Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Bang Saen set for major make-over to become a town for the elderly

Recommended Posts

Bang Saen set for major make-over to become a town for the elderly

 

Bangsaen2.jpg

(Photo) Saensuk Municipal Authority/https://saensukcity.go.th/news/gallery.html?start=10

 

Thailand’s Bang Saen seaside town, on the eastern coast near Bangkok, will undergo a major make-over to accommodate an aging society in the future.

 

Mr. Narongchai Khunpluem, the mayor of Saensook or Bang Saen municipality, which is well known for its roast sweet Khao Lam glutinous rice in bamboo stalks, said that the traditional beach town has the potential to be developed into a community for elderly people, adding that the municipality has sought cooperation from Japan’s Okura Company, which has expertise and experience in the development of communities for the elderly.

  

On infrastructure development, he said that the municipality has also worked with Siam Cement Group to develop a major landscaping plan for Bang Saen, which will include reclamation of the Wonnapa beach by extending it by about 30 metres into the sea along its 700-metre length. This will cost an estimated 600 million baht.

 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bang-saen-set-for-major-make-over-to-become-a-town-for-the-elderly/

 

 

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-08-21

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they try to mimic Pattaya, but closer to Bangkok?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

So they try to mimic Pattaya, but closer to Bangkok?

Have you been to Mix, Goa, Insomnia,  808 club etc? Just 4 of dozens of clubs attended by young people. There are dozens more. Pattaya has a mixed demographic.  But with regards to this article: are they taking about foreigners or Thais?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sounds wonderful, and it is what Thailand needs , if it not just a business to abuse and shake down the elderly...

Edited by mok199
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Bang Saen was full of university students, not least the delectable student doctors and nurses. The hospital will have to expand its geriatric facilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

As an octogenarian, I can't imagine anything worse being marooned in a seaside ghetto for golden oldies, surrounded by doddery old farts just like me.

 

Here, In the bosom of my Thai extended family, I gave an incentive to stay young at heart and tuned in to what's new - "woke" as my children and grandchildren call it - in a constantly changing world.

 

The worst thing the "progressive" West ever did IMHO was to pursue housing and other public policies which forced the generations apart - in every sense - and led to endless social problems.

 

I thank my lucky stars I had the good sense to  retire to my wife's homeland, where the family remains at the heart of society and elderly relatives can expect to be treated with affection and respect. 

 

Thanks, guys and girls.

Agree with you. It is one of the superior traits of eastern societies that families (or one family member at least) take care of their elderly & don't throw them into an old-people's home.

 

What they're proposing is a Thai Eastbourne - wheelchair races on the promenade comes to mind.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, champers said:

I thought Bang Saen was full of university students, not least the delectable student doctors and nurses. The hospital will have to expand its geriatric facilities.

I was reading a news article the other day about a retirement village somewhere in Europe I think that offered free accommodation for some university students provided they socialised with the residents. Sounds an ideal arrangement 😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's full of young people/students.  Old people will struggle to make themselves heard over the roar of souped-up, exhaustless motor bikes + no police.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Marriam-Webster is for old farts like me (and you?). The woke generation prefer Urban Dictionary or Hippo. Get with it, man!

I was merely pointing out that the Urban Dictionary is outdated when it comes to the definition of "woke" - Mirriam-Webster is, for this entry, far more "woke"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

As an octogenarian, I can't imagine anything worse being marooned in a seaside ghetto for golden oldies, surrounded by doddery old farts just like me.

 

Here, In the bosom of my Thai extended family, I gave an incentive to stay young at heart and tuned in to what's new - "woke" as my children and grandchildren call it - in a constantly changing world.

 

The worst thing the "progressive" West ever did IMHO was to pursue housing and other public policies which forced the generations apart - in every sense - and led to endless social problems.

 

I thank my lucky stars I had the good sense to  retire to my wife's homeland, where the family remains at the heart of society and elderly relatives can expect to be treated with affection and respect. 

 

Thanks, guys and girls.

And what homeland is that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...