Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Aug 20th

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Under the new law, a driver must carry a driving license, a photo copy of the license or electronic information about the license with him or her and must produce it to a police officer on request.

Or else what?

Does the new law specify the penalty for not producing the driver's license, et al, such as vehicle seizure, arrest, immediate fine, etc.? If not the law is unenforceable except in a capricious and arbitrary manner.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Let's see how that works out.

If motorists have a few photocopies of their licence to show the police, won't that reduce the chance of any "fine" being paid?

I can see if it was produced on a smartphone, their could possibly be some 'reluctance' by the police to return the phone.

no reluctance: They the BIB have better, high-class phones than the average farang

2 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Tell that to the Thai police officer who stops you! Ha! 

Trust me I will then get arrested for telling off a Police Officer then get paid for false arrest. Simple just politely decline 

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

I have yet to see a mobile, traffic cop pull over any type moving vehicle in Pattaya for a moving violation. I drive a car here everyday and have driven across Thailand as well. The absence of trained, mobile police is evident and is a factor in the abysmal statistics of roadway deaths in this country.

Moving traffic cops... mobile police. 

Its hard to work out the intentions of many police vehicles, as they drive around with the reds lights flashing away, as if to say,

"look at me" 

Any other countries and the flashing lights mean,

"pull over, you're booked"...

1 hour ago, Teacherduck said:

That makes sense (not). So you can be rotten drunk, get a ticket and keep driving. Just goes to show how many brains there are in this country.

Common sense (what the hell is that?)

For DUI, one actually gets arrested and appears in court.

What about the on old guys or kids on bikes with no helmets on or even a licence to confiscate in the first instance? Seems like shady targeted system..

Every day now on this forum being headlined its seems is immigration or Police come out with a new rule, law etc... Or are they having a wager who can upset the most tourist and the poor... crazy

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Effective 20th August, traffic police have no authority to confiscate the driving license of the driver of an automobile or motorcycle when being stopped for a traffic violation under the new Land Traffic Act B.E. 2562.

What they have or have no authority to do is irrelevant. They will do whatever they want to do, and with immunity. Try telling a cop he has no authority to do something and see where it gets you.

6 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

What about the on old guys or kids on bikes with no helmets on or even a licence to confiscate in the first instance? Seems like shady targeted system..

They will be sent on their way......

2 hours ago, PEE TEE said:

good morning officer . i wuz just aving a cig in me car cos i cant smoke in me house . ears a copy of me licence and photo copy.a copy ov me passport and photo copy and a satalite tracking device for me TM30

Allo allo whats all this then gov.

1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

So you haven't ever been stuck in the gridlock caused by regular checkpoints on Sukhumvit, either by the traffic police depot or opposite Tesco just after Thepprasit. 

Every car is stopped to check road tax, occasionally licence.

Every bike is pulled over and thoroughly searched.

A Moving violation is NOT a road side check ! 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Spot on, I drove to Chiang Mai 11 hours from home, not one cop on the road, not one roadblock, on the way back as we left Chiang Mai, we noticed a cop every 100 or so metres on the opposite side of the road for so so so many kilometres, literally at every street coming to join the main road, Big C, petrol stations etc etc, no doubt some big brass was coming into town, might even be royalty, after that, again, not one cop for the remainder of the journey home, actually I tell a lie, there was one roadblock in the mountains, as I slowed down with the vehicles in front of me, this young kid (police), not real police my wife told me, looked at me when I stopped, stood back and saluted me, and of course I gave him the royal salute ????

Now if I was back in my country, I reckon I would have seen a fair few highway patrols on the road, if not, I would have been flashed a few times from their robotic brothers (speed cameras, both fixed and mobile).

Your (speeding)ticket is in the mail!!!!

2 hours ago, essox essox said:

it should be a court that "takes" a licence not these BIBs....

It should be the court that deals with the fines ticket NOT the police, then the money goes to the treasury,  Well maybe.

In twelve years of residence in LOS I never gave my license to the BIB.I used to feign shock at having left my license at home with my wallet and all cash!Many,many times they stopped me and then let me proceed without a donation and when they did fine me it was B250 for not carrying my license and this saved me a trip through traffic and finding a parking spot down on Beach Rd...cheap at half the price!

The problem with handing over the license was that they would make up an offence(going through red light etc)and charge B1000 and you had to pay to get the license back plus all the time wasted on a round trip from the Darkside to Beach Rd.

Archived