Majority of Britons say any Brexit deal should be put to referendum - poll

snoop1130

18 hours ago, smedly said:

you do realise that only 12% of UK trade is with the EU

AGAIN a brexiteer, who does not know anything about his own country's business….

And from 1 Nov onwards, EU import duties will kill a LOT of UK's export and with that companies = jobs.

imp-exp 2018 acc HoC lib briefing paper 7851 of 24 July 2019.jpg

average import duty into the EU, source HoC lib imp-exp statistics.jpg

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

What the poster was saying is that 12% of all UK trade is exports, ie, 88% is generated within the country.  Of that 12%, 48% is with the EU.  It's still a big deal but needs to be seen in context.

When posting, people tend to assume that all that trade with the EU will disappear.  In fact it is more likely to be only somewhat or marginally effected.  Since the referendum the pound has undergone a significant devaluation, such that the relatively small tariffs imposed by the EU would be more than offset.  However, the general disruption such as border checks would undoubtedly dent trade.

How much of that inter UK trade is possible with thanks to EU components, the UK cannot easily find alternatives ?

How many UK companies will NOT survice a loss of exports as now to the EU ? Especially many in the agriculture + food business + in the complex "make" industry ( cars, airplane components etc ) ?

18 hours ago, smedly said:

it is about a dangerous power hungry kabal in Brussels that the UK people have rejected, we don't want any part of it

Which you mean ?

The EU Councill, existing of the leaders of government of all EU member states, inclusive the British ?

Or the EU Commission, with a commissioner ( kind of minister) from each EU member state, inclusive the UK

OR.. the EU parliament, inclusive 73 members from the UK ?

The rest... only have to follow orders, mostly from the EU council.

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

How much of that inter UK trade is possible with thanks to EU components, the UK cannot easily find alternatives ?

How many UK companies will NOT survice a loss of exports as now to the EU ? Especially many in the agriculture + food business + in the complex "make" industry ( cars, airplane components etc ) ?

Unknowable. Equally we can't quantify the upside and there will be one, in the shape of opportunities for home grown, and domestic production.

I don't buy that components will suddenly become unobtainable. UK will be able to buy from EU, just as other countries do.  

Overall, there will be a downturn in the short term.

1 hour ago, Victornoir said:

What you say is right.

But I, non-British European, I do not want to stay in the wait pending the UK decision.

The British do not share the ideals of a united Europe: Freedoms, shared prosperity, peace, the pooling of great works, peaceful relations with other blocs, and so on.

Their only interest is financial and the change observed is only due to the fear of recession.

Unfortunately, I believe, like others here, that uncertainty is worse than change for both sides.

So in these conditions, it is best to leave without delay.

UK wants a free trade deal.

UK has said it is not going to impose tariffs.

UK still wants to work together on projects.

EU citizens already in UK have been assured they can stay.

Freedoms come with responsibilities, and are not absolute.

7 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:
8 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Only the losers want another referendum 

And the winners don't want one because they know that they will be the losers.

We've heard that before, that Leave will lose. That prediction was wrong in 2016, and it would be wrong if there was a 2nd referendum. 

Even if by some miracle Remain scraped a win, that wouldn't resolve the situation we find ourselves in now. We'd be crawling back to the EU, tail between our legs, influence severely diminished, with the EU knowing half the UK loathe all that it stands for. The Brexit movement in the UK would be stronger than ever, and the EU would have all those Brexit Party MEPs to contend with for years to come.

Rory Stewart had it right. We can't put the genie back in the bottle now. We just need to leave in the best way possible. 

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

UK wants a free trade deal.

UK has said it is not going to impose tariffs.

UK still wants to work together on projects.

EU citizens already in UK have been assured they can stay.

Freedoms come with responsibilities, and are not absolute.

It is for the reason the Uk say it will not impose tariffs and still seeking FTA that make me believe the UK will reach a deal with the EU.

If the UK does not impose tariffs then it renders a FTA irrelevant as it would put countries who conclude a FTA with the UK at a disadvantage to those who do not have a FTA.

Reason why Canada is holding off concluding the roll over agreement.

Imo Boris Johnson fallback is to revert back to the original plan of the backstop only including NI and excluding the rest of UK.

2 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

It is for the reason the Uk say it will not impose tariffs and still seeking FTA that make me believe the UK will reach a deal with the EU.

If the UK does not impose tariffs then it renders a FTA irrelevant as it would put countries who conclude a FTA with the UK at a disadvantage to those who do not have a FTA.

Reason why Canada is holding off concluding the roll over agreement.

Imo Boris Johnson fallback is to revert back to the original plan of the backstop only including NI and excluding the rest of UK.

I think he is going to throw the DUP under a bus and let Northern Ireland remain in the customs union.

In which case Scotland, which voted to remain, will be asking why not us too?

8 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I think he is going to throw the DUP under a bus and let Northern Ireland remain in the customs union.

In which case Scotland, which voted to remain, will be asking why not us too?

Scotland didn't vote to remain - they are still part of the United Kingdom.

The Scots may have voted in favour of remaining but they are not yet independent of the UK.

23 minutes ago, St George said:

Scotland didn't vote to remain - they are still part of the United Kingdom.

The Scots may have voted in favour of remaining but they are not yet independent of the UK.

So if the vote was UK wide as you infer then you would disagree with Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union?

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

So if the vote was UK wide as you infer then you would disagree with Northern Ireland remaining in the customs union?

I disagree with anything that would break up the Union.

Looks like the Scottish uprising has started...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1169116/Brexit-news-eu-peoples-vote-rally-edinburgh-boris-johnson-jess-Phillips-fringe-festival

1 hour ago, St George said:

I disagree with anything that would break up the Union.

Looks like the Scottish uprising has started...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1169116/Brexit-news-eu-peoples-vote-rally-edinburgh-boris-johnson-jess-Phillips-fringe-festival

So you support the backstop then ?

19 hours ago, Victornoir said:

<snip>

The British do not share the ideals of a united Europe: Freedoms, shared prosperity, peace, the pooling of great works, peaceful relations with other blocs, and so on.

Their only interest is financial and the change observed is only due to the fear of recession.

Based upon the comments of many expat Brexiteers here on TV, and even some Remainers, I can understand how you came to that conclusion.

But I can assure you that these people do not represent the views of the majority, both Brexiteers and Remainers, here in the UK.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, <deleted> dasterdly said:

And I'm sure you agree that the govt. spending a small fortune sending a pamphlet to all households advocating remain (whilst also stating that the referendum result would be respected) should not be included as part of the money spent by the remain camp?

You may think that; the Electoral Commission doesn't seem to agree.

But feel free to take the government to court over the matter.

It matters not that the government promised to respect the referendum result; it was not legally binding. Even so, it was Parliament which has stopped us from leaving, not the government.

To prevent this happening again any future referendum, which as you know I strongly believe is required for reasons I have explained many times, must be made legally binding.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:20 AM, <deleted> dasterdly said:

"OK some TV posters may be fairly challenged in the grey matter department, and some are not shy about displaying this."

And thank you for yet another remain poster basing their post on insults against those with a different opinion....

A look through any Brexit topic will show that the unnecessary insults from Brexiteers far outweigh those from Remainers.

Why not just get the Brexit done. It's going to happen, regardless what anybody powerless person thinks or says. 

UK will be just fine without any connections to the Europe. Europe likewise will be just fine without any connections to the UK. 

For the UK, EU is going to become a country like Turkey. For the EU, UK is going to become a country like Turkey. 

It's best to get accustomed to the idea that UK and EU are going to be fully separated.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

He is a British politician, I make no distinction between Labour or Tory

I think the distinction that could be made between Corbyn and the other politicians is his integrity and his scruples, he would have no problem in forming a coalition government with his old friends the Sinn Fein party now would he.

On 8/22/2019 at 3:23 PM, vogie said:

The people who were eligible to vote, voted by a large majority to leave the EU.

Only the naive would think it was a large majority.

Didn't Mr Brexit say a 2% majority would be unfinished business, and that is exactly where we are - unfinished business.

The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Didn't Mr Brexit say a 2% majority would be unfinished business, and that is exactly where we are - unfinished business.

The question of a second referendum was raised by Mr Farage in an interview with the Mirror in which he said: "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

And only the biased would say otherwise, it only had to be a majority of 1, so compared to 17.4 million, it was quite large.

And as for mentioning what farage said over 3 years ago, what Cameron said 3 years ago trumps what Farage said, he out ranked him.

15 hours ago, manitoba said:

For the UK, EU is going to become a country like Turkey. For the EU, UK is going to become a country like Turkey. 

If the UK to the EU was a country like Turkey, there would not be any Irish border problem, the simple solution.

12 minutes ago, vogie said:

And only the biased would say otherwise, it only had to be a majority of 1, so compared to 17.4 million, it was quite large.

And as for mentioning what farage said over 3 years ago, what Cameron said 3 years ago trumps what Farage said, he out ranked him.

Maths not your strong subject? A majority of 1 is a tiny majority. I don't think that Brexit had a 17.4 million majority as you state, a slight exaggeration there. A majority of 2% would be a small majority in mathematical terms, even if you counted with your fingers and toes you wouldn't consider a 2% majority "quite large".

Cameron trumps Farage? Not in the eyes of true Brexiteers, Cameron promised to implement the result of the referendum then promptly resigned before keeping his promise. Whereas Farage keeeps on going like a trouper, his words carry far more weight than Cameron's to a true Brexiteer. Showing your true colours Vogie? Are you a closet remainer. Wouldn't blame you if you were.

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Obviously in the brexiteer DNA, that cherry picking is always there.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Maths not your strong subject? A majority of 1 is a tiny majority. I don't think that Brexit had a 17.4 million majority as you state, a slight exaggeration there. A majority of 2% would be a small majority in mathematical terms, even if you counted with your fingers and toes you wouldn't consider a 2% majority "quite large".

Cameron trumps Farage? Not in the eyes of true Brexiteers, Cameron promised to implement the result of the referendum then promptly resigned before keeping his promise. Whereas Farage keeeps on going like a trouper, his words carry far more weight than Cameron's to a true Brexiteer. Showing your true colours Vogie? Are you a closet remainer. Wouldn't blame you if you were.

I'll give your post the contempt it deserves, total nonsense.

On 8/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, Yinn said:

They argue together more= the baht go up more for UK dollar.

Good for thai! Not good for English.

UK Dollar - not yet, but post Brexit when the UK becomes a total US vassal state...

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

UK Dollar - not yet, but post Brexit when the UK becomes a total US vassal state...

Well, at least we speak the same language and far less likely to implode like EU is destined to do in a few short years.

Archived