Nine-minute miss costs CP Bt290-billion project

snoop1130

Nine-minute miss costs CP Bt290-billion project

By THE NATION

800_49ca8a437624468.jpg

The court heard a testimony from the five petitioners that they had missed the 3-pm deadline for the formal submission by a mere nine minutes due to traffic congestion.

The Central Administrative Court today ruled against a construction consortium representing Charoen Pokphand Group (CP) through five affiliates that tried to submit bids, after the submission deadline on March 21, for the U-Tapao airport and Eastern Aviation City development projects worth a total of Bt290 billion.

The court heard a testimony from the five petitioners representing Thana Holding Joint Venture Co Ltd and four affiliates that they had missed the 3-pm deadline for the formal submission of bidding documents by a mere nine minutes due to traffic congestion.

The five petitioners are Thana Holding Joint Venture Co Ltd, B Grimm Joint Venture Co Ltd, Italian Thai Development Plc, Ch Karnchang Plc and Orient Success International Co Ltd.

They filed a joint complaint on April 10 with the court against a selection committee appointed by project owner Royal Thai Navy (RTN) for not formally accepting their bidding documents on that day at the RTN headquarters in Bangkok Noi district on the Thon Buri side of Bangkok.

As of 7.30 pm today (August 21), CP and the five petitioners have not issued a public statement as to whether they would appeal the court's ruling, to exercise the right they are entitled to within a 30-day time frame.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30375160

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-08-21

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Must be the first project in history of Thailand that isn't awarded to "know-it-all" mighty CP

Not really. One of the other consortiums bidding for the project involved Sino-Thai (STEC) which, obviously coincidentally, happens to be controlled by one of our new Deputy PMs and leader of key coalition partner BJT party Anutin Charnviralkul. 

Who leaves an action of that significance until the last minute to rush across town, hoping Bkk traffic will cooperate and get you in the door at the very last minute of opportunity? Perhaps CP missing the boat on this one is a good thing. If they can't pull off something as simple as submitting a proposal by the deadline, what are the odds they'll complete such a huge construction project anywhere near budget or on time, regardless of their size or experience? 

I wonder how many heads will roll at CP's corporate office for this and how high up the proverbial decapitation will go. 

None of these people can lie straight in bed at night.

Handing in the bid at the last minute is common practice here because no one trusts anyone and they are scared of last minute shenanigans (ie: you hand it in the day before and they look at the bid and tell the preferred provider the price they have to meet).

Who knows? Maybe the competitors handed theirs in early and CP were late because they were making some well informed last minute adjustments.

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

Who leaves an action of that significance until the last minute to rush across town, hoping Bkk traffic will cooperate and get you in the door at the very last minute of opportunity? Perhaps CP missing the boat on this one is a good thing. If they can't pull off something as simple as submitting a proposal by the deadline, what are the odds they'll complete such a huge construction project anywhere near budget or on time, regardless of their size or experience? 

I wonder how many heads will roll at CP's corporate office for this and how high up the proverbial decapitation will go. 

neck level?

A similar thing happened for the company I used to work for. Traffic jam and the deadline was coming closer and closer. The solution was that the estimator jumped on the back of a motorbike with the documents and asked the driver to break all speed regulations and any other regulations there were, which he did.

Documents delivered in time. Estimator needed time to recover, but there was no deadline for that...

you snooze you lose

Unwilling to take motorcycle taxi?

I tell visitors when they ask how far away something is "Well, it's a 20 minute drive or a ten minute walk"

I used to walk home from Ekamai station to Phra Kanong. I'd pick out some van with advert to "race". Sometimes I'd beat it home

10 hours ago, anterian said:

Everyone knows the traffic situation in Bangkok and plans accordingly.

Amazing that CP a corporation worth billions can not plan to have the documents delivered before the deadline.

Why do they have to wait. ? Is here a way to find out the content of others submission bids and modify their offer at the last minute ?

Otherwise, 24 hours before would be a safe bet .

10 hours ago, Tapster said:

That's 9.5 billion USD!!!

If it was worth that much, you'd think they might get it in the day before!

????

Not a mob like this, they think they are entitled to ignore / re-write the regulations to whatever's good for them.

Yes they blew it in the end by missing the "exact" drop off time but I also imagine how Thailand works

that they knew there is no way they can drop a bid off the day before.

If they did the info would likley be sold & their bid would then be undercut / under bid by another Thai company that paid to know

what others bid.

They should have allowed a few hours to stand outside then deliver in the 11th hour their bid

2 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

How can all five competitors all be exactly 9 minutes late.Bowerboy is on the money. Each of the five bidders would of had a number of quotes ready to submit.One phone call after close of bids would tell them which quote to submit.

They were all in the same mini-bus....????

10 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Read the OP it involed B.Grimm, Itai-Thai and another company who are in partner with CP.

36 minutes ago, mania said:

Yes they blew it in the end by missing the "exact" drop off time but I also imagine how Thailand works

that they knew there is no way they can drop a bid off the day before.

If they did the info would likley be sold & their bid would then be undercut / under bid by another Thai company that paid to know

what others bid.

They should have allowed a few hours to stand outside then deliver in the 11th hour their bid

I have worked on projects where there were 3-5 different pricing letters, with the final selection not told to the delivery person until minutes before the deadline. Sometimes you need to go to extreme lengths...

Archived