Car title.....farang to farang

cheeryble

Just about to buy a car from a farang friend.

He seemed to think it was easier if it is transferred to my Thai missus.

Is this so?

Any probs to just go straight Into my name.?

BTW I’m told if I have two cars......I already have one.....There is a considerable difference in the insurance, a reduction from paying for two separate cars as One can only drive one car at a time.

I know idea of the discount?

Presumably I’ll need them both in my name

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have the car  in my name and have over the years heard it referred to as "Your car".     I'll live with that and if I'm not living it'll automatically be "HER CAR"  as  all my other assets will become.

Insurance  wise, I don't know about Thailand's policies but in my home country there is what's called a multi car discount.    

I'd only suggest to be careful to allow your cars to have the rider of allowing other drivers than the car's owner or the insured  to drive.     

6 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Question is why?
.....and would I not be able to get a multi car discount..

There is no real reason

The only thing which you need, and which a Thai peson would not need, is something which confirms your address. This can be a yellow house book or a work permit, in case you don't have these you need to get a certificate of residence from your immigration office.

5 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Question is why?

I dunno and don't wanna know the trucks insured No.1 insurance the mrs gets the best deal because she is Thai.

Absolutely no reason not to place the vehicle in your own name. 

The process is a simple as transferring the vehicle into your Wife's name, you just need a little more documentation. 

- Passport Copy's

- Visa Copys (any type of visa is ok including Visa Exempt stamp)

- Poof of Residence (Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy or Immigration, House book (with you in it) or Yellow ID card).

The transfer can either take place your local DLT, or with the signed power of attorney document to permit you to process the transfer in the absence of the original owner. 

Regarding another comment that Thai's get better deals on insurance etc absolute rubbish, you'll get the same rates on insurance as a Thai - use a broker and shop around with 1st Class insurance of a well known company.

The process is a simple as transferring the vehicle into your Wife's name, you just need a little more documentation. 

- Passport Copy's

- Poof of Residence (Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy or Immigration, House book (with you in it) or Yellow ID card).

The transfer can either take place your local DLT, or with the signed power of attorney document to permit you to process the transfer in the absence of the original owner. 

Regarding another comment that Thai's get better deals on insurance etc absolute rubbish, you'll get the same rates on insurance as a Thai - use a broker and shop around with 1st Class insurance of a well known company.

Thank u for the detailed reply.

One more detail......when you say ."the" power of attorney document is there a specific form from the DLT? It would be most helpful to the seller to avoid a waste of time.

My wife tells me my other car has "3 plus" insurance.......premium 1900bt......., and as the value of the new one is 170,000bt 3 plus may also be suitable

Still hope to get an answer to the question in my last post if Richard Smith looks in ????

And something new.....

The car is still in my friend's name though I'm driving it often.

The win noticed the tax disc has the year 2560.

She looked in the blue book and says tax has not been paid since then so it's 2 or 3 years over and she says it's already due since for a test and tax up to 2563.

How does this get worked out at the DLT?

I'm also wondering if my friend's insurance.......quite expensive, 8000 baht for a 13 year old Jazz......is invalidated if there's not test or tax.

Thanks

54 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Still hope to get an answer to the question in my last post if Richard Smith looks in ????

And something new.....

The car is still in my friend's name though I'm driving it often.

The win noticed the tax disc has the year 2560.

She looked in the blue book and says tax has not been paid since then so it's 2 or 3 years over and she says it's already due since for a test and tax up to 2563.

How does this get worked out at the DLT?

I'm also wondering if my friend's insurance.......quite expensive, 8000 baht for a 13 year old Jazz......is invalidated if there's not test or tax.

Thanks

There is a format: Transfer of ownership and Power of Attorney - see attached, I used the Power of Attorney form for a Motorcycle transfer last year, I'm not certain if the Car one is the same form or not.

A google search should bring out some more examples...

This thread also has good info and the forms... 

Its obviously best you get everything sorted out before you transfer...  just incase there is anything else outstanding on the car (i.e. that its not even their car or there is an outstanding loan on the car etc).... Given that they haven't paid the tax for 3 years, I'd be wanting to do the transfer with them present at the DLT just to avoid any further complication. 

Regarding the Tax - if not taxed, the car is on the road illegally, thus, insurance could be void. However, as this is Thailand its probable you'd get away with it. A sharp policeman will notice your out of date tax though (I didn't notice that mine was 3 months out and I was stopped !).

When you transfer the car into your name, its quite probable that you will have to back pay the tax owed. 

I'm not sure how much 3rd Class insurance costs - one thing to check is to ensure you have a 'bail bond' covered (usually about THB 200,000) as well as cover for passengers or 3rd parties who may be injured as a result of an accident caused by you (all fairly normal stuff for 1st Class insurance). 

There is also the compulsory insurance 'por-ror-bor' (about 700 baht) which you cannot get without Tax.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

- Passport Copy's

but, if its not in her name, how can she hold him at ransom ?

There is a format: Transfer of ownership and Power of Attorney - see attached, I used the Power of Attorney form for a Motorcycle transfer last year, I'm not certain if the Car one is the same form or not.
A google search should bring out some more examples...

This thread also has good info and the forms... 

Its obviously best you get everything sorted out before you transfer...  just incase there is anything else outstanding on the car (i.e. that its not even their car or there is an outstanding loan on the car etc).... Given that they haven't paid the tax for 3 years, I'd be wanting to do the transfer with them present at the DLT just to avoid any further complication. 
[/url]  

Regarding the Tax - if not taxed, the car is on the road illegally, thus, insurance could be void. However, as this is Thailand its probable you'd get away with it. A sharp policeman will notice your out of date tax though (I didn't notice that mine was 3 months out and I was stopped !).

When you transfer the car into your name, its quite probable that you will have to back pay the tax owed. 

I'm not sure how much 3rd Class insurance costs - one thing to check is to ensure you have a 'bail bond' covered (usually about THB 200,000) as well as cover for passengers or 3rd parties who may be injured as a result of an accident caused by you (all fairly normal stuff for 1st Class insurance). 

There is also the compulsory insurance 'por-ror-bor' (about 700 baht) which you cannot get without Tax.

What an archetypal good answer!
.....and the forms too.......though u r right in this case better to take friend and make sure all is sorted properly.
As the man in the Kurt Vonnegut novel who was sentenced to defenestration from a high tower for the crime of ingratitude yelled on the way down “thanks a milllliiiiiooooooon"

On 8/21/2019 at 11:03 PM, jackdd said:

There is no real reason

The only thing which you need, and which a Thai peson would not need, is something which confirms your address. This can be a yellow house book or a work permit, in case you don't have these you need to get a certificate of residence from your immigration office.

Also a Thai person would need confirmation of address, in the form of Tambien Baan.

Contact your insurance company, many companies will have a multi car cover which should work out cheaper than 2x single.

Yes, taxes over previous years will have to be paid, including a small fine.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Wife says compulsory insurance needs paying back too even if it had a better class of cover.

Not sure if I believe her.

(this has to stay between menfolk)

10 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Wife says compulsory insurance needs paying back too even if it had a better class of cover.

Not sure if I believe her.

(this has to stay between menfolk)

Yes, compulsory has to be back paid as well. Your better class of cover does not.

On 8/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, cheeryble said:

Question is why?

You would get a discount if you met the threshold set by an individual insurer.

If the required documentation for both seller and buyer is in order, there shouldn't be any problem.

We insure 8 vehicles and the only discounts available to us are; restrictive drivers and third party only. What companies are you dealing with?

You would get a discount if you met the threshold set by an individual insurer. If the required documentation for both seller and buyer is in order, there shouldn't be any problem. We insure 8 vehicles and the only discounts available to us are; restrictive drivers and third party only. What companies are you dealing with?

Missus tells me it’s insured by Akané.......อาคเนย์

Don’t know if u read Thai but it’s the third column below.

I pay 1900 for a 1999 Vitara minus a 100 discount. Benefits and limits are shown in the upper rows

IMG_7938.JPG.0191671a9190c53746af77bc0eec4345.JPG&key=f97c56b4ee27f10cf6fda240eb562abfe3df5b603fc632a1cfcf10cd0d6631a8

Alls well that ends well!

Jazz is now in my name......wife ended up telling me to do it myself as I didn’t believe her that there is no multi car discount.
In fact there’s a private insurance company kiosk at the driver licensing office and I asked them. Their company at least does not do them… Who knows maybe the wife’s right ha ha.
For readers interest there wasPayment due for three years tax stickers, two years finished and one recently started they handed me a bill of about 2900 Bt for theThree years and transfer fee I think it was 1255. My friend who is selling paid the two past years stickers, while I paid the new sticker as this is mostly future and was happy to pay the transfer.
So I walked out with everything stamped up-to-date and the year 63 tax sticker to put in the window.
My problem now is the Suzuki Vitara I just got fixed with cylinder head gasket etc. etc. proves to be still leaking it seems to have used a bottle of distilled water in the last few days. So now that’s going to have to go in and have a pressure test look for The diamond league again the damn leak again the damn leak again. Yawn

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 8/24/2019 at 11:04 PM, cheeryble said:

Missus tells me it’s insured by Akané.......อาคเนย์

Don’t know if u read Thai but it’s the third column below.

I pay 1900 for a 1999 Vitara minus a 100 discount. Benefits and limits are shown in the upper rows

IMG_7938.JPG.0191671a9190c53746af77bc0eec4345.JPG&key=f97c56b4ee27f10cf6fda240eb562abfe3df5b603fc632a1cfcf10cd0d6631a8

Not that well. But my interpretation is that you aren't presently covered for damage resulting from a collision with a third party vehicle if you were at fault. Other than the personal belongings of that third party.

An injury only policy which improves on the government insurance.

Unsure why Chubb seem to offer 30,000THB for damage to the insured's vehicle if the third party's vehicle isn't insured, though.

I suppose it's Thailand and a lot of conversations could make your policy work favorably. A little too risky for my liking.

We use class 2 insurance for the old stuff. Because it covers third party vehicles. They're so old or modified that class 1 insurance isn't a practical option. And the usage is really low anyways.

On 8/23/2019 at 1:58 PM, stevenl said:

Also a Thai person would need confirmation of address, in the form of Tambien Baan.

Contact your insurance company, many companies will have a multi car cover which should work out cheaper than 2x single.

Not only tax, also any tickets given by coppers. 

17 hours ago, alacrity said:

Not that well. But my interpretation is that you aren't presently covered for damage resulting from a collision with a third party vehicle if you were at fault. Other than the personal belongings of that third party.

Unsure why Chubb seem to offer 30,000THB for damage to the insured's vehicle if the third party's vehicle isn't insured, though.

I suppose it's Thailand and a lot of conversations could make your policy work favorably. A little too risky for my liking.

We use class 2 insurance for the old stuff. Because it covers third party vehicles. They're so old or modified that class 1 insurance isn't a practical option. And the usage is really low anyways.

Class 1 covers own car + other car in accident, class 2 covers own car if no collision (storm, theft) + other car in accident, class 3 covers other car in accident.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Class 1 covers own car + other car in accident, class 2 covers own car if no collision (storm, theft) + other car in accident, class 3 covers other car in accident.

Not disputing your interpretation. I did state that my understanding of written Thai was limited.

However there are financially decremental limitations imposed by each classification of policy and all class; 1, 2 and 3 policies aren't the same. Something that's reflected in the cost determined by the value and repair requirements of the vehicle.

There's no possibility that class 2 insurance would cover repair of my older stuff under any circumstance yet a compromise of some payment is achievable. The third party liabilities are more enhanced than any class 3 insurance. Which is why I chose it for my vehicles.

Based on the costs of fully insuring them versus a reasonable cost given the usage. They're effectively trailer queens. I chose what I consider to be my best option(s).

Up to the individual to make their own considerations and choices. The amount of information and related experience passed on can be nothing but helpful. Don't you think? 

On August 30, 2019 at 8:20 PM, alacrity said:

Despite my wife's protestations .......and she normally is amazing efficient......I came to your conclusion that despite being tested at the licensing office in Hang DOng Rd and being given a tax sticker I did not get compulsory coverage.

In any case since my set to last year I want more than the govt coverage. I'm willing to pay all or most of my own damages but not for damage to another car or person. From her hospital bed she has been organising and tells me I'll be insured privately today. She worked out what best suited with her sister and as I have Akané insurance for my other car they chose that at 1900bt. (Third column in green)

I'm not sure this is the end of it as she was insisting before that even with private insurance one still need compulsory insurance.............true? I must find out.

Thanks

56 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

I'm not sure this is the end of it as she was insisting before that even with private insurance one still need compulsory insurance.............true? I must find out.

Yes its true you must have the compulsory insurance,  but if you get a higher class  3rd, 2nd or 1st class then the compulsory can be part of the package..you have to check what the insurance certificate says as to whether compulsory is included or not.

The compulsory Gov insurance has NOTHING to do with private insurance..Your broker will sort the Gov insurance at the same time as your private stuff if you want. They are separate documents. LTO is not interested in your private cover...

Archived