Jump to content
BANGKOK
BobBKK

Bank Transfer letter for buying condo - problems

Recommended Posts

I was in Bangkok Bank today top get a transfer letter. I had 2m come from outside and assumed I could use this sum.

 

I also thought the need for writing 'for purchase of condo'  on the FX transfer docs was a myth. I am now told I may not be able to use this 2m although it is obviously from 'outside'.

 

Also I had thought to use my monthly pension to 'top up' the 2m if I needed, say, 2.6m. (made up of 2m plus 12 months of 50,000). 

 

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the Foreign Exchange Documents you use to prove the funds came from overseas MUST have the correct reason on them and that has been the way for many years.

 

The land office will not accept anything else.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SWIFT (or MT103) transfers do allow for amendments to the beneficiary information. So perhaps you could ask the remitting bank to send that as a correction. They will likely charge a fee for that so they shouldn't mind doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also pretty sure that the remitted amount can be more than the condo purchase price but not less. Bearing in mind that the T/T amount only needs to satisfy the sale price declared to the land department which is very often less than the actual sale price.

Edited by thedemon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

All the Foreign Exchange Documents you use to prove the funds came from overseas MUST have the correct reason on them and that has been the way for many years.

 

The land office will not accept anything else.

There is no law to say that. The law states from overseas. Even the Bangkok bank told me they let many 'slip through' and the letter only states the amount and where it came from. So it's not 100% so we will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, thedemon said:

SWIFT (or MT103) transfers do allow for amendments to the beneficiary information. So perhaps you could ask the remitting bank to send that as a correction. They will likely charge a fee for that so they shouldn't mind doing it.

Thanks but can't do that. The 2m was lump sum pension payment from government source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the bank tell you this or the land office? You can check with the land office in your area and see what their requirements are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YT3k72Em said:

Did the bank tell you this or the land office? You can check with the land office in your area and see what their requirements are.

Bangkok Bank FX guy.  But he seemed to indicate that the 'Chinese' never put 'buy condo' on their forms as it's a big issue in China and definitely not allowed - yet they buy and buy.

It seems the 'for purchase of condo' is a bit of a myth but liked by banks as it avoids any issues. I have yet to see anyone give a ref to where this requirement is stipulated.

 

I will find out soon and report back. Seems madness, if money has clearly come in from overseas, to stop someone buying a legal (farang quota) condo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Bangkok Bank FX guy.  But he seemed to indicate that the 'Chinese' never put 'buy condo' on their forms as it's a big issue in China and definitely not allowed - yet they buy and buy.

It seems the 'for purchase of condo' is a bit of a myth but liked by banks as it avoids any issues. I have yet to see anyone give a ref to where this requirement is stipulated.

 

I will find out soon and report back. Seems madness, if money has clearly come in from overseas, to stop someone buying a legal (farang quota) condo.

I think you will find the "buy condo" is a bank of thailand requirement, not a land office requirement.

All international transfer need a reason , for the central banks at either end, as a money laundering measure. Even if you leave it blank the exchange desk probably puts a generic entry (consumer goods, holiday etc) to keep the BOT happy. I know I cant send from Australia without putting a reason.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

sounds like every transfer should be "for purchase of condo" just in case. TiT

Like I did , even the transfers for living expenses I made as "for buying condo" (or buying real estate in Thailand) reason ….is always handy ….

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

All the Foreign Exchange Documents you use to prove the funds came from overseas MUST have the correct reason on them and that has been the way for many years.

 

The land office will not accept anything else.

Its not a land office requirement, I have bought at 2 different offices and it was never a requirement. Foreign exchange needs a reason attached to keep Bank of Thailand happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I am now told I may not be able to use this 2m although it is obviously from 'outside'.

Who is saying "may not be able", the bank, the land office or is it the bank on behalf of the land office?

 

My 1st condo I bought 3 years later using my 800k visa money, the original FET said "for Visa". You can bring in a suitcase full of money and use the customs declaration at the land office.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think you will find the "buy condo" is a bank of thailand requirement, not a land office requirement.

All international transfer need a reason , for the central banks at either end, as a money laundering measure. Even if you leave it blank the exchange desk probably puts a generic entry (consumer goods, holiday etc) to keep the BOT happy. I know I cant send from Australia without putting a reason.

The 2m is in my account. As I said it was sent as part of my pension (lump sum) no reason would have been given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Who is saying "may not be able", the bank, the land office or is it the bank on behalf of the land office?

 

My 1st condo I bought 3 years later using my 800k visa money, the original FET said "for Visa". You can bring in a suitcase full of money and use the customs declaration at the land office.

 

 

The bank are saying "may not be able to issue the letter"  which is a strict requirement. Years ago it was lax and banks often turned a blind eye but since Prayut everything's changed.

 

BTW The bank also said you cannot use old transfers more than a year old. I have tons of transfers "for purchase of condo" from 2009 to 2012 but Im told I cannot use those.

Edited by BobBKK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...