Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Aug 20th

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, dcnx said:

Someone better inform the traffic police of this and update they daily about it. 

That said, they will just take your keys so make sure YOU pull out your keys and put them away at a stop.

Not that easy as the most of the cars sold today are keyless … :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, dcnx said:

Someone better inform the traffic police of this and update they daily about it. 

That said, they will just take your keys so make sure YOU pull out your keys and put them away at a stop.

And wear protective clothes in case if they kick you off your bike. 

Driving through surathani town 2 weeks ago was stopped midday in random check point at junction near big tesco, 4 people in car all wearing seat belts-check, valid Thai drivers licence - check and he keeps hold of it, valid registration and insurance-check, owners log-mai me/only copy...400baht ticket telling me usually 2,000baht before wishing me choc dee????...i smiled and walked away. I still won't keep original book in the vehicle in case it's pinched but felt at 400baht it wasn't worth arguing the point. 

A little confusion on the Date Is it 20 Aug or 20 Sep??

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/traffic-police-cannot-confiscate-drivers-license-under-a-new-traffic-law-in-effect-from-aug-20th/ When you click on this, PBS article states:

Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Sept 20th

Thaisvisa first paragraph states:

Effective 20th August, traffic police have no authority to confiscate the driving license of the driver of an automobile or motorcycle when being stopped for a traffic violation under the new Land Traffic Act B.E. 2562.

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Let's see how that works out.

If motorists have a few photocopies of their licence to show the police, won't that reduce the chance of any "fine" being paid?

I can see if it was produced on a smartphone, their could possibly be some 'reluctance' by the police to return the phone.

In the days when it was easy to get an international driving licence and before I ever applied for a Thai licence, I must confess that I was in the habit of picking up multiple IDPs on visits to the UK and leaving them in the care of traffic policemen.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:26 AM, leeneeds said:

With the new points system this should also be awarded points loss for breaches,  a blatant disregard for other road users that is all to common.

It’s okay to illegally park if you put your emergency lights on 555

Hmmm, me thinks this will all be forgotten by the end of the month.   In Muang Phitsanulok they are now using a traffic camera to book law breakers.  Can't have those nice policeman standing out in the hot sun to much can we.  Ps: The wife's daughter got pinched by a traffic camera twice (2 x 400 baht) for no helmet...in the same week!

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Hmmm, me thinks this will all be forgotten by the end of the month.   In Muang Phitsanulok they are now using a traffic camera to book law breakers.  Can't have those nice policeman standing out in the hot sun to much can we.  Ps: The wife's daughter got pinched by a traffic camera twice (2 x 400 baht) for no helmet...in the same week!

15 hours ago, domomc said:

Driving through surathani town 2 weeks ago was stopped midday in random check point at junction near big tesco, 4 people in car all wearing seat belts-check, valid Thai drivers licence - check and he keeps hold of it, valid registration and insurance-check, owners log-mai me/only copy...400baht ticket telling me usually 2,000baht before wishing me choc dee????...i smiled and walked away. I still won't keep original book in the vehicle in case it's pinched but felt at 400baht it wasn't worth arguing the point. 

Extortion; you should make a big play on social media, report it to a Senior Officer at the Police Station with TV camera's in attendance and get your money back !

15 hours ago, PaceArrow said:

A little confusion on the Date Is it 20 Aug or 20 Sep??

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/traffic-police-cannot-confiscate-drivers-license-under-a-new-traffic-law-in-effect-from-aug-20th/ When you click on this, PBS article states:

Traffic police cannot confiscate driver’s license under a new traffic law in effect from Sept 20th

Thaisvisa first paragraph states:

Effective 20th August, traffic police have no authority to confiscate the driving license of the driver of an automobile or motorcycle when being stopped for a traffic violation under the new Land Traffic Act B.E. 2562.

Whatever date is correct you can bet your local pot bellied, disinterested Cop out collecting Tea Money will not know about it anyway; but do i want to argue with a man with a gun and a childish and defective mind while i'm just out doing a bit of shopping ?    Don't think so, so he can keep my licence as long as he wants it !

not in Pattaya, i was stopped yesterday by a policeman for a minor error and got a fine, but he also took my Thai driving license and i had to go the the police station on beach road to pay the fine of 400 baht to get my license  back.

Archived