Trump calls off meeting with Danish prime minister over Greenland comments

webfact

It could have been such a wonderful meeting-  If Denmark didn't want  to sell greenland Trump could have suggested a 3 way  swap of say Santa Fe, New Mexico for Greenland and a power sharing deal with Kabul as long as the Taliban were given unfettered mineral rights to Las Vegas.  Throw in a week's full stay at Mar A Logo in Florida and  no fee  US Tourist Visa for life- A  good time  for all.

Good Lord- Only Donald Trump would cancel  a formal visit to a Nato Ally because they didn't want to sell a piece of their country.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

As the ice melts across the whole of the Arctic and competition for newly-accessible resources hots up, I don't suppose the Russians - or indeed the Chinese - will be particularly sensitive to Greenlander or Danish wishes. The Norwegians are already in competition with the Russians over fishing round Svalbard. Some time over the next few years, choices will have to be made when the Usofans ask for extra territory & territorial rights for their big base in the north of Greenland. And it won't be just for listening & watching purposes.

I imagine the Canadians are watching all of this with interest too. They already have formerly-Russian Alaska on their north-west frontier. And now their north-east frontier is looking fragile, as well as their deep deep north ...

And in the deep deep south (Antarctica), Oz is also worried about non-agreed Chinese activity in nominally Australian territory.

This is all true , do you think Trump is planning to buy China and Russia as well ?

18 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

We could blame it on the democrat party - after all, they chose that Clinton woman to challenge him in the elections.

Yes, they made some major mistakes on the way, especially the way Sanders was railroaded was disgusting.

After 25 years of doing business in Denmark and having made lifelong friendships there I can say that Denmark is a nation of proud but open-minded and down to earth people. Why would anyone, let alone a US president want to insult them like that.

I'm embarrassed simply for belonging to the same ethnic group as this conceited dullard.

If there are any Danish people on this forum, my most humble apologies to you for the behvior of my president. I suspect you know by now he is impetuous and impulsive, and most probably spoiled; and of course like a spoiled child cancelled his meeting with your prime minister. I am sure the Danish people are sophisticated enough to know that the real Amereican people do not actually think we can buy and sell a territory like corner real estate. 

I have never heard any residents of Greenland complain about being connected to Denmark and if there are complaints, I am confident the complaints are far fewer from Greenlanders toward Denmark than Puerto Ricans toward America. 

The president's proposal is so absurd and his cancellation of the meeting so ridiculously childish it will allow him enough wiggle room to walk it back and say he was joking if he feels it is beneficial for him.

I have visited your country and I loved it. My only complaint is the cocktails were very expensive.

7 hours ago, Sophon said:

It was a ridiculous idea. Sure, seen from a U.S. centric point of view there would be advantages to having control over Greenland, but to believe in this day and age that a country would sell part of their national territory (including the people living there) is absurd.

How to you think the U.S. (and Trump) would have reacted, if the Canadian prime minister had started talking about buying Alaska from the U.S.?

Sophon

With a population of less than 57,000 and enough money to go around for each and every inhabitant might change people’s hearts and minds...  There are other powers in the world that might be interested in such strategic location between the United States and Northern Europe, and they may or may not be willing to pay.

For example, a rising power like China could take it by force if interested.  Then who would the Danes look too to protect there interested in Greenland.  Just perhaps Trump is just trying to inoculate himself from having to come to the aid of Greenland, the Danes, and the European Union.

Let's see what Trump could say if he chose not to defend Greenland;

"Look I offered to buy Greenland and they said never, we never want to be American."  "How can I demand the American people to shed American Blood and Treasure for a people who hate America."  "I have to stop this madness at some point, if we entered and prevailed then what, which European Country would ask for protection next, England against the EU?" 

11 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I see nothing wrong with exploring the idea. Long shot and didn't happen and so what?  not the first time and he made a joke about it. The haters will always hate.

Seems strange that the Danes are unwilling to discuss this privately.  Out right rebuff means conditions are not right for any meetings, perhaps a change is on its way...  

51 minutes ago, jinjo said:

"Look I offered to buy Greenland and they said never, we never want to be American."  "How can I demand the American people to shed American Blood and Treasure for a people who hate America."  "I have to stop this madness at some point, if we entered and prevailed then what, which European Country would ask for protection next, England against the EU?" 

Most people would be hard pressed to come up with a more ridiculous statement than yours about Greenland. Because refusing to sell Greenland to the United States means that Denmark hates America? Really?

But you might just have done it with this: "I have to stop this madness at some point, if we entered and prevailed then what, which European Country would ask for protection next, England against the EU?" 

Congratulations! 

No problem, maybe Iceland is for sale. I am told (by some) that everything has a price and can be bought. Hmmm, perhaps Kiwis would like to be bought by "The Donald". Yes, of course I am being facetious. I would hope all world nations will publicly laugh at this POTUS so far out of his depth. We Americans will try to correct this aberration in a rather forceful way come the elections of 2020.

9 hours ago, keith101 said:

Greenland has gold and jewels and probably oil which is why he wants it so why would they sell to this a/hole when they can get it for themselves .

Greenland is widely believed to hold excellent potential for a host of natural resources, including zinc, lead, gold, iron ore, heavy and light rare earth elements, copper and oil.

And who elected this queen to speak for Denmark? Who even knew(or cared) that Denmark has one? The honor was all hers, to meet the most famous man in the world. All the glossy pics she would treasure for all time. She totally blew this. Trump has better things to do with his time anyway.

5 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

who elected this queen to speak for Denmark? Who even knew(or cared) that Denmark has one? The honor was all hers, to meet the most famous man in the world. All the glossy pics she would treasure for all time. She totally blew this. Trump has better things to do with his time anyway.

Denmark has its own queen, but she did not speak, it was the Danish Prime Minister, the elected head of democratic government

Greenland also has its own elected government, but POTUS wanted to talk with Danish head

Dodged a bullet not having to spend time with POTUS 

16 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

And who elected this queen to speak for Denmark? Who even knew(or cared) that Denmark has one? The honor was all hers, to meet the most famous man in the world. All the glossy pics she would treasure for all time. She totally blew this. Trump has better things to do with his time anyway.

The greenlandic Inuit population has to be kept out of the reach of Trump's greed. Period. 

37 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Well he bought a piece of Scotland and regretted it. You don't mess with the Jocks.

One of the first things I learnt when moving to Thailand all those years ago was that you should never mess with a guy in a skirt!

10 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I see nothing wrong with exploring the idea. Long shot and didn't happen and so what?  not the first time and he made a joke about it. The haters will always hate.

Apart from the fact that Denmark had already spent a lot of money on preparations. The man is a utter moron.

Why someone would utter a statement such as 'haters will hate' just boggles the mind. Sounds like the words of a pimp to justify their abhorrent behaviour.

14 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

This comment most certainly illustrates the intelligence of the average Trump supporter.

It was the Queen who formally invited him in July.

The Prime Minister is the one who uttered aloud that she thought it was a April Fool's Day joke to suggest the sale of Greenland.

The man is an utter moron. No ifs nor buts.

Archived