Washing machine code e40

stubuzz

Yesterday, the elecrolux washing machine was not in use but The lights were on and it was showing E40 (door lock fault code). I pressed the off button and the lights went crazy, but it turned off. Only to come back on again after a few seconds. This continued a few times but it went back to normal after i removed the plug for a while. I tested a short wash and all was as it should be.

Today around the same time, 6pm, i saw the lights were on and e40 was in the display again. I did notice around the same time that some of the florescent tubes flickered. I checked power at the socket and it was 220v- (with a few lights and fans running on the circuit) I plugged and unplugged the machine several times but it stayed off and did not show any odd behavior.

The machine had a new PCB around 10 months ago, but i think it maybe giving up again. What do you think?

Just now, tjo o tjim said:

What prompted the first board replacement?

The machine was dead. When i examined the board you could see the the blown bits.

The door is always left ajar when not in use.

No surge suppressor.

A few suggestions:  unplug the thing for a while, like overnight, or for however long you don't use it;

open and close every thing that can be open or closed;

rotate every dial, push every button, flip every switch etc.

It's amazing how many gadgets can be repaired by going through this.

This problem, along with the blown-out circuit board, sounds like uneven power supply, drops and surges.

After the saga of our Samsung washer our new (Electrolux) machine is disconnected from the supply whenever it's not in use.

I would echo the installation of surge supressors.

The Samsung washer thread

8 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Get a surge suppressor.  Ideally two, one on your main board, and one at the outlet for the washer.

Can you get surge protector built into a breaker? ( ie a standalone) It would be easier to swap it for the current one. I would appreciate a link to get me started. Thanks.

FYI- I have no issues with the computer or TV which is in use most of the time.

The voltage at 6am was 228v compared to 220 at 6pm.

21 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Can you get surge protector built into a breaker? ( ie a standalone) 

Easiest solution might be to put it inline with the washer cord, assuming you have a proper ground on that outlet. The idea of a switch or unplugging is also smart depending on how often you use it. 

Archived