Bringing iMac in luggage?

JCP108

I did bring my 27" imac from Dallas to Jakarta in a checked luggage. I took off the stand and I was using a hard luggage from samsonite with extra styrofoam cushioning on every corner of the imac similar to how apple ship it in the box. It survived the 24 hours air travel with 1 transit at Hong kong.  

On 8/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, JCP108 said:

A 27" iMac in a box would be too big for hand luggage. Wouldn't fit into the maximum carry-on limits.

And if you remove the box, wrap the iMac in clingfilm then wrap it in foam or in clothes, or buy a Neoprene sleeve for it, is it still too big?

Genuine question because I haven't checked, but IF that meets the size regulations, that's what I would do rather than entrust it to checked baggage.

Also, if you can show that it's your property, not a brand new purchase, you'd be unlikely to suffer import duties that way.  I've carried my laptop in and out of Thailand several times and other than having to separate it at Security for scanning,  have kept it in my rucksack.

@Tim339 your suggestion sounds good, but if you're carrying it, you know it won't get dropped from a great height! :omfg:

Archived