BANGKOK
snoop1130

Thais told to mind that trash, as plastic claims another animal

Thais told to mind that trash, as plastic claims another animal

By The Nation

800_c34c3098a35a375.jpg

Chananya Karnjanasaka, a veterinarian at the Protected Area Regional Office 1, posted the image on August 21 of a dead deer on the “ReReef” Facebook page to raise public awareness about the indiscriminate disposal of plastic.

The deer’s corpse was found in Khao Yai National Park on August 20, and autopsy showed that the animal had died from the consumption of 3 kilograms of pieces of plastic, such as plastic bags, cutlery and rope. 

In response, the Department of National Parks Wildlife and Plant Conservation has banned all single-use plastic in the area and has directed staff to inform every shop in the vicinity of national parks to control the use of plastic and manage waste properly. 

“Mariam, the orphaned dugong, wasn’t the only animal that has died from eating plastic. Elephants and deer have also been found with several kilos of plastic pieces in their stomach. Even though we are trying to apply strong regulations, people should also be more aware of the problem with plastic pollution,” Chananya said. 

She added that this incident proves that plastic pollution is not just limited to the oceans, and that people not be blind to the situation and think before they throw away their plastic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375145

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-21
  • Sad 3

Why do they eat plastic? Daily I see soi dogs with a plastic bag filled with some sort of  food, they do eat the contents of the bag, but leave the plastic.

The Thai mindset sadly is as was told toi me , not my land, so I do not care. 

Until and if ever that changes then the situation will improve, but NOT I think in my lifetime . 

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

Where's the TV advertising campaign 'educating' people ?   Same in tray as the Seat Belt campaign presumably !     They are just not interested enough to spend money on the proper education of their Kids or Adults; much better to waste billions on unwanted Submarines.

You watch thai TV? Maybe you can not speak Thai?

https://voicetv.co.th/watch/qhUlYzuXr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1