BANGKOK
Neeranam

Rise in pension age to 75

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

It seems to moving up at a rate that ensures I'll never reach it.

It's a good job its value in THB is now so small that it only represents an extra pot of Mama Noodles per week.

If they implement it like the US does, they scale the change so it does not affect those closer to retirement as much as those who are far away, which allows people to plan for the change.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, timendres said:

If they implement it like the US does, they scale the change so it does not affect those closer to retirement as much as those who are far away, which allows people to plan for the change.

Yes the same happened in the UK. It's of little consolation though when you are actually working those extra years.

• Like 1

Even if the person looks ok and feels ok at 75 i can believe they can think as quick as it is necessary at some jobs. I don't want to be driven by a 75-years-old driver. Or be operated by old surgeon. And it not because i dont have respect to these people, it is just my instinct of self-preservation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Especially cruel to those who do physical, a group whose lifespan has not been extended very much in past decades, unlike us office workers. It just cuts their lifetime pension benefits drastically. Nevertheless, just what one would expect from the Tories.

They should bring in a euthanasia policy for unemployed old people - killing off the coal industry and stopping old people using heating obviously didn't reduce the load enough.

Obviously it'd work better if they just set the upper age limit - say cut off at 70, but you can retire when you're 62. Not many 70 years old are of use to the Tories unless they are already Tories with mountains of investments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, LiMax said:

Even if the person looks ok and feels ok at 75 i can believe they can think as quick as it is necessary at some jobs. I don't want to be driven by a 75-years-old driver. Or be operated by old surgeon. And it not because i dont have respect to these people, it is just my instinct of self-preservation. 

wait until you get there, if you are lucky enough to do so, you may well change your mind. Energy levels may decrease with older age, as does some physical endurance, but the mind is as able as ever it was. My eyesight is still 20/20 without glasses for distance or reading, my hearing is as good as it ever was, my heart is strong, I do not take any medication and I am 71. I would fly with me rather than a youngster of lesser experience and capability, same with driving.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I applied for my Swiss state pension early, when I was 63, meaning I lost 13.6% monthly. I could have waited until I was 70. thereby increasing the pension by up to 30.1%, bearing in mind that you would still be paying into your pension fund during this time.

Most Swiss go for an early state pension even though many do continue working as I did. 

• Like 1

It was a Tory think tank report.  Department of Work and Pensions appears to have distanced itself pointing out this is not government policy and that changes were made in 2017.  It is worrying when things like this come out.

I agree, what jobs are there for 75 year olds exactly!

8 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

must of been big mismanagement of the funds at the top, your tax dollars hard at work... 

no, the funds was hoped to generate returns like

when economy was growing at its fastest, forever.

but they didnt, and now the tax payer has to feed the baby boomers that live longer than they paid for

• Like 1

In the days when the pension age was 65 most people, especially men, didn't live longer than 70. Now life spans are 80+ it seems fair to increase the pension age to 75. After all you have 75 years to prepare for your retirement YOU should make provision for it.

• Sad 1