BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Huawei Angers China After Listing Taiwan as a Country

Chinese netizens are calling Huawei out to apologize and threatening a boycott after the company listed Taiwan as another country in their phone’s settings.

Huawei phone users discovered that when the time zone of the handset is changed, Taiwan’s capital is listed as “Taipei (China)” when viewing in simplified Chinese characters, but it becomes listed as “Taipei (Taiwan)” when it is set to traditional characters, according to Shanghaiist.

Many netizens took to social media to voice their outrage and demanded the company to offer an apology. Some even threatened to boycott Huawei through a hashtag, which has since reportedly been removed from social media platforms.

As a result, Huawei changed the software setting of its phones to show “Taiwan (China)” listed in both Chinese characters when inside China and just “Taiwan” when in other countries.

Full article

Sinking economy, tariffs, Hong Kong, and a laundry list of serious problems...Chinese get their panties in a wad over the naming of Taiwan..."can not fix stupid"...😂

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Sinking economy, tariffs, Hong Kong, and a laundry list of serious problems...Chinese get their panties in a wad over the naming of Taiwan..."can not fix stupid"...😂

I wouldn't call them stupid. Unfortunately authoritarian regimes are showing the world that they have a lot of advantages over democracies especially with the situation now in the so called leader of the free world. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't call them stupid. Unfortunately authoritarian regimes are showing the world that they have a lot of advantages over democracies especially with the situation now in the so called leader of the free world. 

not only him..

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I will give you one advantage...if the Chinese were in-charge...there would be NO illegal immigration problem...😳

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

What are you talking about ??   🙂
Huawei made Chinese consumers angry by saying or implying that Taiwan is a seperate country. Huawei then corrected the mistake. It was not the Beijing government that ordered Huawei to correct the mistake, it was the anger from Chinese consumers that did this. Although off-course, if Chinese consumers had of said nothing, well, Beijing would have acted.

So Chinese consumers threatened a boycott against Huawei. Well, surely, that is their freedom to do so ? What this shows is, is that even if the Beijing government were to take no action, the consumers in China will themselves take action. And their action is, is a boycott. And yes, nobody wants Chinese consumers to boycott their product. So, Chinese consumers have got things their way. Huawei very quickly corrected the mistake. I do think though, Huawei would have corrected the mistake even if there was no threat of a boycott.

You talk about how you can't fix stupid ?  Look, the tariffs that America might slap on will greatly harm America when Beijing retaliates with it's own tariffs against American goods. As for Hong Kong, the demonstraters are no longer blocking the airport. Good. Who cares about demonstraters blocking the main streets of Hong Kong ? Nobody outside of Hong Kong cares if the centre of Hong Kong is brought to a standstill.

You want to talk about stupid ? How about ignoring Denmark because, because Denmark won't talk about selling Greenland ? How about wanting to stop a big Iranian oil tanker, when Europe has released the oil tanker ?

Edited by tonbridgebrit

14 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

What this shows is, is that even if the Beijing government were to take no action, the consumers in China will themselves take action.

yes. But this only happened after years and years of brainwashing.

"Let me control the media and I will turn any nation into a herd of pigs"  (quote from Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels)

Everybody knows that Taiwan is an independent country. And after they saw what happened on Tiananmen Square and now in Hong Kong you can be sure that they will do everything they can to keep it that way.

If consumers in China had access to free press they would know that Taiwan is an independent country. And they would not have been upset about this.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dimitriv said:

yes. But this only happened after years and years of brainwashing.

"Let me control the media and I will turn any nation into a herd of pigs"  (quote from Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels)

Everybody knows that Taiwan is an independent country. And after they saw what happened on Tiananmen Square and now in Hong Kong you can be sure that they will do everything they can to keep it that way.

If consumers in China had access to free press they would know that Taiwan is an independent country. And they would not have been upset about this.

"Everybody knows that Taiwan is an independent country".  🙂
Actually, it's not. Taiwan is a de facto independent place. It's a place that has self-rule, correct, the guys in Beijing are unable to make any rules that govern Taiwan. But it's not an independent nation.

Taiwan does not have a seat at the United Nations, and Taiwan does not have an Embassy in America, or any other major nation. I say with a smirk on my face, there is no Taiwan Embassy in London, and so, I don't recognise Taiwan as a nation or a country. There is a Chinese Embassy in London, it is the Embassy of Peoples' Republic of China, it is not the Embassy of "Republic of China, Taiwan".   🙂

There is a Thai Embassy in London, a Vietnamese Embassy, a North Korea Embassy. Any nation that has an Embassy in London, I recognise it to be an independent nation. By the way, ISIS previously held a lot of land in Syria, ISIS controlled the territory, but ISIS was never an independent nation. They never had an Embassy in London, and they had no seat at the UN, but they still had control over their territory.

Do consumers in China know that Taiwan has no seat at the United Nations ? Do Chinese consumers know that Taiwan has no embassies at any major countries ? I think they do know.

You've mentioned Nazi Germany.  Okay, prior to World War Two, yes, I think it would have been a good idea for America and Britain to have put up sanctions against Nazi Germany. I mean, why trade with Nazi Germany, when they was building up their military ? Is China similar to Nazi Germany ? Off-course not. If China is similar to Nazi Germany, if China is a threat to world peace, well, yes, I would certainly support international sanctions against China. Ban all Chinese goods entering into America and Europe. But that's only if China is similar to Nazi Germany. It's not.   🙂

10 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"Everybody knows that Taiwan is an independent country".  🙂
Actually, it's not. Taiwan is a de facto independent place. It's a place that has self-rule, correct, the guys in Beijing are unable to make any rules that govern Taiwan. But it's not an independent nation.

Taiwan does not have a seat at the United Nations, and Taiwan does not have an Embassy in America, or any other major nation. I say with a smirk on my face, there is no Taiwan Embassy in London, and so, I don't recognise Taiwan as a nation or a country. There is a Chinese Embassy in London, it is the Embassy of Peoples' Republic of China, it is not the Embassy of "Republic of China, Taiwan".   🙂

There is a Thai Embassy in London, a Vietnamese Embassy, a North Korea Embassy. Any nation that has an Embassy in London, I recognise it to be an independent nation. By the way, ISIS previously held a lot of land in Syria, ISIS controlled the territory, but ISIS was never an independent nation. They never had an Embassy in London, and they had no seat at the UN, but they still had control over their territory.

Do consumers in China know that Taiwan has no seat at the United Nations ? Do Chinese consumers know that Taiwan has no embassies at any major countries ? I think they do know.

You've mentioned Nazi Germany.  Okay, prior to World War Two, yes, I think it would have been a good idea for America and Britain to have put up sanctions against Nazi Germany. I mean, why trade with Nazi Germany, when they was building up their military ? Is China similar to Nazi Germany ? Off-course not. If China is similar to Nazi Germany, if China is a threat to world peace, well, yes, I would certainly support international sanctions against China. Ban all Chinese goods entering into America and Europe. But that's only if China is similar to Nazi Germany. It's not.   🙂

We can discuss the definition of country. But on Wikipedia (that website that is blocked in China because the Chinese government is afraid that their citizens can read the truth about politics and what happened on Tiananmen square) there is a definition I like:

A country is a region that is identified as a distinct entity in political geography. ... There is no hard and fast definition of what regions are countries and which are not. Countries can refer both to sovereign states and to other political entities, while other times it can refer only to states.

There is no need to have a seat in the UN. There is also no need to have an embassy in London. Especially if you know that China threatens countries who want to have relations with Taiwan. For a country to be a country it is also not required to be recognized as a country by you. 

Is China a threat to world peace ?  Yes. They claim territory, land and sea of other countries. Attacked other countries and occupy them. They are not afraid to use and threaten with force and violence. There is a strong military build up. There is 100% government control on information and press. There are concentration camps inside China where political opponents and people of different origin and religion are locked up. People are brainwashed with an alternative truth. If someone would describe one of the provinces in my country as an independent country I would probably shrug and continue with my daily work. What happened in China is proof that people are indoctrinated and being set against each other.

And as long as countries and people put money above principles, there will be no sanctions. But that does not mean that this would not be justified.

Republic of China

中華民國  (Chinese)

A red flag, with a small blue rectangle in the top left hand corner on which sits a white sun composed of a circle surrounded by 12 rays.A blue circular emblem on which sits a white sun composed of a circle surrounded by 12 rays.

Taiwan, officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a state in East Asia. Neighbouring states include the People's Republic of China (PRC) to the west, 

• Thanks 1