BANGKOK
snoop1130

Sticky rice smuggler arrested, seeds seized

Sticky rice smuggler arrested, seeds seized

By Thanapat Kijjakosol
THE NATION

800_94ec1207df10057.jpg

A total of 30 tonnes of glutinous rice seeds smuggled into Thailand from Cambodia has been seized in the eastern province of Sa Kaew.

The local customs office acted on a directive from the military to monitor smuggling of crops from three neighbouring countries, which has become prevalent as a result of ongoing drought in Thailand coupled with oversupply in those countries.

The driver of the truck carrying the cargo was identified as Wichai Kon-ngern. He is now in custody and will be prosecuted. 

The prices of sticky rice seeds and other crops grown in Thailand are increasing because of the wide-reaching drought while those of crops in Cambodia, Laos, and Myanmar are much lower, regardless of the state of supply and demand in the three countries.

Many areas are facing drought in spite of the ongoing wet season.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375135

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-21
  • Confused 1

A 30 ton truck of rice is going to take a bit of smuggling in,OK that did

not work ,time for plan B,  grease a few palms.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

Rice seeds eh? I had a bowl of that for lunch, we just called it rice though.

• Like 2

Food smuggler. The worst of them all. He’s easily getting 10 years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if Thailand would have this much drama with potatoes ?

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

There is something  wrong  with the  picture ! Unless I am  mistaken and have missed some crucial  factor.

There is a shortfall in the  availability of glutinous rice. Therefore the  price  has risen dramatically.  A market driven eventuality. But !

Justification  is  being put on the reduction in the current years  production. Yet this  years  harvest has not happened  yet! Was glutinous  rice production  in deficit  last year?

So am I wrong to suspect  that perhaps  a  cartel has  foreseen an actual upcoming shortfall and has "cornered the market" on existing stocks?

Such  manipulations have repeatedly occurred  with  many agricultural products around the  world.

Such as  with  coffee  beans. With  major  financial  backing  offer a  little  above  average market price  to  buy on several  years  ahead production, warehouse it and  not  on sell until the  false  creation of a shortage  drives  prices  way  up. Thus  driving  up  ongoing  distribution  prices at a huge  profit against the investment period and establishing a  new higher average price  into the future  while  paying the primary producer a relative  pittance in increased value  while  binding  them to a  contract.

With  legislative  backing  by  those  implicit  in the  manipulation that  provide a protectionist  "closed  shop " environment  that  barrs   import  from a cheaper priced source would be  easily applied  to  such an item as  glutinous  rice .

I concede that I am probably   mistaken.

But I  hope those  fortunate  enough  to  have  has success in growing  it this  year will  name their own  price   or  feed it  to chickens if declined !

I agree there is something smelling like Isaan "old fish" sauce here and I don't think you are wrong and you explained it much better than my feeble attempt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

rice seeds smuggled into Thailand

<deleted> ! Now I can finally sleep.

Thanks for keeping us safe officers