical level as it would require designing, legislating for and rolling out a new system in just over two months. It would also leave millions of EU citizens in limbo, he said.

“There would be no way for employers to distinguish between those EU citizens who have lived and worked in the UK for decades, but are yet to get settled status, and those who arrive in the days after a no-deal Brexit without a visa or permission to work,” he said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-20

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Joe Owen, programme director at the Institute for Government think tank, said the planned change was “close to impossible” on a practical level as it would require designing, legislating for and rolling out a new system in just over two months. It would also leave millions of EU citizens in limbo, he said.

“There would be no way for employers to distinguish between those EU citizens who have lived and worked in the UK for decades, but are yet to get settled status, and those who arrive in the days after a no-deal Brexit without a visa or permission to work,” he said.

And there you have it, the truth behind johnson’s bs. 

Sure, the pensioners throw out

Weren’t you talking about workers?

So tell me about your EU pensioners in UK. Where does their pension come from and does their own country actually repay the UK for their NHS benefits? Are they the net contributors Remainers like to tell us support the UK?

British and European businessmen have a lot of financial interest in our remaining in the EU. Shareholders in companies like EDF will suffer and so will their directors. 

Big business thrives on cheap imported labour. Plentiful cheap labour equals lower wages which in turn equals bigger profits.

But Joe Bloggs doesn't thrive. Instead he finds himself queuing up in the job centre and having to live on benefits. That's why he voted to quit the EU and will do so again if he has to. He no longer wants anything to do with an organisation that destroys his livelihood.

You don't hear from Joe in the media. Newspaper men and TV and radio presenters jobs do not go to Eastern Europeans. Joe's job will if it hasn't already done so. You won't hear Joe's take on the matter  on the BBC, Sky News or LBC cos they're not interested in his opinion. In their minds along with the minds of the politicians he's just working class scum whose opinion counts for nothing.

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Finally!! Time for merit based immigration. 

As long as I'm allowed back to live with my Thai wife when I want to I have no issues with it.

Although I fear that as a British tax payer even now whilst living abroad, never taken anything out and only 'put into the system',  I fear things might get much tougher if I want to take my wife to my home country to stay longer than 6 months thats if she doesn't have a degree and doesn't speak excellent English or have 65k GBP to support herself and if she has a pre existing health condition..

Whats your view on it?

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Do you think any Brexiteer reads past the bold headlines, risking to be confused by challenging details? Let them live in their fantasy land bubble. 

You mean they can read?

If the headline refers to people that have not been to the UK before 31 Oct by definition it is probably correct, as the treaty rights would no longer exist.

If in practice they start hassling EU people that have already established themselves or even been frequent visitors already, they have contrived something to demonstrate their lack of practical application. People should not have their lives disrupted, because the government(s) have not sorted something, and that something should not disrupt lives.

Existing EU nationals that live in Britain should be able to go about their lives "as is" settled or not, until they decide otherwise, after all they were invited under the Treaty.

Performance of these politicians (and the supporting depts), on all sides, continues to be very disappointing. Change is surely an opportunity to make improvements!

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Home Office said there would be no change to planned rules for EU citizens and their families already living in Britain by the end of October, who would still have until at least the end of December 2020 to apply to Britain’s EU Settlement Scheme.

No one eligible for settled status would be barred from re-entering Britain when free movement ends, the Home Office said.

They had better get their finger out, and give people written legal re-assurance, and stop stressing them out! 

1 hour ago, NightSky said:

As long as I'm allowed back to live with my Thai wife when I want to I have no issues with it.

Although I fear that as a British tax payer even now whilst living abroad, never taken anything out and only 'put into the system',  I fear things might get much tougher if I want to take my wife to my home country to stay longer than 6 months thats if she doesn't have a degree and doesn't speak excellent English or have 65k GBP to support herself and if she has a pre existing health condition..

Whats your view on it?

Can't see any reason where a wife should be given any more barriers to staying in the UK, the already substantial criteria excludes them from claiming benefits etc. The amount of time you have been married should also have some bearing on quickly issuing indefinite leave to stay in the UK. (there has to be some safeguards against insincere operators, but there can surely be some provision for those married for a short time).

Perhaps they should ask businesses to post a £62500 guarantee bond for each imported worker!

Good. How people can complain in a forum within Thailand that people have to prove their worth to stay here, why the complaints. The UK has long been a soft touch for others to stay, get work when its own citizens can't bring their family and loved ones into the UK on similar terms.

I agree with Boris. long overdue. No doubt the liberal lefties will be up in arms. How dare the Government put UK people first.

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

British and European businessmen have a lot of financial interest in our remaining in the EU. Shareholders in companies like EDF will suffer and so will their directors. 

Big business thrives on cheap imported labour. Plentiful cheap labour equals lower wages which in turn equals bigger profits.

But Joe Bloggs doesn't thrive. Instead he finds himself queuing up in the job centre and having to live on benefits. That's why he voted to quit the EU and will do so again if he has to. He no longer wants anything to do with an organisation that destroys his livelihood.

You don't hear from Joe in the media. Newspaper men and TV and radio presenters jobs do not go to Eastern Europeans. Joe's job will if it hasn't already done so. You won't hear Joe's take on the matter  on the BBC, Sky News or LBC cos they're not interested in his opinion. In their minds along with the minds of the politicians he's just working class scum whose opinion counts for nothing.

Meanwhile back in the real world, one can go onto YouTube. There are numerous videos of Joe making a prize tit of himself on the BBC, Sky News and LBC.

4 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Yes, this is the kind of talk that made people vote brexit.

Totally incorrect, but who cares.

12 hours ago, JingerBen said:

Prepare for some tit-for-tat retaliation.

Only right for arrangements to be reciprocal.

Do you think I will feel sorry for any vote lever having to shell out nearly a hundred quid for a visa for every family member just for two weeks on the Costa del Sol??? ????

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Good. How people can complain in a forum within Thailand that people have to prove their worth to stay here, why the complaints. The UK has long been a soft touch for others to stay, get work when its own citizens can't bring their family and loved ones into the UK on similar terms.

I agree with Boris. long overdue. No doubt the liberal lefties will be up in arms. How dare the Government put UK people first.

How many Brits live in Spain and France?Bye bye.After your friend Donald bought Greenland you can retire there,nice clean air and beaches

20 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Only right for arrangements to be reciprocal.

Do you think I will feel sorry for any vote lever having to shell out nearly a hundred quid for a visa for every family member just for two weeks on the Costa del Sol??? ????

Have you a link to provide as evidence to your remark of £100 visa. I managed to find this info on visas in the event of a no deal Brexit. But why anyone would want to travel to these countries that dislike us so much, as evidenced on here, but in all fairness I can't remember a Spaniard having a go at us, so you might be ok with the Costa del Sol. Just be carefull if driving through other EU countries to get to Spain.

If there’s no deal, will I need a visa immediately after Brexit?

No. Every indication is that the European Union will classify British visitors as having “third country, visa-free” status. So from 11pm British time on 29 March 2019, UK travellers will become subject to the standard rules of admission for citizens of nations such as the US, Japan and Australia. That means your passport must have “at least six months validity remaining on the date of arrival”, according to the British government.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/brexit-travel-eu-uk-rights-passport-visa-travelling-etias-a8802471.html

5 hours ago, NightSky said:

Whats your view on it?

Well, the government will stop the current policy of discriminating against people who are not from the EU.

I believe the aim is to have a merit based system (similar to Australia) based on the contribution people can make to the country and not simply letting in any dosser they like just because their passport has EU written on it.

Whether you wife meets whatever criteria are agreed I cannot say but certainly wish you the best. The system should certainly be fairer once we stop discriminating against non EU countries.

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, the government will stop the current policy of discriminating against people who are not from the EU.

I believe the aim is to have a merit based system (similar to Australia) based on the contribution people can make to the country and not simply letting in any dosser they like just because their passport has EU written on it.

Whether you wife meets whatever criteria are agreed I cannot say but certainly wish you the best. The system should certainly be fairer once we stop discriminating against non EU countries.

This’ll go the same way as the UK visa income requirements.

The xenophobes on TVF were cheering and woopying, until it occurred that so many could not themselves meet the requirements.

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of children in the UK and EU have a mix of British and other EU nationality parents. This proposal will cause real harm to families, real legal challenges and very real costs to the nation.

A spiteful hogwash feed for the xenophobes amongst the dwindling supporter of Brexit.

If implemented it would certainly result in cruel outcomes, but for the xenophobes that’s all part of the purpose.

Jesus.

What a clusterf##k.

I'm surprised the Tories don't just declare war on the EU.

Their hatred for Europe & Johnny Foreigners is just astounding.

Insular, xenophobic. Where have i heard that before?

Hello, we are in 2019, not 1919....

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“What it does mean is that immigration into the UK will be democratically controlled and we will be producing an Australian-style points-based system to do it.”

A system that should be implemented by every country of the planet, if you ask me.

47 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This’ll go the same way as the UK visa income requirements.

The xenophobes on TVF were cheering and woopying, until it occurred that so many could not themselves meet the requirements.

Tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of children in the UK and EU have a mix of British and other EU nationality parents. This proposal will cause real harm to families, real legal challenges and very real costs to the nation.

A spiteful hogwash feed for the xenophobes amongst the dwindling supporter of Brexit.

If implemented it would certainly result in cruel outcomes, but for the xenophobes that’s all part of the purpose.

Your soapbox seems a little higher this morning.

2 hours ago, baboon said:

Meanwhile back in the real world, one can go onto YouTube. There are numerous videos of Joe making a prize tit of himself on the BBC, Sky News and LBC.

OK then, show us some clips in this 'real world' of yours in which Joe is doing just that. You'll have a job because he's more or less denied a voice on the BBC, Sky News and LBC. Then while you're at it explain why he's 'making a prize tit of himself'. 

Unfortunately they reserve their air time for middle class talking heads. 

Why don't you start with the BBC's question time. There must be plenty of Youtube clips from QT discussing the subject.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, this is the kind of talk that made people vote brexit.

Totally incorrect, but who cares.

And where have you heard this kind of talk? In the MSM?  Or from the man in the street.

And if so why is it 'totally incorrect'?

Archived