Trump says he will push to close background check loopholes for gun buys

webfact

Trump says he will push to close background check loopholes for gun buys

2019-08-21T160810Z_1_LYNXNPEF7K1DL_RTROPTP_4_APPLE-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to reporters before boarding Air Force One to return to Washington from Morristown Municipal Airport in Morristown, New Jersey U.S. August 18, 2019. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday his administration would seek to close background check loopholes for gun purchases after Democrats accused him of reversing course on gun control measures.

Trump spoke with the leader of the National Rifle Association lobbying group, Wayne LaPierre, on Tuesday, a White House official said. Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said he did not tell LaPierre, whose group strongly opposes increased gun restrictions, that he would avoid pursuing measures on background checks.

Trump, who was endorsed by the NRA in the 2016 presidential race, said he views the number of U.S. gun deaths as a public health emergency and reiterated his belief that people who are mentally ill should not be allowed to buy guns.

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he's dealing with all interested parties on closing loopholes for background checks on gun purchases, but he also thinks it's a mental health issue. Rough Cut (no reporter narration).

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday his administration would seek to close background check loopholes for gun purchases after Democrats accused him of reversing course on gun control measures.

Trump spoke with the leader of the National Rifle Association lobbying group, Wayne LaPierre, on Tuesday, a White House official said. Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said he did not tell LaPierre, whose group strongly opposes increased gun restrictions, that he would avoid pursuing measures on background checks.

Trump, who was endorsed by the NRA in the 2016 presidential race, said he views the number of U.S. gun deaths as a public health emergency and reiterated his belief that people who are mentally ill should not be allowed to buy guns.

"We're working on background checks. There are things we can do. But we already have very serious background checks. We have strong background checks. We can close up the gaps. We can do things that are very good and things that frankly gun owners want to have done," Trump said.

"We have background checks but there are loopholes in the background checks. And that's what I spoke to the NRA about yesterday. They want to get rid of the loopholes as well as I do. At the same time, I don't want to take away people's Second Amendment rights," Trump added later.

On Tuesday, Trump, a Republican, said his administration was engaged in meaningful talks with Democrats, who control the U.S. House of Representatives, about gun legislation after gunmen in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, killed 31 people using semi-automatic rifles and high-volume magazines earlier this month.

"We're working on background checks. There are things we can do. But we already have very serious background checks. We have strong background checks. We can close up the gaps. We can do things that are very good and things that frankly gun owners want to have done," Trump said.

"We have background checks but there are loopholes in the background checks. And that's what I spoke to the NRA about yesterday. They want to get rid of the loopholes as well as I do. At the same time, I don't want to take away people's Second Amendment rights," Trump added later.

On Tuesday, Trump, a Republican, said his administration was engaged in meaningful talks with Democrats, who control the U.S. House of Representatives, about gun legislation after gunmen in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, killed 31 people using semi-automatic rifles and high-volume magazines earlier this month.

Congressional aides, however, said the discussions have been low-level and generally unproductive.

(Reporting by Jeff Mason; Writing by Makini Brice; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Paul Simao)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-08-22

18 minutes ago, Longcut said:

President Trump could come up with some of the best gun control measures ever and the Democrats in Congress would oppose it. Just because he is Trump.

Except that the NRA is going to ensure that he is not going to come up with any gun control measures. Calling gun crime a mental health issue is missing the point.

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Why not just issue every man, women, child, dog and cat a gun, then they will all be equally safe!

And equally dangerous and the incidence of shooting will be even higher, then all America is dead, then trump can sell America to Denmark.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

What about gun shows?

What about gun shows?

What about gun shows?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Gun shows and private sales is definitely an area that should be looked at. Maybe also a task force to try to reduce the amount of illegal guns in inner-city areas.

5 hours ago, Longcut said:

President Trump could come up with some of the best gun control measures ever and the Democrats in Congress would oppose it. Just because he is Trump.

There is a joke that if Trump said oxygen was great, Lefties would hold their breath. ???? Worth a try at least.

Trump: Hello.

LaPierre: Donald, it's Wayne.

Trump:  Hello Wayne, and darn glad...

LaPierre: Cut the crp.  I thought we settled this.

Trump:  But Wayne....

LaPierre: Don't "but Wayne" me you little douchebag.  I call the shots, capeesh?

Trump:  Yes Sir Mr. Lapierre.

LaPierre:  No new gun laws or I'll send my dogs after you.  And you should know, they're your base.  They're vicious.

Trump: No Mr. LaPierre, don't do that.  I hear you.

LaPierre: Ok Donald.  Now go say hi to the Mrs. for me.

Trump: Yes Sir Mr.....click

Archived