Burger big chain rant

atyclb

without saying the name the initials are b k . .    typically order a combo set that includes a burger, fries, and drink. easy and just tell cashier whit set or combo number i want.

lately very simple and clear things get complicated.    i start getting an inquisition baraged with questions

# what size drink do you want?

# what size fries do you want?

i order the set/combo because it requires no clarification whatsoever.

they never ask me the pertinent question as to which soft drink i want since sometimes i say seven up or iced tea.

really annoying to need to get into a discussion about what i want in my order.

i have responded . "what size drink comes with my combo set?  what size fries comes with my set?

essentially they try to upsell my specific set/combo and it is a waste of time, annoying and irritating.

they never offer to do anything such as removing burger toppings as to lower the price.  just tactics to raise the price

this <deleted> only adds to the ever annoying ask me repeatedly "eat here or takeaway" despite clearly saying it in clear thai 10 seconds prior.

email sent to local bk office but "thai standard" no reply.

And the flip side to that, as there is rarely a full itemised price list, just combo meals etc, is someone complains, "why didnt you say it was only 10 baht more for LARGE fries with that ?"  Why dont the staff make you aware of these things ???

Damned if you do damned if you dont, the staff are following the training given and they will follow it like robots. They are in a business to make money and upselling is a common practice to increase  stock movement and sales revenue - how dare they !!

Oh, and by the way, some of us would KILL to be able to walk into one of those for a change, but dont have the option at all ! At least you have one to complain about. ????

Never had an email response from a Thai business - now I don't even bother to waste the few minutes of my time I just vote with my wallet and go somewhere else, really that's all I can do. At current exchange rates BK is more expensive in Thailand than pretty much anywhere in the world,  give me a 40 Baht noodle soup any day of the week.

The other fastfood chains do it as well.....they even can't say "would you like supersize sir" and instead expect me to understand their drivel.

Subway is even worse, you'll have to argue with the non english speaking staff for about 10 questions to get your order.

They should make easy menu's without any questions because i'm done with staff who can't speak english and works for foreign chains.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

And the flip side to that, as there is rarely a full itemised price list, just combo meals etc, is someone complains, "why didnt you say it was only 10 baht more for LARGE fries with that ?"  Why dont the staff make you aware of these things ???

Damned if you do damned if you dont, the staff are following the training given and they will follow it like robots. They are in a business to make money and upselling is a common practice to increase  stock movement and sales revenue - how dare they !!

Oh, and by the way, some of us would KILL to be able to walk into one of those for a change, but dont have the option at all ! At least you have one to complain about. ????

Ones who went to live rural should not complain about missing fastfood...

I agree that they also should advertise the separate burgers sold, they do have them but you'll have to ask for the price.

The staff at BK is so dumb they always give a set when you order a burger only and speak it out clearly.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

deep breath, relax.   can i kerry express you a big mac combo?

never minded when mcdonald used to ask the simple question about supersize it but i dont want to get into a dissertation about customizing a combo set with a fixed price.

6 minutes ago, Youlike said:

I agree that they also should advertise the separate burgers sold, they do have them but you'll have to ask for the price.

The staff at BK is so dumb they always give a set when you order a burger only and speak it out clearly.

there is a lot of robotic thinking and even if you say it crystal clear in thai 70 % of time they get it wrong or ask the same question you already answered. (read/write thai)

this is true in thai restaurants also with certain dishes, for instance tom ka soup.  if you specify in thai "shrimp tom ka" most of the time they bring chicken.

also at many fats food places if i specify 7 up most of the time they bring pepsi.  a thai gal i know that did a masters in england goes with me to eat and she usually makes a bet with me about how many time she needs to repeat the order for the staff to get it right.

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

kfc has never tried to upsell. only ask pertinent question like "spicy" or not and eat here or takeaway; 10 seconds after i clearly stated all of the above in thai

KFC is the only "chain" in town here, they always ask me about upgrade to larger fries and the current offer on whatever nuggget or custard tarts etc.

24 minutes ago, Youlike said:

yup, secret is mcdonalds sells just a burger for 29 baht. often i dont have the room for the combo set, just want a burger

49 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Never had an email response from a Thai business - now I don't even bother to waste the few minutes of my time I just vote with my wallet and go somewhere else, really that's all I can do. At current exchange rates BK is more expensive in Thailand than pretty much anywhere in the world,  give me a 40 Baht noodle soup any day of the week.

Flying home last trip I had to eat, went to BK for a whopper meal- set.

it was 420 baht, I realize it was an airport, but at over $18 Canuck, it seemed a little much.

50 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

KFC is the only "chain" in town here, they always ask me about upgrade to larger fries and the current offer on whatever nuggget or custard tarts etc.

as KFC usually serves micro-sized fries portions with about 6 fries in it, the jumbo size +50% gets you about 9 fries.

and regarding BK, I think it is way too expensive, not only at the airport.

also, I dislike the taste of their burgers, which is not helpful to get my patronage.

22 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

it was 420 baht, I realize it was an airport, but at over $18 Canuck, it seemed a little much.

That's a ridiculous price!

The last time I had a whopper was at the BK on Beach Road in Pattya over a decade ago. It was amazingly flavourless -- nothing like I remembered them being! The last time had anything from McD's is over 2 decades ago. I never did buy anything from them when living in Thailand, but I went into the one on Beach Road near Walking St. once with a friend who needed his quarter-pounder hit. I tried ordering a filet of fish and salad set but wanted the Pepsi or whatever bubbly <deleted> they sell replaced with water. No way! They refused to substitute pop for water, so I passed on it and have never had the urge to set foot in McD's since then. I tried an A&W teen burger when back home on holiday one time, and was shocked at how salty it was. I couldn't finish it due to that. I guess I'm just not a fast food kind of person. 

42 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

whopper junior (310 calories), fries and drink in rachada bkk area 169 baht.  about 6 usd.    420 is airport price.  

9 minutes ago, atyclb said:

whopper junior (310 calories), fries and drink in rachada bkk area 169 baht.  about 6 usd.    420 is airport price.  

Yes I stated it was airport price, and I k ow airport prices are always high. But last I checked I needed to eat, so I paid the piper.

6 hours ago, Youlike said:

The other fastfood chains do it as well.....they even can't say "would you like supersize sir" and instead expect me to understand their drivel.

Subway is even worse, you'll have to argue with the non english speaking staff for about 10 questions to get your order.

They should make easy menu's without any questions because i'm done with staff who can't speak english and works for foreign chains.

To address part of your seemingly strident glumble.

In McD's they do ask if I want to "Upsize". When the young lady asked me that, I had no idea what she meant.

"Upsize"! What a daft word.

Anyone know where the burgers are made, coz they taste the same - iirc as in blighty?

4 hours ago, faraday said:
10 hours ago, Youlike said:

To address part of your seemingly strident glumble.

In McD's they do ask if I want to "Upsize". When the young lady asked me that, I had no idea what she meant.

"Upsize"! What a daft word.

Anyone know where the burgers are made, coz they taste the same - iirc as in blighty?

next time she asks you about "upsize" just specify "shaft or diameter"?

Archived