Overstay

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The only extension available is in a detention centre if he gets arrested.

Pay the fine at the airport ….. on the way out.

I read on a thailand travel essentials website that he was able to do it in the embassy but he doesn’t want to go there for them to turn him away.. he wanted to stay in Thailand so will he have to potentially leave the country and head back in ?

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jackm93 said:

he is going to pay his fine tomorrow where is best to go immigration or the airport?

go to the airport with all the cash and hope you don't get stopped for some other reason before you get there.

if he goes to a immigration office he stands the chance of getting arrested and placed in detention.

getting transfered to BKK from where ever he is arrested can sometimes take a day or two. you don't want that.

i can't answer the rest. sorry.  

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

go to the airport with all the cash and hope you don't get stopped for some other reason before you get there.

if he goes to a immigration office he stands the chance of getting arrested and placed in detention.

getting transfered to BKK from where ever he is arrested can sometimes take a day or two. you don't want that.

i can't answer the rest. sorry.  

Thank you I will tell him to go to the airport with all the money and a flight out but return there as well

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

How can you miscalculate by 19 days something that is stamped clearly in your passport ? 

Who said it was miscalculated? Others have overstayed for years, for various reasons. We don't know why the OP's friend overstayed and it also doesn't really matter (you don't get the fine waived if you have a good reason) - what matters is how it's resolved.

Edited by Caldera
Typo

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Who said it was miscalculated? Others have overstayed for years, for various reasons. We don't know why the OP's friend overstayed and it also doesn't really matter (you don't get the fine waived if you have a good reason) - what matters is how it's resolved.

Thankyou

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jackm93 said:

I read on a thailand travel essentials website that he was able to do it in the embassy but he doesn’t want to go there for them to turn him away.. he wanted to stay in Thailand so will he have to potentially leave the country and head back in ?

Thailand would not have an embassy in Thailand, no countries do. He better behave well to avoid the police then go to the airport and leave after paying the fine. 

• Like 1

If he is looking to return directly he needs to think carefully about where he books his flight to....Laos airlines are refusing people with overstay stamps so while the friendship bridge would have been the easiest to re-enter back to Thailand that is now probably ruled out. Depending on how many visas he has in his passport (and the overstay stamp) should guide him to look towards the right consulate to obtain a SETV and return by land border if possible with 20k in cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandpollo said:

Thailand would not have an embassy in Thailand, no countries do. He better behave well to avoid the police then go to the airport and leave after paying the fine. 

Many Thai Travel Websites are extremely good. By that I mean extremely good at giving you information that is either out-dated and only wrong 99% of the time.

Probably a lot of info on them written by backpackers who were here for 10 days and spent most of those 10 days

p-ssed and stoned.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jackm93 said:

There are two situations.

Most tourists are allowed to extend by 30 days. So if he hasn't extended, then it is better to go immigration and see whether you can get a late extension by paying 1900 baht.

If he has already extended, then you have to pay the fine  of overstaying at the airport. The fine is 500 baht per day.

I read some reports that say you will be banned from entering Thailand for certain periods if you overstay even for 1 day, don't know how true this is.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Jackm93 didn't say "his friend" miscalculated. He said his friend OVERSTAYED by 19 days. Probably met a cutie, or was just too lazy to do things properly. I have seen it many times. Now him maybe gonna pay big time.

At least he will now learn how to read the dates on stamps in his passport.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I'm waiting for the 'my friend went to Imm' to ask about his overstay 2 days ago and I can't seem to contact him now' post.

Overstayers of less than 1 month are not as rare as it seems.

If they locked them up every time, there won't be any jail cells left.

Jail cells are only for those who purposely overstay for a long time. 

I might be wrong but this is seeing the practical side.

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I overstayed for a full month (got the month wrong) and only paid 2000 baht no problem, I think the best way is going to immigration and tell what happened, going to the airport can be misunderstanding specially if "your friend" wants to remain here.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Tyrant said:

I overstayed for a full month (got the month wrong) and only paid 2000 baht no problem, I think the best way is going to immigration and tell what happened, going to the airport can be misunderstanding specially if "your friend" wants to remain here.

May I know how long they extended your visa before you left Thailand?

You're lucky to be fined just 2000 baht when it would have been 500 baht per day.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

May I know how long they extended your visa before you left Thailand?

You're lucky to be fined just 2000 baht when it would have been 500 baht per day.

The post your quoting is a dangerous post and has false advice. All I can think of is poster is confused. Also maybe rounding up the 1900baht for a 30 day extension to visa exempt or setv. He would not have been on overstay.

The OP is on overstay. He has NO permission of stay.

Needs go airport and pay fine and LEAVE.

Can reenter with new visa or VE.

• Like 1