Majority of Britons say any Brexit deal should be put to referendum - poll

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

But the government promised last referendum would be binding! Let's get that one out of the way first, eh?

Cameron promised that and then quickly exited stage left. We are about to get it out of the way, be patient.

Soon (very soon) we will have a new government, new PM and a confirmatory vote, which will kick the old referendum into touch. New confirmatory vote trumps 3 year old referendum.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

And it's not all about you. there's a minority of 16.1 million voters to be taken into consideration, whish I am confident will be a substantia majority after the confirmatory vote.

It may be not all about me, but it is more about me than about you, numbers count in a referendum, but not to remainers obviously.

You do do realise that you can't have 52% leave and 48% remain don't you?

Just now, vogie said:

It may be not all about me, but it is more about me than about you, numbers count in a referendum, but not to remainers obviously.

You do do realise that you can't have 52% leave and 48% remain don't you?

You do realise it will be 65% remain, 35% leave after the confirmatory vote don't you? Confirmatory vote trumps referendum. But you already knew all that which is why you're dead set against having one.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

You do realise it will be 65% remain, 35% leave after the confirmatory vote don't you? Confirmatory vote trumps referendum. But you already knew all that which is why you're dead set against having one.

I see you and Cleopatra2 are tag teaming me. You rely on Spideys cristal ball too much, it is not wise coming out with such profound statements when you don't have a clue. 

Have you got a link to your prediction of 65% to 35% or are you just trolling.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

I see you and Cleopatra2 are tag teaming me. You rely on Spideys cristal ball too much, it is not wise coming out with such profound statements when you don't have a clue. 

You mean like you and nauseous tag team me. Or Loiner and Laughing gravy? Anyway at least nauseous likes most of my posts, he's always giving me smiley faces....or is he just using them to troll people? 555

What is Spidey's crystal ball? I've googled it and found nothing. Do tell.

23 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I would love that result (I am a remainer) but based on what? My own family and friends in the UK seem even more hell bent of leaving now than before the referendum. It would delight me if they were a minority but I am not so sure, all the reasons for them voting to leave still exist (even if some of those reasons had more to do with successive UK governments intransigence rather than Europe) PLUS they are now royally <deleted> off with the whole shebang and would accept no deal just to get it all over and done with and off the TV.

32 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Cameron promised that and then quickly exited stage left. We are about to get it out of the way, be patient.

Soon (very soon) we will have a new government, new PM and a confirmatory vote, which will kick the old referendum into touch. New confirmatory vote trumps 3 year old referendum.

In your dreams, Danny boy.

12 hours ago, smedly said:

you do realise that only 12% of UK trade is with the EU

and I'm going to guess you are from Scotland - how much of Scotland trade is within the UK 

there are some stupid arguments from all sides but one thing is for sure - the UK has an opportunity to increase trade while the EU doesn't

if they want to play hardball then we are up for it, make your cars in the UK or we will impose high tariffs 

who wins - everybody wins if a sensible trade deal is sorted out after we leave 

I am in 100% support of a trade deal with our EU partners but that is not what this is about, it is about a dangerous power hungry kabal in Brussels that the UK people have rejected, we don't want any part of it

We? the only time the British government takes any notice of the plebs is when it's ballot box time after you have swallowed their lies, that's the only time you 'have your country'. So pay your council tax, accept fracking, embrace homelessness as normal, zero hour jobs are good for you as is universal credit, oh it's going to be a brave new world after brexit because the UK government has said that they won't demolish workers rights that the EU has put in place and we won't have to abide by all these pesky environment laws after all, London can remain the atmospheric cesspit that it always was.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

You mean like you and nauseous tag team me. Or Loiner and Laughing gravy? Anyway at least nauseous likes most of my posts, he's always giving me smiley faces....or is he just using them to troll people? 555

Spidey was another poster who like you comes out with outlandish statements, which are nothing more than guesses or even something plucked out of the head, so that is where Spideys cristal ball comes from, maybe his ball needed more new batteries. Why people make such profound statements like you saying 65% would vote remain etc etc, you don't know, it just serves no purpose other than to draw other posters into your finely spun web. 

Can you possibly post with facts instead of making this gobblygook nonsense up, it helps no-one, much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

We? the only time the British government takes any notice of the plebs is when it's ballot box time after you have swallowed their lies, that's the only time you 'have your country'. So pay your council tax, accept fracking, embrace homelessness as normal, zero hour jobs are good for you as is universal credit, oh it's going to be a brave new world after brexit because the UK government has said that they won't demolish workers rights that the EU has put in place and we won't have to abide by all these pesky environment laws after all, London can remain the atmospheric cesspit that it always was.

Jeremy Corbyn didn't have much faith in the EU workers rights.

2 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

No, no and no.
The British voted 3 years ago. The choice was confirmed by the parliament. They must now take their responsibilities and exit the EU on November 1 next.
And no deferment at the last moment this time, huh.

Only the insane or mentally deficient would want or accept a no deal Brexit. That was never part of the deal and is unacceptable.

33 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

No, no and no.
The British voted 3 years ago. The choice was confirmed by the parliament. They must now take their responsibilities and exit the EU on November 1 next.

Even if it's no longer the will of the people?

1 hour ago, vogie said:

The link is in the stars!

A question as an aside. If you had a parrot that incessantly repeated the words "confirmatory vote", how long would it be before you bought a large mean cat and left the cage door open?  

2 hours ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

And thank you for yet another remain poster basing their post on insults against those with a different opinion....

Wrong. Read the original which I was responding to

"Or are you not "intelligent" enough to work out that 52 is a higher number than 48?" 

I did not mention Brexiteers at all in this context, I said TV posters.

I was simply responding in kind.

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Have another beer on me - and I'll happily throw in a box of tissues if that'll cheer you up!

Thank you, I would do, but the doctor told me I had already had enough for two lifetimes! You may need the tissues yourself, if I do need them I think I can just afford them at the current exchange rate.

Don’t think I’ve every tag teamed you with anybody. Your new here aren’t you, or are you thinking about under another name?

Perhaps we should divide the UK into two halves, Leavers and Remainers and let industry and commerce choose which half they wish to reside in.

So the Remainers could all chose if the want to go and live in Scotland or London? Isn’t that where they already are?
Better just lose both bastions of Remainerism off to a far flung corner of federal Europe.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

And the winners don't want one because they know that they will be the losers.

Quite correct ... their fear of a second referendum, based on the known facts, is at the heart of most comments. 

24 minutes ago, Loiner said:

So the Remainers could all chose if the want to go and live in Scotland or London? Isn’t that where they already are?
Better just lose both bastions of Remainerism off to a far flung corner of federal Europe.

If the UK was to create two nations, split by remain and leave voting areas, the remain economic area would be the powerhouse ... and the leaver area would be an economic wasteland, full of numpties, wastrels and old age pensioners. 

The sad truth is that leaver areas are packed full of life's losers.

This is just the same old stuff over and over again, with the same arguments regurgitated.  The media just keep stirring the pot.

According to the Daily Mail (Ha!Ha!) his trip to Berlin was a triumph!  After his meeting today with Macron, I wonder what the headline will be tomorrow.  It's boring beyond belief!

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

AFAIK it's a ha ha emoji. I use it because nearly everything you say makes me laugh. Thankyou.

But flatter yourself matey ..... nobody else will.

53 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

This is just the same old stuff over and over again, with the same arguments regurgitated.  The media just keep stirring the pot.

According to the Daily Mail (Ha!Ha!) his trip to Berlin was a triumph!  After his meeting today with Macron, I wonder what the headline will be tomorrow.  It's boring beyond belief!

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

If the UK was to create two nations, split by remain and leave voting areas, the remain economic area would be the powerhouse ... and the leaver area would be an economic wasteland, full of numpties, wastrels and old age pensioners. 

The sad truth is that leaver areas are packed full of life's losers.

What a horrible thing to say.

5 hours ago, bannork said:
5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

No, no and no.

Only the insane or mentally deficient would want or accept a no deal Brexit. That was never part of the deal and is unacceptable.

Indeed; which is why many here in the UK want a, this time legally binding, referendum with three options to decide this vitally important matter using some sort of a transferable vote system;

1. leave with no deal,
  2. leave with the negotiated deal or
  3. cancel Brexit and remain.

Of course, Brexiteers are frightened of this because, as this poll shows, there is a good chance that remain would win.

So they bring up two arguments. 

The first that this poll has a small sample so the results are unreliable. True of all polls (remember Yes Prime Minister on the subject?) but ignored by Brexiteers when they were extolling polls which put Brexit ahead!

Secondly, the tired, old argument; "We to voted to leave in 2016 so leave we must. To do otherwise is undemocratic. We can always hold another referendum after we have left."

Yes, we voted to leave in 2016. But would holding another referendum be undemocratic? Only to those who hold the totalitarian view that the electorate are not allowed to change their minds!

As for holding another referendum after we have left; the stupidity of that is so obvious it astounds me that anyone could even consider it. It's akin to waiting until one's house has burned down before dialling 999!

But let's suppose the worst happens and we do crash out of the EU on 1st November with no deal. Then, after a few years of living with the results of this Boris loses the next election and whoever wins it holds a referendum on rejoining; the result of which is a resounding 'Yes.'

To assume that the EU would welcome us back with the same benefits we enjoy now shows a naivety which makes one concerned for the person's safety should they be allowed out on their own.

If we leave, especially if we leave without a deal and then want to rejoin, why would the EU allow us back on the same advantageous terms we enjoy now?

They, of course, wouldn't. For starters we would have lost the rebate and would almost certainly not get it back; the same with EU money currently invested and spent here; investment and spending which will stop after after Brexit; immediately after a no deal Brexit. Furthermore, like all new members, we would have to join Schengen and we would have to commit to joining the Euro.

Now that all the options, no deal, deal, remain, and the consequences of each are far more widely known than they were in 2016, we, the people, should, nay must, be given the right to make the final decision on our future, and given that right before we leave, before we lose the opportunity to change our minds; if change our minds is what we decide; might not be, of course.

I honestly cannot see why anyone would consider that undemocratic.

Archived