UK plans to end EU freedom of movement immediately in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

I'm not knocking the NHS nor anyone who works in it no matter where they come from. And you know I'm not.

But from another aspect of the Brexit and the immigration issue a different friend of mine to the one I mentioned in KCH just waited 18 months for a hip replacement. 

He'd worked all his life and always paid his dues.

See if you know why he waited for so long after it was decided he needed one.

Every day on the news even on the MSM we keep hearing about how over stretched the NHS is and how long waiting times are. We also hear of folk waiting two weeks to see their general practitioner (local doctor). We also hear about the massive amount of money health tourism is costing us.

Many of these 'health tourists' need interpreters to speak for them, The NHS through the tax payers (us) have to pay for them as well. Because of this extra expense those in need of interpreters are seen to first.

The general consensus of opinion is that the NHS in spite of all its virtues is in a mess.

"I'm not knocking the NHS nor anyone who works in it"

I can't see why not!  The NHS has been far from good for a long time, apart from emergencies requiring immediate action to prevent death.  Edit - A great system that has been destroyed by politicians and the financial interests from which they either gain, or from which they will gain in the future....:sad:

Entirely off topic, for which I apologise.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, transam said:

Expats paid into the system that treated folk during that time all their working life...Now if you are a Brit that thinks a pensioner with his feet up anywhere on the globe should not be looked after then you deserve a talking too..

In my case, not just a pensioner with his feet up but someone who still pays more tax than many who are fully employed in the UK and are entitled to NHS benefits. Me, not entitled? You're avin' a giraffe.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

If the Polish workers are living, working and paying in the UK, how are they abusing the NHS.

That they are also generally young, fit and in the prime of life and not likely to be using the NHS suggests the idea of Polish workers abusing the NHS is hogwash. 

A considerable number also work in the NHS.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Unfortunately, completely untrue. You've been listening to Boris's banal BS again. No customs union = hard border. There's no getting round it. The technology to impose a border with IT alone is at least 5 years away and many think that it would probably never be a practical solution.

The EU to refuse a concession on the border , so what are you saying is untrue ?  It is a unique case of a country divided by an open border and works well . The EU are saying that the only way it will continue is if there is no Brexit .  So when we wake up on November 1st who will physically build a hard border ? It has to come from the intransigent , over powered EU and that is when the new troubles will start .  

Unification of Ireland would solve the problem but I have not heard of any comments recently .

Expats paid into the system that treated folk during that time all their working life...Now if you are a Brit that thinks a pensioner with his feet up anywhere on the globe should not be looked after then you deserve a talking too..
It is the British government that thinks British pensioners with their feet up anywhere on the globe do not deserve to be looked after.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, transam said:

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I am entitled. Read my lips, I've paid 45 years worrth of NI contributions and continue to pay substantial amounts of tax into the UK economy. In my book, that makes me entitled. Would you rather I allowed the government to screw me over royally?

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

In my case, not just a pensioner with his feet up but someone who still pays more tax than many who are fully employed in the UK and are entitled to NHS benefits. Me, not entitled? You're avin' a giraffe.

Yes, not living in the UK, not entitled to NHS. How much you paid in in the past is irrelevant to the system.

26 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There is not a fixed cap on jobs. More people means more more ideas, more entrepreneurship, more wealth creation, more development and... more opportunities for all. 

Why are so many British people in Britain not working then?

Just now, yogi100 said:

Why are so many British people in Britain not working then?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/08/uk-needs-migrants-young-brits-have-bizarre-attitudes-work/

Young Britons shun low paid jobs because they have lofty aspirations, but have little experience of real work so often make bad employees, businesses and recruiters have warned.

can confirm, most working in our uk office are irish and went to study in dublin or eastern europeans ????

7 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

How many Brits live in Spain and France?Bye bye.After your friend Donald bought Greenland you can retire there,nice clean air and beaches

Well that’s pretty good, it only took 21 post for someone’s TDS to kick in and bring Trump into the conversation.

Just now, superal said:

The EU to refuse a concession on the border , so what are you saying is untrue ?  It is a unique case of a country divided by an open border and works well . The EU are saying that the only way it will continue is if there is no Brexit .  So when we wake up on November 1st who will physically build a hard border ? It has to come from the intransigent , over powered EU and that is when the new troubles will start .  

Unification of Ireland would solve the problem but I have not heard of any comments recently .

Agree that unification would solve all problems but good luck with that. It works well now because both the North and South are both in the EU i.e. in the same customs union.

The EU have not said that the only way to keep the border as it is now is to remain. Far from it, that's the whole point of the backstop. On November 1st there will be no need to build anything, don't worry, we're not going to get anything like Trump's wall. However, border posts manned by customs officers will appear, essentially checkpoints. Something that republicans are vehemently opposed to, the removal of border checkpoints was one of the red lines in the Good Friday agreement.

2 minutes ago, superal said:

yes , and I suggest E.U. to put that eventual border a few meters up on British territory … so very quick the U.K shall put their border on the correct line, so there we are, both have set up a border thanks to that   Brexit idea :whistling:  "Pot & kettle both bottoms black"

Besides was it not May's Brexit slogan " taking back control of our borders " ? 

1 minute ago, transam said:

I bet you are dribbling.....????

Why? The NHS discussion here started with someone claioming it are the Eastern Europeans and health tourism abusing the system, when i real life it seems to be the expats. So that criticism of 'the other folks' seems to be hypocritical at best.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Why? The NHS discussion here started with someone claioming it are the Eastern Europeans and health tourism abusing the system, when i real life it seems to be the expats. So that criticism of 'the other folks' seems to be hypocritical at best.

Bet you are proud to be British....????

3 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/08/uk-needs-migrants-young-brits-have-bizarre-attitudes-work/

can confirm, most working in our uk office are irish and went to study in dublin or eastern europeans ????

It's not just young people. Hordes of older British people all over the UK have been thrown on the scrapheap courtesy of Eastern European immigration.

55 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Doesn't matter how long you've paid in. If not living in the UK you are not entitled to NHS services.

Sadly, this is very true - even if you're still paying UK income tax you will be expected to pay the cost, plus another 50% (if I understand correctly).

EU citizens that are in the UK can however, either receive free treatment or pay a small annual amount to legitimately receive NHS treatment.  Again, if I understand correctly.

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

yes , and I suggest E.U. to put that eventual border a few meters up on British territory

Are you trying to start a war? Imagine if the South Koreans did that to the North Koreans. Remember, we've got nukes, the ROI hasn't!

Seriously though, yes, there would be customs officers on both sides of the border and probably a neutral zone between them.

4 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

EU citizens that are in the UK can however, either receive free treatment or pay a small annual amount to legitimately receive NHS treatment.  Again, if I understand correctly.

That's a reciprocal agreement between both parties. My in laws retired to Spain a number of years ago and M-i-L lost her marbles big time. She's recieved a large amount of free treatment in Spain including a couple of lengthly stays in hospital.

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Jeez, how many times? It is relevant to me. Screw the system if it's unfair and unjust.

As many times as necessary. As long as you claim you're not abusing the system I will make clear you are since you're not entitled to it. Does that make me happy, no, I am in the same situation myself. But that is reality, so those complaining about abuse of NHS should look at themselves first, that is my message. And if that look results in 'I think I am entitled to because I have paid in', sorry, you're kidding yourself.

58 minutes ago, Bullie said:

" What would have happened had they not gotten involved". As far as I remember you were involved because mr. Hitler decided to conquer Britain. Like you, "other European countries" were mainly helped by the UsA and Russia. Were it not for them we would now all be eating sausages and speak German, albeit in your case with an Anglo-Saxon accent.

So stop beating your chest please, the waves have not been ruled by the Brits for a very, very long time now.

Your  history needs a brush up .  The UK & France declared war on Germany 2 days after they invaded Poland and did not heed an ultimatum to cease military operations .  My statement holds firm cos without the huge input from the UK Europe would have sunk , not dismissing the allied forces especially on "D Day" but I do not want to digress from the topic .

52 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

They're getting their own back. The 7.7.05 bombings were the work of Pakistanis Muslims and one of their co religionists carried out the Manchester Arena atrocity.

The Poles don't bring prosperity to British working men, they put 'em on benefits that the rest of us have to pay for, that's not prosperity.

"The Poles don't bring prosperity to British working men, they put 'em on benefits that the rest of us have to pay for, that's not prosperity."

???? Or (for those employers that follow the rules), allow them to keep wages as low as possible.

14 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Sadly, this is very true - even if you're still paying UK income tax you will be expected to pay the cost, plus another 50% (if I understand correctly).

"EU citizens that are in the UK can however, either receive free treatment or pay a small annual amount to legitimately receive NHS treatment.  Again, if I understand correctly."

On top of that same " most " E.U. citizens can have straight full gov. treatment when even temporary go back their  Europe country 

Example ,me I have no payed back treatment from my E.U. country in Thailand , but no matter how long I bin out of my country ..at first step on my national ground I am full entitled to all my rights for treatment or other rights ,this based on my nationality I.D. card 

So far that bad selfish E.U. , also no frozen pensions but yearly upgraded with living costs , even I live in Thailand , when marriage example with Thai , upgraded with 25 % ….oh bad E,U. country  isn't it ????

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

As many times as necessary. As long as you claim you're not abusing the system I will make clear you are since you're not entitled to it. Does that make me happy, no, I am in the same situation myself. But that is reality, so those complaining about abuse of NHS should look at themselves first, that is my message. And if that look results in 'I think I am entitled to because I have paid in', sorry, you're kidding yourself.

OK. Well that could be a lenghtly debate and not for this thread, but I can assure you that I actually am entitled to free treatment in the UK.

All that is required is to have an address in the UK (I have), a British passport (I have) and to declare, when you return that you are relocating to the UK. With this, you can register with a GP and you're in. You only actually need to have secured that address the day before you register with the doctor.

13 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

Nothing to do with Brexit

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/expat-health/11633938/Government-U-turn-on-NHS-access-for-expats.html

Archived