Car title.....farang to farang

cheeryble

ned Additional insurance is a personal choice/gamble.

7 hours ago, cheeryble said:

Despite my wife's protestations .......and she normally is amazing efficient......I came to your conclusion that despite being tested at the licensing office in Hang DOng Rd and being given a tax sticker I did not get compulsory coverage.

In any case since my set to last year I want more than the govt coverage. I'm willing to pay all or most of my own damages but not for damage to another car or person. From her hospital bed she has been organising and tells me I'll be insured privately today. She worked out what best suited with her sister and as I have Akané insurance for my other car they chose that at 1900bt. (Third column in green)

I'm not sure this is the end of it as she was insisting before that even with private insurance one still need compulsory insurance.............true? I must find out.

Thanks

That's true. Hence the term compulsory insurance. It provides a predetermined basic standard of cover determined by the government. Private insurance is additional and enhances the standard of coverage. Only the compulsory insurance is needed to bay the Tabien. The choice/gamble is yours to make.

Have never found a broker that gives a discount for the number of vehicles. Only cheaper/reduced coverage policies seem to be available and I don't consider those to be discounts.

Other than one sedan that's insured by Viriyah all our stuff is insured by AIG. Seems only Viriyah gives my preferred level of coverage for that vehicle.

Well the friend I bought from checked and after getting a refund from Allianz (I think) he said he has not other papers so no compulsory insurance. He leaves the country today.

given that he didn't pay the tax sticker for two or three years its highly unlikely he ever got one, and just bought private insurance supposedly to cover himself.

Question is how do i get one.

May be best left to the missus 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely no reason not to place the vehicle in your own name. 

The process is a simple as transferring the vehicle into your Wife's name, you just need a little more documentation. 

- Passport Copy's

- Visa Copys (any type of visa is ok including Visa Exempt stamp)

- Poof of Residence (Affirmation of Residence document from your Embassy or Immigration, House book (with you in it) or Yellow ID card).

The transfer can either take place your local DLT, or with the signed power of attorney document to permit you to process the transfer in the absence of the original owner. 

Regarding another comment that Thai's get better deals on insurance etc absolute rubbish, you'll get the same rates on insurance as a Thai - use a broker and shop around with 1st Class insurance of a well known company.

Hope I'm not hijacking the OP, but could you advise if it's possible to conduct an ownership transfer registration at a different DLT than the one on the existing registration?

I'm assured the guy will provide his green book and his ID and a power of attorney for his friend or me to transfer the ownership into my name. The owner has already moved overseas.

The bike is being delivered to us in our area to complete the sale.

Also, does the DLT check the documents for fraud / evidence of theft, or is that down to me to check. I know they cross check the vehicle engine and chassis numbers with the green book, but will a new registration preclude any risk of the bike being stolen and repercussions on me at a later date?

I'm a bit unsure, as it's one of those "too good to be true" scenarios. However, as we are not being put to any inconvenience I thought it was worth considering.

I bought my car on a similar very good deal, but on that occasion I flew to Bangkok, met the seller and viewed the car at their house. It all turned out fine and a very good deal.

On 9/3/2019 at 9:58 AM, Tofer said:

The owner has already moved overseas.

If the owner was a foreigner then you'll (probably) need  signed copies of his passport photo page,old visa and exit from Thailand stamp

will a new registration preclude any risk of the bike being stolen and repercussions on me at a later date?

Well if they do change your details in the green book at the DLT..then its yours, as far as I know there is nothing else you can do to check before hand  like you can in say the UK...you can check for  accidents/write offs,finance still owed reported stolen etc...here the finance/leasing company may keep the book till its paid off and/or they will be registered as the owner.1993386484_page5.thumb.jpg.8d8550a6b477b26f54901dcc68cc8c51.jpg

I'm a bit unsure, as it's one of those "too good to be true" scenarios.

You obviously have paid no money up front at all..but I guess the reason its cheap is because the owner went overseas and they can't get the needed paperwork.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, johng said:

If the owner was a foreigner then you'll (probably) need  signed copies of his passport photo page,old visa and exit from Thailand stamp

Well if they do change your details in the green book at the DLT..then its yours, as far as I know there is nothing else you can do to check before hand  like you can in say the UK...you can check for  accidents/write offs,finance still owed reported stolen etc...here the finance/leasing company may keep the book till its paid off and/or they will be registered as the owner.1993386484_page5.thumb.jpg.8d8550a6b477b26f54901dcc68cc8c51.jpg

You obviously have paid no money up front at all..but I guess the reason its cheap is because the owner went overseas and they can't get the needed paperwork.

Many thanks for your detailed comments and advice.

I was already very sceptical when they offered to deliver to Krabi from Chonburi, having already suggested I travel up to Chonburi and meet them at the DLT with a bank cashiers cheque (BCC) in the owners name. But as you said there have been such occasions when somebody is leaving the country. Although this guy had already left, so what's the panick.

At this point I'm thinking it surely is a scam, especially considering the heavily discounted price of 80,000 THB on a nearly new motorbike (7 weeks old and 140kms) in perfect condition, costing 165,000 THB new. I would think he could have walked into any Honda shop and easily got over 100,000THB on the spot.

I asked the questions though as I was seriously interested to know the mechanics of such a situation.

However, I decided to play along to see where it led.

When delivery date was agreed, I then received a lengthy email explaining how he wanted a "secure" bank transfer / money gram in the morning of the day he was going to deliver the bike at 5.00pm(?), to show my serious intent to buy. He attached a link to TMB to show how this type of transfer could only be released to him if / when I advised him of a password (?)

I replied asking how he planned to get to Krabi from Chonburi with the bike in 8hrs? The bank opens at 8.30- 9.00am and he arrives at 5.00pm - magic! No answer...

I also told him his representative would need to stay overnight to accompany me to DLT to complete the checks and transfer, and then I would hand over a BCC. Reply - no transfer, buy another bike....

I wanted to post this scenario hopefully to help others avoid such a scam. I've also contacted Bahtsold to have them take down the add and, if possible trace him for the police to act. Wishful thinking, I know!

There are however, deals to be had if you're careful. I bought a car 1 year old with approx 6200kms for 900,000, in perfect condition from a guy leaving the country, which cost him over 1.43m THB new.

The message is, follow the recommended procedures, don't send / pay anything in advance, and enjoy a happy outcome.

4 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I then received a lengthy email explaining how he wanted a "secure" bank transfer / money gram in the morning of the day he was going to deliver the bike at 5.00pm

Thought so...glad you didn't fall for it. ????

6 minutes ago, johng said:

Thought so...glad you didn't fall for it. ????

Thanks for the kind words.

Although there is no way on Gods earth I could be that stupid - I hope.... I know I'm getting old, but hopefully not lost my marbles yet.... 

Having said that, I do ride a motorbike in Thailand....????

On 9/2/2019 at 11:58 AM, cheeryble said:

Well the friend I bought from checked and after getting a refund from Allianz (I think) he said he has not other papers so no compulsory insurance. He leaves the country today.

given that he didn't pay the tax sticker for two or three years its highly unlikely he ever got one, and just bought private insurance supposedly to cover himself.

Question is how do i get one.

May be best left to the missus 

The getting is easy. A backlog of responsibilities becomes yours.

I have one vehicle for which I pay an excursive rate which ensures an adequate (approved standard of) repair in order with the manufacturers specifications. Basically it is insured for the correct amount which standard class one couldn't/doesn't fully cover for a third party liability. So I'm paying more to cover that cost. Not a third parties.

For older stuff that level of insurance isn't a viable option for me. They're not regular old stuff and more than 50 years old. I balance that by getting the best 3rd party insurance.

For this year our insurance costs were 213,000 THB.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:41 PM, cheeryble said:

So I walked out with everything stamped up-to-date and the year 63 tax sticker to put in the window.

If they taxed the vehicle for the current year then it must have the compulsory Government insurance, they will not issue the tax without it.

They would have taken the detachable slip off the cover note for the compulsory insurance.

Most major insurance companies will provide the government cover, are you sure that it wasn't included in the cover you purchased?

On 9/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, cheeryble said:

Not sure I’ve ever spent 213,000 for a car. W

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

A total bill for more than one, including coverage for that of our daughters which became due whilst she was out of the country.

There's a lot of vehicles around where you need to insure the value by additional payment to a standard class 1 (the cheapest offering). Simply because it has a value (and potential repair cost) which exceeds the maximum of a third party's policy.

As stated earlier we insure some for third party liabilities only and absorb the cost of our repairs. Otherwise we would pay significantly more.

A freaking lot more.

Archived