Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Aug 20th

webfact

Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Aug 20th

%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%88%E0%

Effective 20th August, traffic police have no authority to confiscate the driving license of the driver of an automobile or motorcycle when being stopped for a traffic violation under the new Land Traffic Act B.E. 2562.

Traffic police still have the authority to issue penalty tickets on the spot to a motorist or a motorcyclist for violating traffic laws.

When the driver is not present, such as in the case of illegal parking, the ticket can be attached to the vehicle or, alternatively, sent by registered mail to the address of the driver or the car owner together with evidence of the violation. Under the new law, a driver must carry a driving license, a photo copy of the license or electronic information about the license with him or her and must produce it to a police officer on request.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/traffic-police-cannot-confiscate-drivers-license-under-a-new-traffic-law-in-effect-from-aug-20th/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-21

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

Under the new law, a driver must carry a driving license, a photo copy of the license or electronic information about the license with him or her and must produce it to a police officer on request.

Let's see how that works out.

If motorists have a few photocopies of their licence to show the police, won't that reduce the chance of any "fine" being paid?

I can see if it was produced on a smartphone, their could possibly be some 'reluctance' by the police to return the phone.

31 minutes ago, webfact said:

in the case of illegal parking

With the new points system this should also be awarded points loss for breaches,  a blatant disregard for other road users that is all to common.

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Someone better inform the traffic police of this and update they daily about it. 

That said, they will just take your keys so make sure YOU pull out your keys and put them away at a stop.

True statement who tells the monkey? Seeing the organ grinder recently stated many of these money collectors dont know the road rules and will be retested.

I have yet to see a mobile, traffic cop pull over any type moving vehicle in Pattaya for a moving violation. I drive a car here everyday and have driven across Thailand as well. The absence of trained, mobile police is evident and is a factor in the abysmal statistics of roadway deaths in this country.

14 minutes ago, legend49 said:

True statement who tells the monkey? Seeing the organ grinder recently stated many of these money collectors dont know the road rules and will be retested.

Surely: and will pay to be retested in order to pass.

9 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I have yet to see a mobile, traffic cop pull over any type moving vehicle in Pattaya for a moving violation. I drive a car here everyday and have driven across Thailand as well. The absence of trained, mobile police is evident and is a factor in the abysmal statistics of roadway deaths in this country.

Hard to see them when they don't exist!

34 minutes ago, Benmart said:

I see highway police, both in cars and on powerful motorcycles, most times I am on a main highway. They often have a vehicle pulled over. There is a highway patrol police station 10 km from my home. I do however agree that they should do more. Then again it is all a bit pointless at the moment as there is no comeback if people don't pay fines.

i sent my agent to the cop shop as i had had 3 fines, for offences plus photo evidence, of me in my blue ford pick up, the only thing was i did not own a vehicle and did not even have a licence then, he had a hard time convincing them it was not me, anyhow he said there was a pile about 3 feet high of unpaid fines on the desk, as said they dont care a monkeys about the law. they need to start seizing vehicles until fines are paid

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the new law, a driver must carry a driving license, a photo copy of the license or electronic information about the license with him or her and must produce it to a police officer on request.

New law! So what was the 'old' law? Not necessary to carry, or even have a license, to drive/ride? No wonder so many Thais are driving/riding around without one.

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Spot on, I drove to Chiang Mai 11 hours from home, not one cop on the road, not one roadblock, on the way back as we left Chiang Mai, we noticed a cop every 100 or so metres on the opposite side of the road for so so so many kilometres, literally at every street coming to join the main road, Big C, petrol stations etc etc, no doubt some big brass was coming into town, might even be royalty, after that, again, not one cop for the remainder of the journey home, actually I tell a lie, there was one roadblock in the mountains, as I slowed down with the vehicles in front of me, this young kid (police), not real police my wife told me, looked at me when I stopped, stood back and saluted me, and of course I gave him the royal salute ????

Now if I was back in my country, I reckon I would have seen a fair few highway patrols on the road, if not, I would have been flashed a few times from their robotic brothers (speed cameras, both fixed and mobile).

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

So you haven't ever been stuck in the gridlock caused by regular checkpoints on Sukhumvit, either by the traffic police depot or opposite Tesco just after Thepprasit. 

Every car is stopped to check road tax, occasionally licence.

Every bike is pulled over and thoroughly searched.

Archived