Saving Thai Airways

webfact

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Except for the direct flights, there's absolutely nothing that would make me choose Thai airways.

From my experience their service in Business on overseas flights is very good and on domestic flights their economy isn't worse, even slightly better than Airasia, and their fares are not that higher, if at all, if one chooses one's flights carefully. Admittedly, I haven't tried Lion Air, or Vietjet and can't comment on them. However, on domestic economy, I would always prefer Thai to Airasia, even if I have to pay few hundred Baht more.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand will not allow Thai airway to fold, it would be a massive loss of face.

Yes they could sell it into private hands but Thailand being Thailand with all its "connections" any private owner would struggle to cut off all the fat.

Their best choice is to bring in foreign management and try to rebuild it.

Qantas, not only was sold off, but also moved most of its maintenance overseas, leaving thousands out of job. Yes it may have now turned profitable but still not an airline of choice for many people.

4 hours ago, Oztruckie said:

Still a lot cheaper than Qantas from BKK to Melbourne,while Emirates was operating with Qantas on BKK to Melbourne route bus. class was around 84k but,After Emirates terminated their service Qantas jacked the price up to 120k but.

now this is economy not first class92692133_Screenshot_2019-08-19CheapflightsfromPerthtoBangkokatSkyscanner.png.8266a572f2db838106b294d4e2431c13.png1076025920_Screenshot_2019-08-21CheapflightsfromPerthtoBangkokatSkyscanner.png.87bb4118c47481b37e3f8ffc460ca13a.png

A few years back they had a Thai running the show and he was making progress turning them around I believe his last year there they turned a profit. The board dreamed up some less than stellar reports on the guy and fired him it has been all down hill since.

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

From my experience their service in Business on overseas flights is very good and on domestic flights their economy isn't worse, even slightly better than Airasia, and their fares are not that higher, if at all, if one chooses one's flights carefully. Admittedly, I haven't tried Lion Air, or Vietjet and can't comment on them. However, on domestic economy, I would always prefer Thai to Airasia, even if I have to pay few hundred Baht more.

The problem with airasia is the add ons they come up with, I prefer EVA but would fly Thai in a pinch

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Over 30 old ? ,, come on !!!!

I have a question though 

Assume 10 high level diplomats travel from the Foreign Ministry BKK- London in Business class.

Does Thai Airways invoice the particular Ministry & actually get paid or just has to absorb the cost ?

If not there is your first problem

That civil servants fly free or on heavily discounted fares is a myth. Many years ago (long before Air Asia etc.) Government employees, on government business only, got 50% discount on the published fare. Even then it only applied to domestic travel, not international.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Actually Air Asia had way better planes the last times i used them compared to Thai.

All new Airbus 320neo. very nice planes for short haul and mid.

Please do not group them with the Thai Airways junk, they are in fact way better -.-

Costwise, we flew to maldives... 4 hour flight.

Was 320 USD for AirAsia with return from DMK, same flight would have been 7XX USD with Thai from Swampy.

Totally not worth it to use Thai Airways and pay 400 bucks more for a 4 hour flight just to get an older plane ... 

THAI Airways don't fly to the Maldives and never have done so I don't know where you get that from.

Codeshare with Bangkok Airways?

12 minutes ago, thedemon said:

THAI Airways don't fly to the Maldives and never have done so I don't know where you get that from.

Codeshare with Bangkok Airways?

Thst might be, i use skyscanner usually but it doesn't show in the overview who operates the flights 

Screenshot_20190821_182131_net.skyscanner.android.main.jpg

It has been mentioned time and time again over recent years. They need an experienced management team to get them out of this issue.

A management team which will mostly likely be built on foreign expertise (look at all the examples of this in recent history at other airlines). Yet, as we all know, there is probably more chance of pigs flying than them allowing that. Just imagine the face loss.

Instead they most likely plod along with their management team, who are mostly from the 80s and 90s, and get bail out and bail out from the government. 

11 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Thst might be, i use skyscanner usually but it doesn't show in the overview who operates the flights 

Screenshot_20190821_182131_net.skyscanner.android.main.jpg

Yes, the flight offered under the TG label are operated by Bangkok Airways (PG). If the font on your smartphone would have been smaller, "Thai Airways durchgeführt von Bangkok Airways" would have been readable. ???? (I have the same problem on smartphone and computer.... Those old eyes ..... ???? )

BTW: Gruß aus Frankfurt

The problems of Thai Airlines mirror the problems of the country itself.

To use a few quotes from the story and posts.  

Stale, tired and overpriced.

Entrenched nepotism and cronyism.

Will I travel to Thailand again, sure. Time to try a new airline though. 

26 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

Yes, the flight offered under the TG label are operated by Bangkok Airways (PG). If the font on your smartphone would have been smaller, "Thai Airways durchgeführt von Bangkok Airways" would have been readable. ???? (I have the same problem on smartphone and computer.... Those old eyes ..... ???? )

BTW: Gruß aus Frankfurt

Thanks, still funny that they charge 3x of what bangkok airways charges directly - rippoff.

As I wrote on another topic:

I recently flew Thai Smile for the 1st time BKK-CNX and had the most delicious mashed potato and salmon cake en route. I got a rare 1/2 price return ticket from PKG in conjunction with Thai Airways on their new A350 which was such a good flight with this comfortable plane (good leg room) combined with excellent service. I had not flown THAI for many years  due to pricing but I am looking forward to my  return flight with Thai Smile and THAI!

The service was surprisingly very good on both sectors. I am 193 cms tall but had plenty of legroom in economy on all 4 flights.

991423949.jpg

815364253.jpg

188440911.jpg

This reminds me of the enthusiasts in the UK who preserve old locomotives, it costs a lot of money to keep them going, like a bottomless pit you can never throw enough money in but they think its worth the effort and good for them!

Thai Airways is the same in so much as you can never throw enough money at it and nothing will change, it might be better called incompetents  R  us.

The best thing they could do  is to sell it to Singapore Airlines and let Singapore take it over and run it as a part of their operation, their management and staff. The current Thai staff can apply for jobs I am sure some of them are good but just not enough of them.

It cannot carry on in its present form, its the Governments duty to deal with this and not just asking the public to stump funds to keep an airline going that is clearly not being run in a business like way, Thais deserve better, there are better ways to spend the loses on, now don't mention submarines anyone!

Quatar ,   Quality in service food , comfort . 

I prefer , the one stop rather than direct flights ,  healthier can take a walk around .

Less jet lag , on arrival..

Why save Thai Airways? So the special few can still rip the company off and take tax payer money from it for their own indulgence. Thai Airways has been abused for so long and the leeches have sucked the Thai tax payer out of so much with the collusion of the authorities. It is high time Thai Airways was turn into a real company that did it's job instead of being something for a certain section of society to leech from.

Well, my partner and I had very nice flights in Economy to and from Europe on THAI in April.  Non-stop to Rome going and then non-stop back from Paris.  Both flights we had an empty seat next to us so that was great to have a little extra room.  Food and service were good and so were the movie and tv choices to pass the time.  The trip back was especially nice on the double-decker A380.  Love flying on that plane and it's a pity it hasn't been more popular.  I guess the A380 will be on the chopping block to economize.

40 minutes ago, newnative said:

Well, my partner and I had very nice flights in Economy to and from Europe on THAI in April.  Non-stop to Rome going and then non-stop back from Paris.  Both flights we had an empty seat next to us so that was great to have a little extra room.  Food and service were good and so were the movie and tv choices to pass the time.  The trip back was especially nice on the double-decker A380.  Love flying on that plane and it's a pity it hasn't been more popular.  I guess the A380 will be on the chopping block to economize.

This may well be the truth. Nevertheless it is not acceptable in a Thaivisa thread concerning THAI Airways.

This is one of those Thai topics we talk about over and over.

Where to begin?

Well to those that say "sell it", the problem is, it's unsellable with debt at ฿245B, and unbelievably a request for further ฿156B to buy yet more aircraft, which as Thai PBS reported, would make it the worlds most indebted airline.

Then you come to the aircraft. The A380 is a classic case of incompetence. I forget which incoming CEO looked at it and decided it wasn't a fit, tried to cancel the order only to discover the 'crack' negotiating team had signed up to such onerous cancellation terms, they were basically stuck with them. 

Of course they bought the aircraft, as opposed to airlines like SG who lease, and have now started returning the A380's to the leasing company. This in turn makes TG's problems worse, since as leasing companies get them returned, and as yet no secondary market has emerged for them, the book value for TG will far exceed the market value.

Same thing with the A340-500, which still languish at DMK. Several years ago they got an offer from some middle east charter company, but since it was less than their book value they turned it down.

So there they sit, depreciating year after year.

It's an on going feature of an airline thats run as a hobby.

Oooh SG, fly direct to the US....we gotta do that.

Oooh SG have a A380....we gotta have some of those

So, you can mess around on the margins of operations, but until the structural capital and debt issues are resolved, ie, written off, it's a zombie company, impossible to sell, and destined to continue just how it is

Archived