lack of rain

seajae

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW that is sad. Ours is still green and not so much weed. Hopefully the cloud cover stays overhead, else ours will look like that in a month. 

One of the best farmers near me laughingly told me not to worry about a failed crop. Just think of the money I'd save on fertiliser and harvesting! ????

5 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

The wife called the shot and hit the jackpot with her new pond or her's would be looking that that. All the water you see in the paddies is from her pond and she has about 5000 fish in the paddies and another 4000 in the pond.

image.png.789972927e9ad1b07a9e83714eed7c89.png

image.png.61b7860cce4779c96720d69b623a2f33.png

image.png.9e6ea78653082600e5c97ca9c1eec624.png

This pond looks like a lake... 

We have a pond and emptying it wouldn't be enough to irrigate onw rai of rice paddies...

Last night a close family member passed away. The day has been busy getting the funeral organised. So tonight we went next door to pay our respects before the monks arrived for the first nights ceremonies. After we had lit incense sticks and whispered to the deceased we went and sat with the family. My wife asked what I had said. "I asked her to bring us some decent rain!" 

The monks arrived, got set up and as they started chanting the wind whipped up and yes, it started raining soon after. It hasn't stopped yet. 

True story. For anyone who suggests it is pure coincidence, you haven't been here long enough yet!

12 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Last night a close family member passed away. The day has been busy getting the funeral organised. So tonight we went next door to pay our respects before the monks arrived for the first nights ceremonies. After we had lit incense sticks and whispered to the deceased we went and sat with the family. My wife asked what I had said. "I asked her to bring us some decent rain!" 

The monks arrived, got set up and as they started chanting the wind whipped up and yes, it started raining soon after. It hasn't stopped yet. 

True story. For anyone who suggests it is pure coincidence, you haven't been here long enough yet!

I told my wife, around 5.00 pm yesterday, that it would rain tonight, because I had cut the grass, and almost everytime I cut the grass, or wash the car, it rains soon after! 

And indeed it rained, but far from sufficiently... droplets all night long... 

It was not your prayers bringing the rain, but my cutting the grass... sorry... 

Just now, Brunolem said:

I told my wife, around 5.00 pm yesterday, that it would rain tonight, because I had cut the grass, and almost everytime I cut the grass, or wash the car, it rains soon after! 

And indeed it rained, but far from sufficiently... droplets all night long... 

It was not your prayers bringing the rain, but my cutting the grass... sorry... 

Don't waste time apologising. Go cut the grass again. Wash the car AND polish it! 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, IsaanAussie said:

In our village the discussion is we must get decent rain falls within the next month or the rice crop will be abandoned for cattle to graze. Last year close to half the crop was lost. The effect is there will be no rice stored to eat next year and that is a huge problem.

The last few years they have had well below average rainfalls, ponds are empty and groundwater levels much lower. Until we get torrential rain during the wet, this situation will not be corrected. 

At the other extreme, parts of Isaan could become uninhabitable deserts. 

I drove to Nakhon Phanom from southern Sisaket on Monday and back Tuesday. Saw more rain in two days passing through Amnat, Mukdahan and NP provinces in that 48 hr period than I have seen in 4 months in our part of Lower Isaan. Rain patterns have been even more localised than normal this year.

The tragedy for local farmers will likely last until next rainy season unless we get a 1 in 25 year September/October

8 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Don't waste time apologising. Go cut the grass again. Wash the car AND polish it! 

AND do the laundry and leave it out on the line.....or rack, seeing as most places don't have a clothesline.

This is my first full wet season so I cannot really compare, but most of the paddies around our place here in northern Ubon have some water in them.

Archived