Trump says he is seriously looking at ending birthright citizenship

webfact

3 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

where will six month pregnant women have to fly to if this happens?, Chinese have been at it for years.

so did that well publicized thai woman a few months ago.  yank that kids citizenship.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Need a constitutional amendment for that. There are valid pro and con arguments on this. It's a basic American value but on the other hand it has been abused alot. I also see this as a political ploy by 45 for 2020. He can't actually do it by order but his base will love yet another divisive fight.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're right there. Trump should take a serious look at the Constitution.

Maybe he should consider halting "chain migration" which is not in Constitution. Set the tone by sending Melania's family back to where they came from

10 minutes ago, Emdog said:

You're right there. Trump should take a serious look at the Constitution.

Maybe he should consider halting "chain migration" which is not in Constitution. Set the tone by sending Melania's family back to where they came from

Wasn't his father a "birthright citizen"?

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

More red meat for the racists and white supremacists in his base.

And another nail in the coffin of his post El Passo speech.

Does your country Belgium, offer automatic citizenship to any child born there if neither parent is Belgian?

The USA has more than 12million undocumented/illegal immigrants.

"Anchor" babies that have birthright then give access to the Mother and extended family to also establish legal residency in the US. 

Removing birthright status from babies of illegal parents seems a logical loophole to close and reduce the border crossings.

Makes sense.

in principle i believe in birthright usa citizenship but do not like all the abuse of it. remember a story about affluent mexicans driving to san diego from tijuana in the benz or bmw to get free medical care and delivery. they'd pretend to not have money.  child is usa citizen 

I can't wait to hear the hand-wringers whine about how bad Trump is when they won't say a word about Thailand.  Try having a Thai citizen here just because two foreigners came here to squeeze one out on the pavement.

19 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I can't wait to hear the hand-wringers whine about how bad Trump is when they won't say a word about Thailand.  Try having a Thai citizen here just because two foreigners came here to squeeze one out on the pavement.

Someone else who believes that Thailand sets the standards by which other countries should be judged.

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

I don't agree with all that trump does but this to me seems perfectly reasonable; not least because of the number of wealthy non US women arriving as  (heavily pregnant & further advanced than admitted if indeed they admitted it at all) 'Tourists' in order to deliberately exploit this loophole.

We have room to agree but you are aware, the wealthy can buy US citizenship? (investment scheme)

1 hour ago, p414 said:

these people in their masses anmd with their mass birth rates destroyed white British unity.

Because there had been no divisions by class amongst white people in Britain? You think because coal miners' skin was dark that they weren't white?

10 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

And he's absolutely right, yet again. Birthright citizenship scheme has been so abused there is no option but to get rid of it. Blame those that abused it, and those that aided them in doing so, rather than Trump who finally applies common sense to a long festering problem.

Agree that this has been abused by some. Nonetheless, "The Donald" once again oversteps. The federal courts will slash him down. A US President cannot change the US Constitution at will. Sooo, in the end this stance will garner support from his base and end up being another example of "all hat, no cattle" as to reality. Much as history will judge his administration.

8 hours ago, samran said:

Fairs fair, if you put up the 14th for debate and reform, then you can surely put up the 2nd for a parallel debate? Time both these antiquated laws be scrapped.

No problem.     Don't like a constitutional amendment just change it.

It only takes a  two thirds majority of the US States to ratify any changes.     It's been done before and properly planned for by the framers of the Constitution.

America has millions of illegal aliens using our safety net and gaming the system.  Liberals defend birthright citizenship, because they see them as future leftist voters.  Shameful indeed. This practice must end.

10 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

America has millions of illegal aliens using our safety net and gaming the system.  Liberals defend birthright citizenship, because they see them as future leftist voters.  Shameful indeed. This practice must end.

Maybe you can single handedly amend the US Constitution.

I don’t particularly like Trump but I don’t hate him either and I definitely don’t agree with all of what he says and does but he has accomplished some really good things and some things that I don’t like. But this one I don’t know about this one, it’s not a baby’s fault where they are born so if anything punish the parents not the kids.

4 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

But he would need to change the very constitution

Imagine Stephen Miller has already told him that he can do anything via Executive Order, and it will take months, years to get to the SCOTUS.

Rule-of-Law is not exactly de-rigeur for this administration. More like "Rule-by-Law".

5 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

I don’t particularly like Trump but I don’t hate him either and I definitely don’t agree with all of what he says and does but he has accomplished some really good things and some things that I don’t like. But this one I don’t know about this one, it’s not a baby’s fault where they are born so if anything punish the parents not the kids.

It's not about the children, or punishment for would-be foreign parents. 

IMO, a country's immigration needs change over time, influenced by economic factors, geo-political issues and even issues stemming from current and future climate change, etc... 

This suggests, quite obviously in my view, that immigration demands, quota if you will, must be managed with flexible polices, not rigid articles of constitution, which serve a country well, but can also paralyze it from acting in its own best interests.   Characterized by needing a cup of water but forced to drink from a firehose, without the ability to adjust pressure, or shut it off, without an act of congress - literally and figuratively.  That's just dumb policy, and no way to run a ship.

Dysfunction breeds ineffeciency and attracts lawlessness and more dysfunction.  Thailand is a close-to-home example of what it looks like when you let things slide for too long, and then decide to reassert control and discipline.  A hard slog, bad press, gnashing of teeth, allegations of racism, and no doubt, some folks in the margins who aren't "bad guys" per se, get jettisoned in the impersonal process. 

Scrub the 14th, get a sensible guest worker policy in place, be shot of the Visa Lottery, for a start, and I reckon a lot of this hopped up SW border drama will sort itself out.

26 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Scrub the 14th, get a sensible guest worker policy in place, be shot of the Visa Lottery, for a start, and I reckon a lot of this hopped up SW border drama will sort itself out.

By "scrub the 14th" do you mean repeal it? Or at least the part pertaining to birthright citizenship?

It's not about the children, or punishment for would-be foreign parents. 

IMO, a country's immigration needs change over time, influenced by economic factors, geo-political issues and even issues stemming from current and future climate change, etc... 

This suggests, quite obviously in my view, that immigration demands, quota if you will, must be managed with flexible polices, not rigid articles of constitution, which serve a country well, but can also paralyze it from acting in its own best interests.   Characterized by needing a cup of water but forced to drink from a firehose, without the ability to adjust pressure, or shut it off, without an act of congress - literally and figuratively.  That's just dumb policy, and no way to run a ship.

Dysfunction breeds ineffeciency and attracts lawlessness and more dysfunction.  Thailand is a close-to-home example of what it looks like when you let things slide for too long, and then decide to reassert control and discipline.  A hard slog, bad press, gnashing of teeth, allegations of racism, and no doubt, some folks in the margins who aren't "bad guys" per se, get jettisoned in the impersonal process. 

And yeah I totally understand why we have to have the immigration rules in the United States but I’m just saying that we shouldn’t go overboard with them. A lot of people complain about immigration here in Thailand but it’s really not that bad or hard to stay here. But I get what you mean and I agree with you to an extent.

Archived