Visa Options

Hi, 

I'm currently in Thailand (been here for the best part of 3 years on tourist visas and visa exemptions).

Will start working for UK company that involves flying around SE Asia to meet clients in the banking world. 

Thailand is where I'm planning on staying when not flying around SE Asia.

Can anyone advise a suitable visa for my situation. 

I'm 37 from the UK.

Thanks,

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Tourist visas are about your only choice unless the company you work for could provide the supporting documents needed for a multiple entry non-b visa to be issued at the embassy in London.

When you say tourist visas I assume you mean the actual TRs, and not the 30 day visa exemptions from the airport?

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Tourist visas are about your only choice unless the company you work for could provide the supporting documents needed for a multiple entry non-b visa to be issued at the embassy in London.

Would it be possible to get a non b work visa, given I'm not actually working in Thailand?

31 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

When you say tourist visas I assume you mean the actual TRs, and not the 30 day visa exemptions from the airport?

Of course I meant a tourist visa  issued by a embassy or consulate. A visa exempt entry is not a visa.

You could probably get a multiple entry tourist visa in the UK.

13 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

Los you mean Laos?....work involves working with banks in HK, SG and KL

Los (land of smiles) Thailand. You need tourist visas. Elite Visa best. Guess it depends how long you intend to work SE Asia. Setv and METV etc will only give you limited time. Especially as you would be flying into bkk. Bit also depends how much time you spend outside los.

3 years on tourist visas and visa exemptions? Get ready to be denied entry soon. As your work doesn't involve Thailand, the best option has already been mentioned in post #2. You can get a 20-year elite visa for only 2 million Baht, and considering that it works out at 100k per year, and you don't have to keep leaving, reentering, getting new visas and getting denied entry, it's not so bad if you can afford it.

The hassle of leaving the country, getting new visas, re-entering not knowing if you're going to be denied entry, costs associated with getting your visa extensions (taxi fares, 1900 baht a pop etc) and the costs of spending time in neighboring countries (hotels, taxis, flights etc) plus all those days wasted make me think that actually it 's pretty good.

If anyone could lend me 2m it would be very much appreciated, free pizzas and Cornish pasties for life.

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 1

The OP should consider how many days or how many Thailand stopovers per year as a 'Tourist' between these regional work gigs. If those numbers make it look like you would be using a Tourist visa maybe 5 or 6 times a year, apart from avoiding both Bangkok airports, it should be OK. Land border crossings will attract less attention.

Maybe compare how the same amount of visits per-year to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Hong Kong would be tolerated by their immigration rules? Whatever is the easiest one to come and go, make that the home base. It would be quite stressful if one was winding up a job in (say) KL and wondering if Thai immigration were going to allow you back in. More of a case of 'when' than 'if' really.

Edited by NanLaew

30 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

Would it be possible to get a non b work visa, given I'm not actually working in Thailand?

You could get one for business purposes it the company can supply the supporting documents to apply for one.

See: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#2

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

The 20-year Elite is 1 million baht (not 2 million). There is also the 5 year option for 500,000 baht.

Apologies. There does appear to be 2 different packages though, one at 2m, which is what I was told the cost was by an Ubon IO. 1 Million baht for 20 years must be way cheaper than all the visa runs, extensions, wasted time and hassle!

Tourist visas (TR/VE) are certainly not the answer especially if you’re increasing your entries.

If you’re not formally working in a Thailand a Privilege Entry visa from Thailand Elite would be the obvious option; starting at 500K for 5 years unlimited entries.

19 hours ago, Johnson81 said:

Since a visa exempt entry is neither a tourist visa nor a visa of any kind, why would he mean that?

20 hours ago, SteveK said:

3 years on tourist visas and visa exemptions? Get ready to be denied entry soon. As your work doesn't involve Thailand, the best option has already been mentioned in post #2. You can get a 20-year elite visa for only 2 million Baht, and considering that it works out at 100k per year, and you don't have to keep leaving, reentering, getting new visas and getting denied entry, it's not so bad if you can afford it.

The hassle of leaving the country, getting new visas, re-entering not knowing if you're going to be denied entry, costs associated with getting your visa extensions (taxi fares, 1900 baht a pop etc) and the costs of spending time in neighboring countries (hotels, taxis, flights etc) plus all those days wasted make me think that actually it 's pretty good.

If anyone could lend me 2m it would be very much appreciated, free pizzas and Cornish pasties for life.

100k a year not bad?

are you serious?

blimey, i wish i had that kind of money to waste

would be absolute madness spending 2m on a visa for thailand.

We all know how rules change so often

• Thanks 1