Majority of Britons say any Brexit deal should be put to referendum - poll

snoop1130

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Maths not your strong subject? A majority of 1 is a tiny majority. I don't think that Brexit had a 17.4 million majority as you state, a slight exaggeration there. A majority of 2% would be a small majority in mathematical terms, even if you counted with your fingers and toes you wouldn't consider a 2% majority "quite large".

Cameron trumps Farage? Not in the eyes of true Brexiteers, Cameron promised to implement the result of the referendum then promptly resigned before keeping his promise. Whereas Farage keeeps on going like a trouper, his words carry far more weight than Cameron's to a true Brexiteer. Showing your true colours Vogie? Are you a closet remainer. Wouldn't blame you if you were.

Winning margin was by 3.8% or 1,269,501 votes. As a remainer, I wonder how would you know if Farage's words carried more weight than Cameron's?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stocky said:

UK Dollar - not yet, but post Brexit when the UK becomes a total US vassal state...

It gets worse. Boris has announced, that in future trade talks, he won't be giving the NHS to Trump. However, no mention of bleached chicken and beef pumped full of hormones. Worst of all Genetically Modified foodstuffs, the one issue that the EU has stood firmly against in trade negotiations with succesive US governments.

It's no wonder that the EU want the border sorting out, do you really think that they would tolorate all that MAGA<deleted>e pouring over a borderless border and into the EU?

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Winning margin was by 3.8% or 1,269,501 votes. As a remainer, I wonder how would you know if Farage's words carried more weight than Cameron's?

Because you and your ilk have constantly reiterated that on this forum. You all villify Cameron and laudate Farage........except when it suits you. ????

3.8% is still considered a small margin in mathematical terms.

45 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Because you and your ilk have constantly reiterated that on this forum. You all villify Cameron and laudate Farage........except when it suits you. ????

Constantly reiterated? Codswallop! I invite you to show me just one example where I have, even once, indicated that Farage's words carried more weight than Cameron's. If these quotes have come in with such high constancy, then you should have no trouble in finding one. I cannot answer for others, as each has is own opinion - although I can't remember many examples of this - certainly not from all of my "ilkies". 

Of course it was a small margin. I have never argued that it was anything else. Or maybe you can find me an example of my saying that too? 

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Quite. At the end of the day a different result would have been obtained with 635 thousand out of 34 million voting the other way, hardly a mandate for constitutional change.

Criminals get a better deal than Joe Public.

28 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Constantly reiterated? Codswallop! I invite you to show me just one example where I have, even once, indicated that Farage's words carried more weight than Cameron's. If these quotes have come in with such high constancy, then you should have no trouble in finding one. I cannot answer for others, as each has is own opinion - although I can't remember many examples of this - certainly not from all of my "ilkies". 

Of course it was a small margin. I have never argued that it was anything else. Or maybe you can find me an example of my saying that too? 

"although I can't remember many examples of this "

Selective memory, posts 61 & 68 on this thread for starters.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

I expect no less from a Brexiteer, when bereft of ideas, just throw out some random insults.

What were these "random insults" pray tell, Man Utd supporters are getting very touchy these days.????

On 8/22/2019 at 12:12 PM, Estrada said:

The referendums are advisory, it is up to the Government to decide what is best for the economy of the Country. Secondly the law on referendums state that a majority of 55% of the electorate is necessary for the government to take any action. The majority was only 52% so the Government was wrong to start the process  to leave the EU. Both Switzerland and Holland had similar referendums without a 55% majority and did not leave as they follow the democratic procedure.

Can you please quote the actual law on referendums stating that a majority of 55% is necessary.

It is not that I believe you or not but far greater legal minds than yours, and many of them from both Leave and Remain have never quoted any such thing.

If there was such a law then Gina Millar would have ridden it to a triumphal victory back in 2016.

Every Remainer MP and campaigners would have jumped on that bandwagon years ago.

If of course you cannot quote it chapter and verse I feel that have been misled.

BTW what the law is in countries such as Switzerland and Holland does not follow in the rest of the world. 

On 8/22/2019 at 4:37 PM, DannyCarlton said:

You mean like you and nauseous tag team me. Or Loiner and Laughing gravy? Anyway at least nauseous likes most of my posts, he's always giving me smiley faces....or is he just using them to troll people? 555

What is Spidey's crystal ball? I've googled it and found nothing. Do tell.

One things for sure, as a newbie you are getting a lot of laughing "likes"...????

On 8/22/2019 at 4:11 PM, DannyCarlton said:

Cameron promised that and then quickly exited stage left. We are about to get it out of the way, be patient.

Soon (very soon) we will have a new government, new PM and a confirmatory vote, which will kick the old referendum into touch. New confirmatory vote trumps 3 year old referendum.

Can I borrow your crystal ball as I need the lottery numbers?

You must have one as you can see far into the future and make predictions.

24 minutes ago, transam said:

One things for sure, as a newbie you are getting a lot of laughing "likes"...????

Absolutely. Small minded Brexiteers tend to use them to troll people rather than for what they're intended for. Really childish.

Good for me as it indicates they can't construct a reasond argument aginst my post and post a smiley face as some kind of repost (which it isn't to an adult). I must be doing something right.

I'll add your post to my ever growing list.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

"although I can't remember many examples of this "

Selective memory, posts 61 & 68 on this thread for starters.

Posts 61 & 68 on this thread were not from me and did not infer that Farage's words carried more weight than Cameron's in any case. I wish I hadn't wasted my time looking but should have known better.

6 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the distinction that could be made between Corbyn and the other politicians is his integrity and his scruples, he would have no problem in forming a coalition government with his old friends the Sinn Fein party now would he.

Well he'd have one insurmountable problem!

I wonder if you know what that is?

54 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Absolutely. Small minded Brexiteers tend to use them to troll people rather than for what they're intended for. Really childish.

Good for me as it indicates they can't construct a reasond argument aginst my post and post a smiley face as some kind of repost (which it isn't to an adult). I must be doing something right.

I'll add your post to my ever growing list.

When your list grows enough, will you capsize?

15 hours ago, billd766 said:

Can you please quote the actual law on referendums stating that a majority of 55% is necessary.

It is not that I believe you or not but far greater legal minds than yours, and many of them from both Leave and Remain have never quoted any such thing.

If there was such a law then Gina Millar would have ridden it to a triumphal victory back in 2016.

Every Remainer MP and campaigners would have jumped on that bandwagon years ago.

If of course you cannot quote it chapter and verse I feel that have been misled.

BTW what the law is in countries such as Switzerland and Holland does not follow in the rest of the world. 

There has only ever been 3 national referendums in the UK and the way they have been held is fundamentally flawed.

In this last referendum 17.2 millions said they WANT to leave the EU, 16,8 million said the WANT to remain in the EU and 13 million did not vote. Of those that did not vote, if any had really WANTED to leave then they would have voted so it can be assumed that the majority of the 13 million were prepared to accept the status quo.

Any statement to the effect that the majority of Britons WANT to leave the EU is unproven and therefore false. To make a major constitutional change on that basis is a dangerous precedent.

The only conclusive resolution would be another confirmatory vote where all non votes and rejected ballot papers were treated as a vote for the status quo. That way you get 100% turnout and a non contentious result.

The first 2 referendums had a very clear majority and then in the 3rd David Cameron's arrogance excluded the concept of a contentious result. Parliament would have been reluctant to admit their mistake with the referendum bill and aggravated the problem by invoking Article 50, something I suspect many have come to regret.

One thing is for sure, once brexit is over, UK referendums as we know them will be history.

19 hours ago, nauseus said:

Nothing then. As usual.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

There has only ever been 3 national referendums in the UK and the way they have been held is fundamentally flawed.

In this last referendum 17.2 millions said they WANT to leave the EU, 16,8 million said the WANT to remain in the EU and 13 million did not vote. Of those that did not vote, if any had really WANTED to leave then they would have voted so it can be assumed that the majority of the 13 million were prepared to accept the status quo.

Any statement to the effect that the majority of Britons WANT to leave the EU is unproven and therefore false. To make a major constitutional change on that basis is a dangerous precedent.

The only conclusive resolution would be another confirmatory vote where all non votes and rejected ballot papers were treated as a vote for the status quo. That way you get 100% turnout and a non contentious result.

The first 2 referendums had a very clear majority and then in the 3rd David Cameron's arrogance excluded the concept of a contentious result. Parliament would have been reluctant to admit their mistake with the referendum bill and aggravated the problem by invoking Article 50, something I suspect many have come to regret.

One thing is for sure, once brexit is over, UK referendums as we know them will be history.

Just for you.......Hold on chap.....

23 minutes ago, <deleted> dasterdly said:

You need to repeat the 'offending' quote, as I suspect most of us can't be bothered to trawl back through the multitudes of posts.

They were two questions, <deleted>. He can't answer. No need to trawl.

Archived