Trump calls off meeting with Danish prime minister over Greenland comments

webfact

Trump calls off meeting with Danish prime minister over Greenland comments

2019-08-21T001357Z_1_LYNXNPEF7K00C_RTROPTP_4_GERMANY-MERKEL-ICELAND.JPG

Denmark's Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen attends a news conference during the annual informal summer meeting of the Nordic prime ministers in Reykjavik, Iceland August 20, 2019. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump said on Tuesday he was postponing his scheduled meeting with Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen in two weeks because of her lack of interest in his offer to purchase Greenland.

"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump said in a post on Twitter.

Trump, who is due to visit Copenhagen early next month, did not make clear if he was cancelling the trip altogether.

(Reporting by David Alexander; Editing by Mohammad Zargham)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, PremiumLane said:

He really is an utter embarrassment. I had no love for Obama and other US presidents, but this guy is the crowning glory on the sh*t pile 

On a par with Nixon and Bush!

Trump cancels Denmark visit over after rebuff over Greenland

2019-08-21T011904Z_1_LYNXNPEF7K01W_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-GREENLAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen and Kim Kielsen, Premier of Greenland, attend a press conference in Nuuk, Greenland August 19, 2019. Ritzau Scanpix/Mads Claus Rasmussen via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday called off a visit to Denmark scheduled for early September after the country's prime minister rebuffed his idea of purchasing Greenland.

"Denmark is a very special country with incredible people, but based on Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen’s comments, that she would have no interest in discussing the purchase of Greenland, I will be postponing our meeting scheduled in two weeks for another time," Trump said in a post on Twitter.

"The Prime Minister was able to save a great deal of expense and effort for both the United States and Denmark by being so direct. I thank her for that and look forward to rescheduling sometime in the future!"

A White House official said Trump had dropped the Sept. 2-3 stop in Denmark, a NATO ally. Trump had been due to discuss the Arctic in meetings in Copenhagen with Frederiksen, who took office in June, and Prime Minister Kim Kielsen of Greenland.

He is due to visit Poland on Aug. 31.

Frederiksen said on Sunday the idea of selling Greenland to the United States was absurd after an economic adviser to Trump confirmed U.S. interest in buying the world's largest island.

"Greenland is not for sale. Greenland is not Danish. Greenland belongs to Greenland. I strongly hope that this is not meant seriously," Frederiksen told the newspaper Sermitsiaq during a visit to Greenland.

Trump confirmed to reporters on Sunday that he had recently discussed the possibility of buying Greenland, an autonomous Danish territory, although he said such a move was not an immediate priority.

"The concept came up and ... strategically it's interesting," Trump told reporters in Morristown, New Jersey.

A defence treaty between Denmark and the United States dating back to 1951 gives the U.S. military rights over the Thule Air Base in northern Greenland.

Trump's interest in buying Greenland has been met with incredulity and humour. Lars Lokke Rasmussen, who recently stepped down as Danish prime minister, tweeted last week: "It must be an April Fool’s Day joke."

On Monday, Trump retweeted an image of a golden Trump tower looming over a cluster of houses on the Arctic island, and wrote: "I promise not to do this to Greenland!"

(Reporting by Steve Holland and David Alexander; Editing by Mohammad Zargham and Peter Cooney)

I wonder how his fanboys are going to explain this one? Maybe it’s part of the wall strategy? Or are we not good enough at playing 4-D chess that he’s supposedly so good at?  

Nice diversion though from an economy tanking. 

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I see nothing wrong with exploring the idea. Long shot and didn't happen and so what?  not the first time and he made a joke about it. The haters will always hate.

Agreed. But why cancel the meeting? Buying Greenland wasn't even on the agenda when the meeting was scheduled.

Not just Mette Frederiksen. The Danish Royal Family, and the whole population of both Denmark and of course Greenland oppose it. We do NOT sell a part of Denmark to anybody. That happened before year 1800, but certainly NOT anymore. It is NOT just an Apprentice Show. Bad show anyway, where he can buy what he want. Lunatic we call it. And what should Denmark with Trumpets all over Greenland? We have Polar Bears and great nature. That is what Greenland is about. Not Trumpets.

11 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Fair point.

He invited himself for Gala Dinner and everything with our Queen, made everything up regarding security and all, and then cancel the meeting. That is so bad. You are only cancelling if there is war, Death in nearest family or other serious problems at home in the country. But this just show what a Spoiled Toddler The Orange Trumpet is. So bad. But at least the whole world can see what a MORON he is. So bad for the former GREAT Country USA. The Greatness is disappeared since he took office.

16 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I see nothing wrong with exploring the idea. Long shot and didn't happen and so what?  not the first time and he made a joke about it. The haters will always hate.

It was a ridiculous idea. Sure, seen from a U.S. centric point of view there would be advantages to having control over Greenland, but to believe in this day and age that a country would sell part of their national territory (including the people living there) is absurd.

How to you think the U.S. (and Trump) would have reacted, if the Canadian prime minister had started talking about buying Alaska from the U.S.?

Sophon

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I think what was meant is, the joke called off his meeting with the Danish PM.

I never said anything about he called it off because of a joke. I said he even joked about buying (knowing it was a long shot). Calling it off was petulance and stupid but he's guided by his emotions much of the time.

I figure every time he comes up with a lunatic idea like this, it's just one more nail in his coffin (or another foot towards his jail cell). The world knows that he is luny, with stunts like this, he just may prove that to the majority of the electorate.

Go Donny, go.

3 minutes ago, Morty T said:

Diplomatic meetings and conferences are arranged months in advance, this topic was already on the table. The POTUS let the subject fly, and the Danish PM backtracked to save face. Nothing new here. 

You sound like Trump with his alternative facts. The topic was not on the table when the meeting was arranged. The idea came straight out of his addled brain at 3am and he tweeted it. Nothing new there.

Archived