What are the documents needed to sell a car as a foreigner to a thai citizen ?

JohnnyBKK

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Your local DLT will issue 2 forms to you for that purpose and you need copy of passport, copy of proof address or work permit will do as well.  

I need proof of address from immigration to sell a car ?? What if I don't live here but still have a car to sell.

19 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your local DLT will issue 2 forms to you for that purpose and you need copy of passport, copy of proof address or work permit will do as well.  

And Visa page...They did with me. Not sure about the address thingy, unless that is to tally up with the address in the book..

2 minutes ago, JohnnyBKK said:

I don't stay at the address on the book anymore anyway.

We went to a tent near us, bought a small S/H ride, went back tent said sorry can't sell you it. I bought it off a farang and there is something wrong regarding his "stuff", I have got to get my money back...

Yep, selling a car here is as daft as lots of other stuff to make things difficult for no reason....Your best bet is to get a Thai to ask at local LTO what a farang needs to sell a car...

The general requirements are:

- Signed copy of seller's passport (ID page + current permit to stay, if no longer in Thailand then the exit stamp)

- Completed vehicle transfer form

- Blue book

- Car

Your local DLT might come up with additional requirements (for example a certificate of residence from the seller), but when i transferred a bike a few months ago in Udon Thani this was sufficient

6 hours ago, transam said:

And Visa page...They did with me. Not sure about the address thingy, unless that is to tally up with the address in the book..

I just sign 2 forms from DLT, sign photocopy Passport & passport year extension page, signed copy yellow house book got dosh handed over blue book and job done. 

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You can get the form to do the "change of ownership) at the Friendship store (beside Tuk Com) if you don't want to go out to the DLT.

Some other book stores stock them too.

you can download the form here on ThaiVisa in the Motor section. At least for me it worked out, just sold two motorcycles to Thai people.I went with one of them to the DLT, since he was a bit unsure if all works out. You need to sign and fill a power of attorney, if you dont join the buyer to the DLT too. Copy of Passport and Visa signed in Blue Ink was necessary. They didnt accept black ink signature .

You can also sign a power of attorney which will allow the new owner to go to the DLT alone.  I'm pretty sure in that case all you need to give the new owner are the car's documents, the signed transfer form, a signed copy of your passport and of course, the POA. 

You won't need a work permit or address confirmation that way but you are of course, open to the new owner running up a few speeding tickets etc. whilst that car's still in your name.

I changed my motorbike into my name and changed the province and plates that way without a problem - the previous owner had left the country.

You don't need an Affirmation of Address... Or rather, in the pas 24 months I've sold a Car (to a Thai) and a Motorcycle (to another Westerner) - Proof of Address was not a requirement in either transaction. 

What was required. 

1) Change of Ownership Document

2) Power of Attorney form (if not accompanying the buyer to the DLT)

3) Passport Copies (ID and Visa Page)

4) Signed Blue Book (Car) / Green Book (Motorcycle)

Power-Of-Attorney-For-Bike.pdf Ownership-transfer-form.pdf

Archived