Thais told to mind that trash, as plastic claims another animal

snoop1130

Thais told to mind that trash, as plastic claims another animal

By The Nation

800_c34c3098a35a375.jpg

Chananya Karnjanasaka, a veterinarian at the Protected Area Regional Office 1, posted the image on August 21 of a dead deer on the “ReReef” Facebook page to raise public awareness about the indiscriminate disposal of plastic.

The deer’s corpse was found in Khao Yai National Park on August 20, and autopsy showed that the animal had died from the consumption of 3 kilograms of pieces of plastic, such as plastic bags, cutlery and rope. 

In response, the Department of National Parks Wildlife and Plant Conservation has banned all single-use plastic in the area and has directed staff to inform every shop in the vicinity of national parks to control the use of plastic and manage waste properly. 

“Mariam, the orphaned dugong, wasn’t the only animal that has died from eating plastic. Elephants and deer have also been found with several kilos of plastic pieces in their stomach. Even though we are trying to apply strong regulations, people should also be more aware of the problem with plastic pollution,” Chananya said. 

She added that this incident proves that plastic pollution is not just limited to the oceans, and that people not be blind to the situation and think before they throw away their plastic.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30375145

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-21

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

She added that this incident proves that plastic pollution is not just limited to the oceans, and that people not be blind to the situation and think before they throw away their plastic.

It's the lack of critical thinking again: Actions causing harmful results.

8 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

NO, it just proves that the Thai people want to live in a sea of plastic rubbish on land and sea. Far as I can see , anywhere outside the pickup window is a bin

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

NO, it just proves that the Thai people want to live in a sea of plastic rubbish on land and sea. Far as I can see , anywhere outside the pickup window is a bin

I'm no Thai apologist by any means, but the way I perceive it, so many Thais have no spatial awareness and no interest either.

When for centuries they must have thrown food and other general rubbish on the ground, they still continue to do so because no one makes them do anything otherwise. Certainly there are people who are tidy and throw their rubbish into a bin, but a lot of it is laziness and lack of interest, knowing no better.

Where's the TV advertising campaign 'educating' people ?   Same in tray as the Seat Belt campaign presumably !     They are just not interested enough to spend money on the proper education of their Kids or Adults; much better to waste billions on unwanted Submarines.

5 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Where's the TV advertising campaign 'educating' people ?   Same in tray as the Seat Belt campaign presumably !     They are just not interested enough to spend money on the proper education of their Kids or Adults; much better to waste billions on unwanted Submarines.

A very valid point, I'm assuming there isn't any campaign.

Are we using our ferang thinking about this - using peak time advertising to get an environmental or safety issue across?

Or is it more likely, as you say, the government just aren't really interested in doing anything about it.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

Why do they eat plastic? Daily I see soi dogs with a plastic bag filled with some sort of  food, they do eat the contents of the bag, but leave the plastic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dogs ingested some small bits of plastic bag, even though they seem to realise the plastic is not edible.

Already sea creatures are consuming very small amounts of micro-plastic, and they are part of the food chain.

Scientists have already established that humans are now in turn consuming this micro-plastic through consumption of seafood.

It has yet to be establish what effect this may have on us, as the quantity is continually increasing.

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I'm no Thai apologist by any means, but the way I perceive it, so many Thais have no spatial awareness and no interest either.

18 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

The Thai mindset sadly is as was told toi me , not my land, so I do not care. 

Until and if ever that changes then the situation will improve, but NOT I think in my lifetime . 

Another day, and the farangs talking about a world problem that is the all the Thais fault. The Thai don’t have “spatial awareness”.

Big campaigns now to reduce plastic use, 7/11, supermarkets use the paper bag or no bag etc etc. clean up days.

Meanwhile in farangland is the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch”. Not thai rubbish. Picture below.

And who in the world use the most plastic? And they recycle themself or send to Thailand to recycle?

Better to help than complain. 

E9A7AC14-D0BF-4D4C-B1C2-0D1D3C8068BE.png

51097928-DDCA-4977-A282-730D8FA3DA4A.jpeg

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

You watch thai TV? Maybe you can not speak Thai?

https://voicetv.co.th/watch/qhUlYzuXr

53 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Another day, and the farangs talking about a world problem that is the all the Thais fault. The Thai don’t have “spatial awareness”.

Big campaigns now to reduce plastic use, 7/11, supermarkets use the paper bag or no bag etc etc. clean up days.

Meanwhile in farangland is the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch”. Not thai rubbish. Picture below.

And who in the world use the most plastic? And they recycle themself or send to Thailand to recycle?

Yinn, I agree it needs the countries consuming so much plastic to do something about it.

However, this shows the top countries dumping plastic into the ocean: China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahleung/2018/04/21/five-asian-countries-dump-more-plastic-than-anyone-else-combined-how-you-can-help/#646eebf41234

"And they recycle themself or send to Thailand to recycle?" I thought Prayut had stopped that now, stopping recycling in Thailand?

I do take an interest in what's happening elsewhere in the world, as well as here. I've posted on other threads about that recently.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118766-prayut-calls-on-everybody-to-join-the-fight-against-plastic/?tab=comments#comment-14485881

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118766-prayut-calls-on-everybody-to-join-the-fight-against-plastic/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-14486550

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1118766-prayut-calls-on-everybody-to-join-the-fight-against-plastic/?tab=comments#comment-14485760

As this particular topic is about Thailand, that's why I've posted on here about it, even though you don't agree with my opinion.

I said 'spatial awareness' because when I talked to people about what's happening immediately around them, some of them either aren't interested or don't appear to have noticed these things.

Why do so many motorcyclists pull out of a side street onto a larger road, without looking to their right, to see what traffic is oncoming. That's a lack of spatial awareness surely - or is it something else?

I've just seen your post which includes a couple of video clips from programmes about the plastic issue. That's good that it's being reported more now.

I'm trying to offering some constructive criticism: Do you think the plastic issue could be better targeted by a series of short adverts explaining what is happening to the plastic rubbish that is thrown away, and how it's affecting nature?

I'm sure if there were some short, hard-hitting 30-second adverts which were repeated, they would be seen by a much larger audience than the video reports at present?

It's the same as other countries, a lot of people won't sit and watch a documentary, or current affairs programme, but will watch a movie or a soap-opera. That's when there is a 'captive audience' who will see the short adverts, mixed in with the regular adverts.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I'm sure if there were some short, hard-hitting 30-second adverts which were repeated, they would be seen by a much larger audience than the video reports at present?

No the answer is to collect rubbish. Complain about it doesn’t help.

My friends we often collect rubbish on the beach. Recycle the plastic bottle and glass. Usually the price 8 baht per kilo, but they only pay for us 7 baht because it have sand and small seashell. We don’t care, we can do it for free. We burn the foam, rope, nets and shoes (so many shoes!). Burn is not the perfect solution, but better than the sea animal eat it. We do big quick fire. 

The rubbish we find is a lot from Thailand and Indonesia, also Burma Malaysia and Australia. Indian Ocean.  sometimes USA and China (maybe off the boat?)

Do you help collect rubbish? You live here right? You have spacial awareness right? Better to help than complain it right? Next time I will take the photo.

Also so this one is getting more popular.

4 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No the answer is to collect rubbish. Complain about it doesn’t help.

My friends we often collect rubbish on the beach. Recycle the plastic bottle and glass. Usually the price 8 baht per kilo, but they only pay for us 7 baht because it have sand and small seashell. We don’t care, we can do it for free. We burn the foam, rope, nets and shoes (so many shoes!). Burn is not the perfect solution, but better than the sea animal eat it. We do big quick fire. 

The rubbish we find is a lot from Thailand and Indonesia, also Burma Malaysia and Australia. Indian Ocean.  sometimes USA and China (maybe off the boat?)

Do you help collect rubbish? You live here right? You have spacial awareness right? Better to help than complain it right? Next time I will take the photo.

Also so this one is getting more popular.

I did say I was trying to offer some constructive criticism, but you just just see it as complaining. The whole point of this forum to to exchange views and ideas.

The whole point is to get more people to understand what is happening with the plastic problem, and why.

If we can get people to stop - or reduce - the rubbish they throw away, that is what we need.

I'm glad you're helping collect rubbish from the beach.

Last year I read an article about someone in Bangkok trying to encourage the use of biodegradable plastic bags. I was keen to find out how to publicise it, but the person didn't reply, although they said they would.

I have spatial awareness. There's no beach in Udon Thani where I live. I do pick up litter that other people throw away, even though a tessaban staff member told I couldn't do that as it was a job for Thais only and I wasn't allowed to do that as otherwise they wouldn't have a job - honestly!

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Another day, and the farangs talking about a world problem that is the all the Thais fault.

you  just cant see YOUR OWN NATIONS clear lack of understanding on this   which makes YOU part of that problem also, once again as a  Thai, deflection.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

51097928-DDCA-4977-A282-730D8FA3DA4A.jpeg

That s a "consumption figure"  now  show us the "recycling figure" heres a  list of mismanaged  disposal although 2010 i doubt theres  much change to  now

Untitled.jpg

44 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

even though a tessaban staff member told I couldn't do that as it was a job for Thais only and I wasn't allowed to do that as otherwise they wouldn't have a job - honestly!

Cant make it  up can you, maybe we  should just throw  our  litter  anywhere to  "employ Thais"

I did say I was trying to offer some constructive criticism, but you just just see it as complaining.

Maybe because I don’t have spacial awareness. Sorry about that. 

The whole point is to get more people to understand what is happening with the plastic problem, and why.

If we can get people to stop - or reduce - the rubbish they throw away, that is what we need.

Which is what OP about right?

Last year I read an article about someone in Bangkok trying to encourage the use of biodegradable plastic bags. I was keen to find out how to publicise it, but the person didn't reply, although they said they would.

Yes, I know that one.

I have spatial awareness. There's no beach in Udon Thani where I live

I go Issan before. So much rubbish. Even around the people home.

. I do pick up litter that other people throw away,

Ok, i sorry. You can complain if you help. 

even though a tessaban staff member told I couldn't do that as it was a job for Thais only

Unbelievable. Not really true, he just lose face. Because he not do it. If he do it, why you must do it?

When you go the immigration office next time ask them about that. They allow you sure. They happy you do it. Everyone happy you do it. 

Then tell tessabaan what they say. Ask him when he will do it. 

and I wasn't allowed to do that as otherwise they wouldn't have a job - honestly!

2 hours ago, Chazar said:

you  just cant see YOUR OWN NATIONS clear lack of understanding on this   which makes YOU part of that problem also, once again as a  Thai, deflection.

Hmmmm, I show you the clip. 

I think you lack understand thai language. So you ASSUME we not understand.

watch again. Then talk.

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

I go Issan before. So much rubbish. Even around the people home

I'm pleased that you can see which are the problem areas. Can you bring your beach team team to Issan and clean the whole area up for us?

Are there any other areas you think would benefit from your clean-up team, or is it only Issan that's bad?

6 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Why do they eat plastic? Daily I see soi dogs with a plastic bag filled with some sort of  food, they do eat the contents of the bag, but leave the plastic.

Animals like cattle and deer eat the plastic because they can taste the salt left over from the food inside.  These animals are often lacking salt in their diets, as their diets are deficient in this mineral... hence the reason they also go to salt licks, and eat soil high in salt content.

Sea animals like turtles eat the plastic because it look and feels like their natural food of jelly fish and seaweeds.

Ocean birds eat it for several reasons... so far as I have read.  Mostly because brightly coloured plastics reflect light and look the same as their prey of fish invertebrates.  As birds have a poor sense of taste they can't tell the difference.  

Fish eat the plastic as it looks like prey, and corals eat it as its got a chemical in the plastic that is actually tasty for the coral.  

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I did say I was trying to offer some constructive criticism, but you just just see it as complaining. The whole point of this forum to to exchange views and ideas.

I have spatial awareness. There's no beach in Udon Thani where I live. I do pick up litter that other people throw away, even though a tessaban staff member told I couldn't do that as it was a job for Thais only and I wasn't allowed to do that as otherwise they wouldn't have a job - honestly!

Nobody consider the truly amazing amount of toxic <deleted> produced when you burn plastics. So you clean the area but poison the atmosphere with one big burn.

Let me know when and where  the next  big burn is so I can stay well away.

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

More graft in subs than plastics waste education. 

Archived