BANGKOK
webfact

After Germany hints at compromise, France tells UK: no new Brexit deal

No wonder German economy is stronger then France....the art of compromise is the secret to success.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bristolboy said:

They revealed an important state secret? Namely, that Boris Johnson is clueless.

As revealed in this interesting article:-

The German Chancellor has played a brilliant joke on Boris Johnson by giving him 30 days to buy some elbow grease.

The British Prime Minister is today eagerly scouring the hardware stores of Europe after being tasked with obtaining some elbow grease in order to avoid a no-deal Brexit.

“I wouldn’t normally treat a fellow Head of State with so little respect,” said Ms Merkel. “But I can’t imagine Boris will be in post very long – he’s basically the work experience lad, isn’t he?

https://newsthump.com/2019/08/22/angela-merkel-pissing-herself-laughing-after-sending-new-boy-boris-on-errand-to-get-some-elbow-grease/?fbclid=IwAR1gr1yMVJljCA0YfLtZv5sLN6S8fYgmqaljoLS0-n4FTcrLORPR0Si_8Ls

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Yes on request from a U.K. side individual .I know that you wish once more pointing it to us E.U. , let me tell you that even the E.U. lawyers where not happy with it , even more some demands in favor of E.U.in case where dismissed , that is why it was unilateral .

Nice try to " influence " but must look up that in the U.K. camp , in  remain or leave camp (?) , not ours 

Whatever are you talking about?

6 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

I feel sorry for the scotch whisky industry and After eight chocolate 😱

And cheddar cheese.. i quess prices for that stuff will go up in the EU 😰

Form 1 Nov onwards: import duty according WTO = "third country origin": see   https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en  

0406 30         Processed cheese, not grated or powdered:    Third country duty (01-07-2000 - ) :  139.10 EUR / 100 kg   

1806 90 50   Sugar confectionery and substitutes therefor made from sugar substitution products, containing coco:  Third country duty into the EU: 38-43%

. So, the end of all exports of British produced confectionary to the EU. 

2208 30         Whiskies  "0% import duty, but alcohol excise

But.. do not worry: first of all the British pound sunk already a 25% ( that's why Lidl NL sells cheddar for a € 7,45/kg just above local Dutch Gouda chesse) , and with some "luck" it will sink a lot further, with that compensating the EU import duty. 

Second:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/dec/10/nestle-close-after-eight-factory .. After Eight for the EU is produced by the Nestle factory in Hamburg already a 30+ years. I audited their York plant around 1980: they still had ONLY leather belts to drive their machinery as in the 20-and 30's on the continent ... not as a museum, but.. all they had... 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Could be. But I doubt it. More like Merkel being sensible and pragmatic and looking for the best outcome for everyone. While Napoleon Macron sees this as an opportunity for hypocritical cheating arrogant France to further it's own agenda to be the EU's "top dog". With the UK out of the EU and potentially not on good terms, Germany has lost it's powerful ally against France and French machinations.

UK and Germany, by and large, play by the rules. France breaks them, cheats them, bends them, interprets them with amazing creativity but above all, always looks after France. The crunch will come when Merkel, her successor, or the German people in general get fed up with Macron trying to Francophile the EU.

But... but... but... the Germans? the world wars? already forgotten?

And the German police guarding the Irish border as one of your lot predicted?

The traitors are amongst us, as yet anothet of you people posted!

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Whatever are you talking about?

E.U. had nothing to do with that , it came on a British request...from which side  ever 

("In record time too. Strange eh?")

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

I completely agree with you. Why some Brexiteers every time have to stirr up WW2 in this discussion ? Is there any French, who coems with the 100 years of British killing in France ? Or the Napoleontic wars the British started again and again against France ? "Cheese eating surrender monkeys"... Disgusting.

I think you need to re read your history books!

Nelson and Wellington stopped Britain becoming a republic.

After Bastille Day the French were trying to convert all countries into republics

Much as people hate the Royals they have helped shape the country into what it is now.

Some good Kings and Queens, a few rotters.

The story of England's history is a fascinating one, both religious & politically.

You should also do a bit of reading about the 100 year war!!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I think you need to re read your history books!

Nelson and Wellington stopped Britain becoming a republic.

After Bastille Day the French were trying to convert all countries into republics

Much as people hate the Royals they have helped shape the country into what it is now.

Some good Kings and Queens, a few rotters.

The story of England's history is a fascinating one, both religious & politically.

You should also do a bit of reading about the 100 year war!!

Yeah I liked Robin Hood the most ...😋

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As Boris didn't knew that before 

https://news.sky.com/story/live-macron-meets-johnson-after-warning-no-deal-brexit-will-be-britains-fault-11791091

Breaking

LIVE: No 'substantially new' Brexit deal in next 30 days, Macron tells Johnson

The latest updates as the prime minister holds talks with the French president in his bid to renegotiate the Brexit deal.

2019-08-22_192806.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/22/brexit-latest-news-macron-boris-warns-boris-johnson-brexit-could-turn-uk-into-vassal-state-of-us-ahead-of-their-meeting-in-paris-live-news

Andrew Sparrow

Politics

Emmanuel Macron tells Boris Johnson backstop is 'indispensable' – live

Rolling coverage of the day’s political developments as they happen, including Boris Johnson’s meeting with the French president Emmanuel Macron in Paris

Macron/Johnson’s statements and Q&A -

Summary

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/aug/22/brexit-latest-news-macron-boris-warns-boris-johnson-brexit-could-turn-uk-into-vassal-state-of-us-ahead-of-their-meeting-in-paris-live-news?page=with:block-5d5e7bc58f081cf11cf1affe#block-5d5e7bc58f081cf11cf1affe

Macron/Johnson Q&A - Snap verdict

Edited by david555

6 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Over 50 percent of deaths in WW2 were Russians, 20 million+

British deaths were comparatively small 

Actually you may have over looked China had according to Wikipedia from 14 to 20 million.  Sometimes we forget it was a truly global crisis.  May it never be repeated.