Thai Retirement Visa Changes again in Chon Buri

Yesterday I went to the Immigration Office in Jomtien to get my 90 day stamp for my retirement visa which will expire on November 7 2019.
I'd visited my home country of Australia recently and covered my return with a re-entry Visa before I'd disembarked.
However, upon arrival at the front desk at the Chin Buri office yesterday, I was told that I now have to report to Immigration each time I come back.
I wasn't given a time frame so I assume it would either be 10 or 7 days?? (I've never had to do that in the past 20 years of living here, 6 of those being on a retirement visa)
I also had to get a residency certificate in order to replace my soon to expire 2 year temporary Thai driver's licence with a 5 year one.  
Upon sitting in front of the Immigration policeman to have it issued, he pointed out that my Visa was to expire on Nov 7 (Which I was already aware of).
He then told me that after I get my new retirement visa on or before November 7, I have to come back on the 17th of November, to verify my place of residence.
That seems to be another ridiculous thing to have to do since I'll be providing that on the 7th.
Are these changes yet another attempt to make it difficult for farangs to live in Thailand? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, kellio said:

Yesterday I went to the Immigration Office in Jomtien to get my 90 day stamp for my retirement visa which will expire on November 7 2019.
I'd visited my home country of Australia recently and covered my return with a re-entry Visa before I'd disembarked.
However, upon arrival at the front desk at the Chin Buri office yesterday, I was told that I now have to report to Immigration each time I come back.
I wasn't given a time frame so I assume it would either be 10 or 7 days?? (I've never had to do that in the past 20 years of living here, 6 of those being on a retirement visa)

This is basically the TM 28 / TM30 paperwork and must be done within 24hrs of return to your home.

Up to now it used to be NO new TM30 if on retirement extension and returning to same address after any trip. For Jomtien.

I was sent away 1 year ago and told this after my 4th. notification after short trip within TH 

Has this changed now?? 

Regards 

MS>

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baansgr said:

I think he means your next 90 day report is 17th November

I would have thought that after getting a new visa, the next 90 day would be 90 days after the issue date of the new visa.
He specifically said that it will be to prove residency.
In addition, my 90 day report is not actually due until August 28 but since I need a residency certificate in order to renew my driver's licence, I killed 2 birds with the one stone by making the 90 day report early.

Edited by kellio
extra info

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

The 17th November is when your next 90 day report is due, the extension of stay application doesn't count as a 90 day report unless it is the first extension, has been like this for years.

As previously mentioned, he specifically pointed out that the 17th visit will be to prove place of residence.
Why would you think anything else?

8 minutes ago, kellio said:

I would have thought that after getting a new visa, the next 90 day would be 90 days after the issue date of the new visa.
He specifically said that it will be to prove residency.

The 90 report is for residing in the country for 90 continuous days. If you recently returned from Australia then it is 90 days from your last entry into Thailand. Otherwise it is 90 days since your last 90 day report. 90 reports have nothing to do with your extension of stay or visa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kellio said:

I live in a condo I own.

When you travel to someplace else and return to the condo that you own you need to file a TM30 within 24 hours after you arrive home. This applies to renters such as myself too. It is something hotels have been doing for decades using the copy of your passport. The TM30 requirement used to only be enforced for hotels but has, this year, been expanded to include foreigners living in condos and houses. You need to learn the exact requirements from your immigration office because it varies somewhat from office to office. You will definitely need to have a TM30 filed in order for you to get a 1 year extension of stay. There is a fine for being late which varies from 800 - 2000 baht. 

The 90 report is for residing in the country for 90 continuous days. If you recently returned from Australia then it is 90 days from your last entry into Thailand. Otherwise it is 90 days since your last 90 day report. 90 reports have nothing to do with your extension of stay or visa.

Unless :

I also went for 90 days report yesterday and got the tear off receipt notification that my next 90 day is due Nov 17 th.

But after looking at my entry stamp ( retirement extension ) admitted until September 25th he crossed out the Nov 17th date and wrote September 25 on the 90 days receipt.

No, it’s not my first extension !

7 hours ago, Mattd said:

The 17th November is when your next 90 day report is due, the extension of stay application doesn't count as a 90 day report unless it is the first extension, has been like this for years.

The 17th is not when the next 90 day is due. 
The next 90 day would be due (if I didn't have to renew my visa) on the 25th.

10 minutes ago, Martyp said:

Correct. My 90 day report was due on the 28th of August  so 90 days from then is the 25th. Not the 17th. 

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Unless :

I also went for 90 days report yesterday and got the tear off receipt notification that my next 90 day is due Nov 17 th.

But after looking at my entry stamp ( retirement extension ) admitted until September 25th he crossed out the Nov 17th date and wrote September 25 on the 90 days receipt.

No, it’s not my first extension !

Hmmmm. Last year I visited the US in September and got my extension of stay in November. I didn’t look at the details at that time. I can see why the receipt would only be dated to the expiration of your extension of stay. It is the same for my multiple entry permit. Does that mean your next 90 day report is 90 days from approval of your extension? I guess I will find out after my September visit to the US anD my extension application in October. 

Edited by Martyp

9 minutes ago, Martyp said:

When you travel to someplace else and return to the condo that you own you need to file a TM30 within 24 hours after you arrive home. This applies to renters such as myself too. It is something hotels have been doing for decades using the copy of your passport. The TM30 requirement used to only be enforced for hotels but has, this year, been expanded to include foreigners living in condos and houses. You need to learn the exact requirements from your immigration office because it varies somewhat from office to office. You will definitely need to have a TM30 filed in order for you to get a 1 year extension of stay. There is a fine for being late which varies from 800 - 2000 baht. 

Yes. The TM30 was issued and filed yesterday so the next 90 day would be due on the 25th November. Not the 17th.

Edited by kellio

Correct. My 90 day report was due on the 28th of August  so 90 days from then is the 25th. Not the 17th. 

The 90 reset is from when you enter the country OR when you submit your 90 days report.

The 17th is your next date.

I did mine yesterday also and got a date of 17th November although it was due on the 27th .

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

The 90 reset is from when you enter the country OR when you submit your 90 days report.

I did mine yesterday also and got a date of 17th November although it was due on the 27th .

Sorry but no it's not.
I re-entered the kingdom of 29th of May so my 90 day was due on the 28th of August,

making the next 90 days due on the 25th of November.

Hmmmm. Last year I visited the US in September and got my extension of stay in November. I didn’t look at the details at that time. I can see why the receipt would only be dated to the expiration of your extension of stay. It is the same for my multiple entry permit. Does that mean your next 90 day report is 90 days from approval of your extension? I guess I will find out after my September visit to the US anD my extension application in October. 

I know there’s been threads on here about whether an extension resets your 90 day clock .
I don’t remember what was the outcome, but it appears in my case it is reset next month ( giving me a 35 day report !! ) and presumably I’ll get a 90 day notice at the same time.

It’s all a bit irrelevant really because I’ll probably have a trip oseas in October .

Sorry but no it's not.
I re-entered the kingdom of 29th of May so my 90 day was due on the 28th of August,
 making the next 90 days due on the 25th of November.

I used to think the same but I was corrected ( by UJ if I remember correctly ) that your 90 days is from the day you report not its due date.

What does it say on your receipt in your passport ?
  • Like 1

For a 90 day report I would go with whatever date is on the receipt. You can do your 90 day report 15 days early. Go early and you will have time to deal with any issues that come up. I did my 90 day report today, 14 days early.

When you get your 1 year extension ask about the 90 day report. No matter what leave with a receipt with your due date on it or your extension stamp will be used as the start time for your next 90 day report. Ask them.

Edited by Martyp

For a 90 day report I would go with whatever date is on the receipt. You can do your 90 day report 15 days early. Go early and you will have time to deal with any issues that come up. I did my 90 day report today, 14 days early.

And what date did you get ??

18th November ??

No, extending you permission to stay in Thailand doesn't reset the 90 day report cycle, you are required to report 90 days after you entered the country or 90 days after your last report.

Visiting Immigration to extend your stay isn't classed as a report.

Ayutthaya IO clearly think it is.

Here’s my receipt from yesterday, originally dated 17 th November ( 90 days from yesterday not my due date [emoji51]) clearly altered as the IO spotted my extension is due 25th September.

IMG_2532.JPG

Makes no difference to me I’ll be there anyway,but does seem odd .

Well here in Chiang-Rai, they are very explicit about this. New rules since last year.

It's a 2,000THB fine first time for violation ( 10x for each future violation, aka failure to file ), paid by wife, or property owner, for failure to notify ( local police or immigration office ).

The clock starts everytime you leave ( &return to ) the house, say you go to phuket for weekend, upon return, you file with local police within 24 hours that you have returned home ( even if you own the house, of course you don't own, your wife owns the house, so she's supposed to file, but if you don't get it filed, then immigration can deny your application annual, or 90 day 'hello' check-in, now everytime I go in to immigration for annual or 90day they ask me "Have you filed with the police since your last return" )

These laws have always been in place, but now they're enforced for everybody not just tourists, the thing is when you go to phuket and stay in a hotel, they know, so they know you didn't file on return.

What's going on is 'terrorism'. the thai gov on local level now has to tracks all its farang 24/7. Lots of local police all over Thailand, have now been assigned to tracking and monitoring their farang in each province.

The wife pays the fine, but the farang pays the price of not filing, by losing his visa.

Been here 15+ years, and they just started enforcing last year. They are very strict and serious, and they only give ONE WARNING.

Lastly, I really think they're gradually increasing the temp in the frog pot, every year I go in for the annual renewal they find something wrong ( no collar on shirt, photo wrong back ground color ), always something they never did before, but I always jump their hoop. IMHO they really want to get rid of the farang, and they don't so much care you have a Thai wife, once you jump their hoops, like last time I ran to BIG-C and bought a new shirt, and returned and got my renewal in 5 minutes then they were all similing. But it never ends, I really pity old guys that that to do this stuff, my wife can't go with me, as she works, so I always have to go in alone, and yes I speak thai fluently, but they don't care, and I never speak thai in the immigration office, because it just causes more problems. The funny thing is they even know who my wife is, if I had to guess it was some kind of marine corp mind f*udge game, the only problem I don't know the rules and they change like alice in wonderland, or wizard of oz, just when you got the witches broom. they send you out for something else.

Edited by bilbofarang
  • Sad 1

I have to laugh. Hopefully he was far more specific about why, when you needed to report but I'm doubting it. Prolly wasn't 100% certain himself - just giving you a heads up that YOU'LL need to sort it out sooner than later.

Incredible

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I understand what you're saying but 90 days from yesterday, is November 24, not 17.