lack of rain

seajae

so far this wet season we have had <deleted> all rain here in the south when normally we get heaps. Yesterday we had 32,000 litres of water delivered to partially fill our dam so we could water our trees, we have already lost some due to lack of rain. Hopefully this is an anomaly and will not become a regular thing,  a mate in Australia has told me they are getting similar weather  there, looks like global warming is starting to have effects in Thailand as well as other countries. I know there are other thai regions having the same problem, a friend of my wife has told her they have lost their rice crop and the ground is just bone dry, if this keeps up I can see Thailand struggling to grow many crops and farmers hitting the  wall

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our village the discussion is we must get decent rain falls within the next month or the rice crop will be abandoned for cattle to graze. Last year close to half the crop was lost. The effect is there will be no rice stored to eat next year and that is a huge problem.

The last few years they have had well below average rainfalls, ponds are empty and groundwater levels much lower. Until we get torrential rain during the wet, this situation will not be corrected. 

At the other extreme, parts of Isaan could become uninhabitable deserts. 

Climate - the average over thirty plus years. 

You cannot assume climate change over two or three years of empirical evidence. To do so isn’t very bright.

Global warming predictions are based on computer models that only differentiate between one & zero, and all have proven to be widely inaccurate.

It’s all fake news.

El Nino exacerbated by climate change is the culprit I think.. El Nino could revert near the start of the next rainy season.. with luck.. for both Thailand and Australia..  In Thailand it is a mixed bag this year.. some places.. in the north Chiang Rai..Nan.. Tak have had a lot of rain.. Here in Kalasin it is certainly below average but the irrigation canals are still flowing.. the central plains.. around Korat are very dry and desperate for rain.. some places in the south have had a lot...  The center of Australia is a dust bowl.. with no rain in sight.. coastal South Australia has had a bit.. parts of Victoria and NSW a lot... but very patchy.. 

???? when the rains stopped falling in the deserts around the world I wonder if they called it "global warming" or did they accept it was climate change as people hadn't figured out how to make money out of the event? 

1 minute ago, CGW said:

???? when the rains stopped falling in the deserts around the world I wonder if they called it "global warming" or did they accept it was climate change as people hadn't figured out how to make money out of the event? 

You mean it used to rain in desert and then it stopped?:shock1:

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

You can have some of our Chaing Mai rain.

It's been pouring down for the past two weeks.

Just one clear morning (yesterday) then it poured down all afternoon again.

so i guess chiang mai is receiving more rain due to global warming lol?

23 minutes ago, CGW said:

a lot of this has to do with the proposed carbon trading by wall street resulting in billions or trillions just need to get the suckers on board...

4 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

In our village the discussion is we must get decent rain falls within the next month or the rice crop will be abandoned for cattle to graze. Last year close to half the crop was lost. The effect is there will be no rice stored to eat next year and that is a huge problem.

The last few years they have had well below average rainfalls, ponds are empty and groundwater levels much lower. Until we get torrential rain during the wet, this situation will not be corrected. 

At the other extreme, parts of Isaan could become uninhabitable deserts. 

I have thought for a long time that Isaan will become desert, or something like steppe, because this is what happens when people cut rainforest to the ground. 

The rainforest creates its own rain in an area that would otherwise be dry. 

The Brazilians will know the same fate... 

22 minutes ago, losworld said:

a lot of this has to do with the proposed carbon trading by wall street resulting in billions or trillions just need to get the suckers on board...

The suckers are the ones on whose property industry is dumping their pollution and don't want to pay to clean it up. So industry conviced the succkers that the poluting carbon was good for the trees.

No o argument that carbon might be good for the woods , too bad people are not trees., though some are dumber than wood.

1 hour ago, Snackbar said:

Climate - the average over thirty plus years. 

You cannot assume climate change over two or three years of empirical evidence. To do so isn’t very bright.

Global warming predictions are based on computer models that only differentiate between one & zero, and all have proven to be widely inaccurate.

It’s all fake news.

To deny climate change is proof of limited awareness and capacity of observation. 

Binary computer coding has nothing to do with it. 

Your smartphone, as well as all AI, runs on binary language, which doesn't make them fake... otherwise we wouldn't be writing these posts on this forum, would we? 

Finally, it is true that climate models have proven to be inaccurate, because too... optimistic! 

The reality is much worse than the predictions, notably things are going much faster than predicted. 

This is not because scientists and their models are incompetent, but because they are under huge pressure to not sound alarmist. 

There are too many interests (read big money) at stake... 

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

El Nino exacerbated by climate change is the culprit I think.. El Nino could revert near the start of the next rainy season.. with luck.. for both Thailand and Australia..  In Thailand it is a mixed bag this year.. some places.. in the north Chiang Rai..Nan.. Tak have had a lot of rain.. Here in Kalasin it is certainly below average but the irrigation canals are still flowing.. the central plains.. around Korat are very dry and desperate for rain.. some places in the south have had a lot...  The center of Australia is a dust bowl.. with no rain in sight.. coastal South Australia has had a bit.. parts of Victoria and NSW a lot... but very patchy.. 

El Nino is over (see NOAA) but it is probably too late for this year... 

7 minutes ago, AaronC76 said:

I don't understand all this drought talk, the rivers are bursting in Nong Bua Lamphu. We've had consistent rainfall every month this year.

What percentage of Thailand doesNong Bua Lamphu cover? 

And how much of the nation's rice does it provide? 

Finally had some decent, consistent rain here this last 2 weeks that should save most of the mountain rice. We have a small plot of black rice that we can irrigate and it has grown well. The other non irrigated rice was lucky to get out of the ground but has come on since the rain but is still 18 inches shorter than our black rice.

Isan has always been hard scrabble. Drought, floods and irregular seasons. This year is very bad. Like others I wonder if long term trends mean dry land rice cropping will be finished in the near future. There seems to be <deleted> all money in it.

54 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The Brazilians will know the same fate

You reckon? what gloom and doom have you been reading, it would take thousands of years to clear the Amazon, in the meantime it would be growing back, its huge -well over 2,000,000 square miles, makes a great "alarmist" story though!

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Been loads of it in Udon for about 5 days now.

Where you are maybe, I am in Nadee and we have had very little rain, local reservoir nearly dry! very localised this year for some reason ???? 

Korat plain, we had quite a bit of rain early in the year, like flooding my soi up over the driveway sill; an event I usually associate with rain season proper. 

5 or so years ago, we were sat on the patio in sweats, socks, jackets and hats enjoying Jan/Feb cold weather pushing down.  Last few years has been abbreviated, warmer "winters" and warmer summers, then this recent off pattern rain, and then not much of it in "rain" season.  Tree in the garden at the country house, always dropped its leaves going into cool/dry season.  Not this past year.

Sometime last year, vaguely recall seeing an article about La Nina influencing a wetter year for Asia/SE Asia.  Seemed on track early on, but has petered out. Sure could use some rain. 

Archived