Question about having 2 different retirement visas

I plan to leave this country after 5 years – enough is enough!

What I want to do is apply in another country for a retirement visa but keep my Thai retirement until I finalise everything here such as sell my property.

Would there be a problem with Thai immigration if they saw that I had another country's retirement visa in my passport and would Thai immigration automatically cancel my retirement here?

Could I extend my retirement stay in Thailand with immigration on the due date if necessary despite having another country's retirement visa in my passport?

Perhaps the great immigration experts on this forum could give me some good advice.  Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Diddl said:

Would there be a problem with Thai immigration if they saw that I had another country's retirement visa in my passport and would Thai immigration automatically cancel my retirement here?

No.

6 minutes ago, Diddl said:

Could I extend my retirement stay in Thailand with immigration on the due date if necessary despite having another country's retirement visa in my passport?

Yes.

• Like 1

I don't think it matters because Thai officers follow the rules by the book.

This is a special situation that the rules didn't state. As long as your passport has the Thai retirement visa, they don't really care which other visas you have. Anyway, their English proficiency is low so probably they won't understand what is written on the other visa.

Mind telling us which country you're going to? So that the rest of us might also consider.

Yes, Thailand is making it tougher to live. Some of us like you have ties here like condos, kids or wife so it's more difficult to leave.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Diddl said:

Thank you everyone for all your responses, I appreciate it.

I am seriously thinking of Sri Lanka. I have looked into Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, but I feel that these countries will be similar in many respects to Thailand.

Sri Lanka offers a 2 year retirement visa and does not require all the shenanigans of 90-day reporting, TM30s, and every year renewals or extension. They do require the money in the bank though (mentioned below) so similar to Thailand, but at least there are no other hassles, and apparently it is very easy to renew the retirement visa once the 2 years are up.

The Sri Lankan retirement visa is called “My dream home visa programme”.

Requirements

• Must be over 55 years of age.

• Should forward US$15,000, or the equivalent into an approved foreign currency, and deposit it into a fixed deposit account at an approved bank in Sri Lanka.

• A monthly deposit of US$1,500, or equivalent, and an additional US$750 for any dependants into a savings account or current account in an approved bank.

Most people speak English there and I like Indian curries - none of this MSG poison. I will go and see about this after the monsoon is over. I can't wait to get out of this godforsaken place Thailand with all its rules and regulations amongst other things. I can't think of anywhere else to go because I will not go back to Europe, I don't fancy the Americas, and Indonesia or the Philippines don't attract me. I think the cost of living in Sri Lanka is cheaper also.  It looks like a beautiful island with beaches and magnificent hills.

What are the costs of living like  -  notably rent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, St George said:

What are the costs of living like  -  notably rent.

You will find a lot of property prices for rent or for sale on the internet.  Colombo will obviously be the most expensive.  Everything depends on where you want to live in Sri Lanka and the size of the property.  I can find a bigger place to live in Sri Lanka with the price I paid for in Thailand.  Everything always depends on what you want and expect.

If Sri Lanka immigration expect you to live comfortably on $1500 per month bank transfers, that should give you an idea.  In Thailand, the transfer of Baht65,000 monthly is more than $2000 - there is your answer.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Diddl said:

You will find a lot of property prices for rent or for sale on the internet.  Colombo will obviously be the most expensive.  Everything depends on where you want to live in Sri Lanka and the size of the property.  I can find a bigger place to live in Sri Lanka with the price I paid for in Thailand.  Everything always depends on what you want and expect.

If Sri Lanka immigration expect you to live comfortably on $1500 per month bank transfers, that should give you an idea.  In Thailand, the transfer of Baht65,000 monthly is more than $2000 - there is your answer.

Lovely pitch and wind up

• Like 1

Interesting American article NCC1701A but most American articles read like this, in fact it sounds like just about everywhere in the world now.

Just to put people straight, my question was about having 2 different retirement visas in my passport.  I only mentioned Sri Lanka because people asked about where I might go, so all I can say is it seems to appeal to me.  I am not advertising this country, I just answered the questions asked and explained why it appealed to me as I am fed up with all the Thai rules and regulations which Sri Lanka does not seem to have.  I will have more information when I visit and then I will decide.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...