Places that use high(er) quality oils in their dishes?

Hal65

I know most places use cheap palm oil. Do you guys know any places that use better oils like olive, tea or avocado? I hear canola is also decent. Open to any kind of food, though italian is probably my favorite

If Italian, they should use Olive oil,but without having access to

the kitchens you will have no idea what they use,most Thai places

will use Palm oil,I myself use Rice bran oil,which is supposed to be

good.

regards worgeordie

59 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If Italian, they should use Olive oil,but without having access to

the kitchens you will have no idea what they use,most Thai places

will use Palm oil,I myself use Rice bran oil,which is supposed to be

good.

regards worgeordie

I also use rice bran oil as it has a very high smoking point

There is a big difference between 'Olive oil' and 'Extra virgin olive oil'.

You can likely forget about any establishment in Pattaya using Extra Virgin olive oil, nor Avocado oil in their cooking.

You just don't pay enough for it.

You might be lucky to find one that uses Extra Virgin olive oil. Maybe some cheap Spanish brand.

You can forget about Avocado oil. Just too expensive in Thailand.

I use cold pressed Rapeseed oil as my base cooking oil. 500 ml in Thailand costs something like 600 baht. 

I use Extra virgin Kalamata olive oil for my Greek cooking. Bitter and spicy.

I have a variety of specific olive and regional varieties of Italian and Spanish extra virgin olive oils.

Forget about similar quality in any restaurant in Thailand. it is just too expensive to buy in Thailand.

If you are lucky you'll get an oil that has been refined to a point wherein you would have no idea that olives were involved. So they add a bit of first or second press olive oil to make it taste a bit of olive oil. Sad.

I import mine for my own use. Cannot abide poor quality foodstuffs.

You shouldn't cook with extra virgin olive oil as it splits at high temps so becomes unhealthy plus looses it flavours which was the whole point of using it the first place but great for dressing which I assume you know JJ from the knowledgeable slight of your post.

Ghee has an extremely high smoking point.

this is what put me off street food. I bought some deep fried chicken outside mikes one day and it took over 2 days to get the oil off my hands and out of my mouth, and its probably still lining my arteries. I dont really know what it can have been but soap and detergent had no effect on it. I find a good test of oil is to keep some food and try it later when its cold. if the oil is bad you can usually taste it pretty clearly then

1 hour ago, SidJames said:

You shouldn't cook with extra virgin olive oil as it splits at high temps so becomes unhealthy plus looses it flavours which was the whole point of using it the first place but great for dressing which I assume you know JJ from the knowledgeable slight of your post.

Ghee has an extremely high smoking point.

I have to tell you that you are simply repeating another fallacy for when it comes to Extra virgin olive oil.

https://drjoanna.com.au/blog/can-you-cook-with-extra-virgin-olive-oil-blog-793/

Archived