Noodle seller, hubby caught trying to store huge haul of drugs

snoop1130

Noodle seller, hubby caught trying to store huge haul of drugs

By Kriangkrai Rattana, Khanathit Srihirundaj
The Nation

800_9a33f1a872be0c4.jpg

Police arrested a noodle seller and her husband for the possession of a million methamphetamine pills and 10 kilos of crystal meth or “ice” on August 20 at the Chiang Mai Agricultural Product Exhibition Centre, Provincial Police Region 5 Office’s investigation chief Pol Maj-General Supapol Prembutr told the press.

Following a tip-off that a large haul of drugs will be stored within the centre’s compound, police launched a stakeout for two days until the suspects showed up with the narcotics at 8am on August 20. The centre is located in tambon Chang Pheuk in Chiang Mai’s Muang district.

Police arrested noodle seller Kawi Kamonpat, 48, and her husband Supachai, 49, and confiscated the drugs along with their Mazda pick-up truck and Suzuki Swift sedan. Kawi reportedly admitted to police that she brought the drugs from Mae Taeng district to be stored at her noodle shop within the centre’s compound for a payment of Bt100,000. She said the drugs came from a Shan man identified as Zaw Ka, who will allegedly send an accomplice to collect the haul for distribution later. 

Insisting that her husband had nothing to do with the movement of narcotics, Kawi confessed to doing this before two years ago, when she was only paid Bt10,000. She said she had taken this job on because she wanted to pay off her debts. 

Surapol said he believes the narcotics had been supplied by drug traffickers based in Myanmar’s Wa state and that police will launch an investigation to arrest Myanmar national Zaw Ka and his accomplices. 

In a separate press conference on August 20, deputy National Police chief Pol General Chalermkiat Srivorakan said officers from the Narcotics Suppression Bureau had arrested Phrae resident Bancha Soparattakul, 32, along with 1.5 million methamphetamine pills in Sing Buri's In Buri district. The man was caught as he was trying to transport the narcotics – obtained in Chiang Rai – in a pick-up truck to customer in Bangkok.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375067

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-20

Great detective work as usual.sounds like the poor are the only one that pays the price while mr big won't be touched.i am against hard drugs but it's sad to read of cases where the mule will probably spend the next 10 years behind bars for the sum of 100,000b.she obviously wasn't a pro at the game and probably told too many "friends" and ones got jealous and sold her out to the cops for a few 1,000b..the prisons must be bursting at the seams with people like her that have been taken advantage of because of debt and probably uneducated.

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

She said the drugs came from a Shan man identified as Zaw Ka, who will allegedly send an accomplice to collect the haul for distribution later. 

So wouldn't it made sense to wait to report this until after the accomplice showed up, arrested, questioned him, get him to flip, etc? Guess they couldn't wait to get their pics out there.

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

Great detective work as usual.sounds like the poor are the only one that pays the price while mr big won't be touched.i am against hard drugs but it's sad to read of cases where the mule will probably spend the next 10 years behind bars for the sum of 100,000b.she obviously wasn't a pro at the game and probably told too many "friends" and ones got jealous and sold her out to the cops for a few 1,000b..the prisons must be bursting at the seams with people like her that have been taken advantage of because of debt and probably uneducated.

Great detective work my ass! It was a tip off, can't you read.

A tip off usually means for a price there is a transfer of ownership of the drugs from the old owner to a new undisclosed owner. 

14 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Driven by debt and poverty many Thai women end up in jails. The wealthy rarely suffer long jail sentences.

12 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Filthy drug meth! Life destroying ! Screw the consequences to society I just want and need money !

The moral panic about meth is rather exaggerated as is the lies told about other drugs. Its the same old rubbish as 'reefer madness'. Tobacco causes more deaths than crystal meth.

13 hours ago, Cadbury said:

A tip off usually means for a price there is a transfer of ownership of the drugs from the old owner to a new undisclosed owner. 

Exactly ! The rats here are too stupid and lazy to investigate anything and they have NEVER arrested anyone thanks to their smart investigations.

37 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

The moral panic about meth is rather exaggerated as is the lies told about other drugs. Its the same old rubbish as 'reefer madness'. Tobacco causes more deaths than crystal meth.

Yes.

And I believe that the majority of those drug addicts (cigarette smokers) who are crying and whining about Thailand's new law forbidding their stinking habit from polluting residences are the same ones raving on about the evils of (the other) drugs (and as you point out, based on lack of knowledge and government propaganda).

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Driven by debt and poverty many Thai women end up in jails. The wealthy rarely suffer long jail sentences.

The lottery is partly to blame, there is almost hysteria on lottery days when people will sell any asset to buy a lottery ticket or 2

Exactly ! The rats here are too stupid and lazy to investigate anything and they have NEVER arrested anyone thanks to their smart investigations.

Do police forces in the rest of the world use tips, someone reporting a crime, phone hotlines, etc? Or do all other police forces only work on cases witnessed by a law enforcement officer?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Kawi confessed to doing this before two years ago

Lol

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Following a tip-off

Interesting as to where that came from? These folks can't resist talking about a good story. The folks arrested probably couldn't keep their mouths shut about it either.

Lots of Bami keout noodles there! I like sen mee better myself!

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

The great detective bit was sarcasm,if you read what I said,I pointed out she was probably sold out to the cops for a few 1,000b.in other words grassed up.i wish people would read the whole reply before hitting the keyboard.

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Surely you believe in tooth fairy's as well

So your saying she must be mrs big? Let me tell you if a Thai comes into big money they can't hide it.they love to show it off,there's no mention of any sort of wealth,just a noodle stool that she's worked for years and probably a old battered scooter.no Ferrari,no kgs of gold or big property.a noodle stall.you can believe what you want.

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

If these drugs were going to an undisclosed new owner then why have they arrested the woman and paraded the drugs in front of Thai media.if it was going to be an under the table jobbie then we would of heard nothing about this case.you read to much bs that all drugs are passed on to a third party but in this case I think it's in black and white and those drugs will be destroyed and she's going to be doing some porridge time.

Archived