Saving Thai Airways

webfact

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I took them once, when they still had flights to LA. Swore i would never fly them again. Food was crappy, served cold, and "air hostesses" were old, all well over 30, totally unattractive, and downright unfriendly, and even rude. 

You sure that was Thai. It sounds to me much more like Lufthansa or well, I could name pretty much any of those old middle European airlines.

2 hours ago, jethro69 said:

You sure that was Thai. It sounds to me much more like Lufthansa or well, I could name pretty much any of those old middle European airlines.

I take it you have never flown Air India?

Sell it. Pay off national debt. Rack up less public debt every year after the sale. Win win win all around. Except that pesky 'loss of face' will prevent any such thing. As if anyone outside Thailand would really care if Thai Air had new private owners and killed the brand for something new and better.

19 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I took them once, when they still had flights to LA. Swore i would never fly them again. Food was crappy, served cold, and "air hostesses" were old, all well over 30, totally unattractive, and downright unfriendly, and even rude. 

I chose Qantas for years because they had experienced and highly competent staff, most of whom seemed to be well over 30. In an emergency, I don't want to have to rely on a bimbo.

32 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Sell it. Pay off national debt. Rack up less public debt every year after the sale. Win win win all around. Except that pesky 'loss of face' will prevent any such thing. As if anyone outside Thailand would really care if Thai Air had new private owners and killed the brand for something new and better.

Loss of 'Privileges'will be more on their minds, as it would mean thousands of Thai Hi-So's would actually have to pay for tickets and overweight luggage !

53 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Lots people get free flights and free class upgrades like the politicians and their friends and friends' relatives won't be getting anything, if the government doesn't subsidize Thai airways. 

If Thai airways stopped giving freebies, they would be a profitable airline.

19 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

For experienced flyers (like expats), this sort of thing matters. However, the average tourist travelers would not have a clue. Nor would they choose airlines based on such refined details. 

So, I think you are correct but not for the majority of flyers. For most, economy is economy. 

Yes, perhaps you are correct about the majority of flyers. Shouldn't we expect a journalist to research and know more about the subject matter than "the majority" of the articles they publish however? 

2 hours ago, tifino said:

well ummm Thai gets a more favorable berth gate at swampy, than Qantas gets.. suits the lazy breed of passengers; not wanting to walk so far 

Gotta disagree with your post, obviously you've never flown with Thai from Perth to swampy,many a time Thai would park out near the black stump then bus everyone to the terminal,maybe was the case on daylight flights rather than the evening flight.

21 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

For poor quality food although out of the control of the crew but being served cold no excuse , did you complain , eat it or leave it ?  If I was talked to in a rude way I would have questioned why and possibly ask to speak to the purser . 

A Dislike of an attendants age and looks are discrimination which is unlawful in many countries . The most important aspect to me is the quality of service , politeness and attire . Being served by a sexy young hostess is not a deciding factor for me when choosing a flight but if it happens then that is a bonus .

I had not flown Thai Sydney to Bangers for a couple years, the only reason I chose Thai was it was fractionally cheaper than QANTAS.

I booked the fare went to Seat Guru to find a good seat and was amazed to find Thai was actually flying a 747 to Bangers, a bit shocked on that. The flight was chockers, on other Thai flights years gone past when booking they were sometimes fractionally cheaper and flights also pretty full. So they can’t be losing money on flights out of Sydney. Always seemed good value, two full size meals compared to the one on QANTAS, whoops I forgot QANTAS give you a banana as a second meal, I did tell the hostie I was not a monkey. Sounds their problems are in Swampy and other routes and management, however I can’t see regular flyers sticking on 747’s out of Sydney. Next time QANTAS and hope for an apple.

22 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I agree with you partially, especially when it comes to food, beverages and the flight attendants attitude towards non-thai customers.

But flight attendants are primarily there for the safety of the passengers, after that there comes the service.
And in the case of emergency I prefer "old" flight attendants over young and attractive ones, since those "oldies" have been thru countless safety drills.
About 15 years ago I took an Air Asia flight into Malaysia. At the destination airport there was a severe monsoon thunderstorm raging......
It took 3 attempts by the cockpit crew to bring down the plane safely. And what did I notice while onboard: Two flight attendants (young and very attractive!) kneeling down and praying to some god or ghost instead of having an eye on the passengers!
I always had some sort of a bad feeling when flying with EY or EK due to the many nationalities of the cabin crew. Will they still be able to communicate in english when under the immense stress of an emergency situation? Don't think so....

8 hours ago, Katipo said:

Yes, perhaps you are correct about the majority of flyers. Shouldn't we expect a journalist to research and know more about the subject matter than "the majority" of the articles they publish however? 

Hello. Yes, agree with you. 

I'm actually torn. 

I try my best to support my fellow farang, but I really wish the Thaiger articles were more professionally written. 

They are often instantly recognizable for the fairly juvenile writing style.

Maybe the target audience is random farang already drunk on Chang. ????

On 8/21/2019 at 2:07 AM, Just1Voice said:

Sounds like what you will get from any US carrier except the age will be over 45 or 50 on long international flights 

Thai Air has a choice. Get rid of the top heavy and useless management. Get rid of some losing routes. Get rid of the high paid staff who demand too much wages. Get rid of lots of mid level management, like the assistant or deputy  positions, or relatives of the top management. If the airljne cannot modernize its operating side of the business, it deserves to go bankrupt. I have had some flights and enjoyed the service, as it was better than on Air Canada, good food as well.

Geezer

Archived