Trump calls Danish PM's rebuff of Greenland idea 'nasty' as trip cancellation stuns Danes

webfact

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, martinhp said:

But Donald duck is good for many things but the obvious lack of commen sense and knowledge is not two of them

He's a showman. Something like this Greenland thing is mainly teasing and for entertainment. Shows ironic sense of humour and people like that. This sort of thing will get him re-elected and he knows it.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

"I thought that the prime minister's statement ... was nasty. I thought it was an inappropriate statement. All she had to do is say: 'No, we wouldn’t be interested,'" Trump told reporters at the White House on Wednesday. "She's not talking to me. She's talking to the United States of America. You don’t talk to the United States that way, at least under me."

what a bs!

so it was USA asking such a stupid thing from Denmark?

then USA gets a response for such a stupid request.

2 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

Take away the Trump-bashing and there is barely any intellectual content in this thread at all.

Here are some things for you think about:

Have you seen the size of Greenland on the map? Have you seen the size of Denmark?

Have you been to Denmark? The whole place is like Norfolk. No cultural or geological connection to Greenland at all. Do the Danish have the know-how to oversee glacier or tundra management?

Greenland came under Danish control as a kind of historical accident at at time when Greenland was nothing and nobody was interested. It was mainly a kind of caretaker arrangement.

The world has changed and given climate change, fishing rights, resource exploitation etc, Greenland is now much more important in world geopolitics.

Do we know what the Greenlander's attitude is to Danish governance? The population is Inuit, not even European. Most communities are on the western (Canadian) side, totally remote from Denmark.

Why should it be Danish? Let the Greenlanders have a referendum at least. Canada could put themselves in the ring too.

Edit: Norfolk is too interesting. I should have said Lincolnshire.

your argument is basically flawed and speaks more as to why not, than why to, as the United States under the trump, has demonstrated a complete disdain for any policies that protect the environment, and is not fit to be the guardian of anything

further, that the American system isn't robust enough to check an autocratic potus, should horrify citizens of a true democracy.

and then there is the rest, which is completely inaccurate, given that what information is available, clearly indicates that Greenlanders are happy to be governed by Denmark.

why any citizen off a fully democratic state, at the top of most benchmarked lists, would want to trade that to be a citizen of a flawed democracy, with significant societal problems and no where near worlds best of anything by any metric, is beyond me... or rather, why others think they would, is beyond me

oh look! A foot! Shoot it shoot it!

7 hours ago, Atens4 said:

sorry but DT is acting arrogantly as he always does.Greenland is not for sale , the deal breaker and his absurd ideas

It's simple enough.  Donald Trump is insane.  Anyone trying to defend the morons actions have serious reality problems.

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

For those saying Denmark would not sell their territory, Virgin Islands comes to mind.

The original negotiations for that sale began in the mid 19th entry, which was a period dominated by colonial expansion, followed by war, and as such, the sale of that territory is hardly comparable.

also noteworthy is that the sale of the islands was for A/ money... and B/ a guarantee that the US would not interfere in Denmark’s policies and plans in Greenland.

next up... for those that think that Denmark’s should withdraw from the 1951 treaty and thereby reclaim the US air base, returning it to sovereigns rule.... lol... ????

11 minutes ago, jany123 said:

your argument is basically flawed and speaks more as to why not, than why to, as the United States under the trump, has demonstrated a complete disdain for any policies that protect the environment, and is not fit to be the guardian of anything

further, that the American system isn't robust enough to check an autocratic potus, should horrify citizens of a true democracy.

and then there is the rest, which is completely inaccurate, given that what information is available, clearly indicates that Greenlanders are happy to be governed by Denmark.

why any citizen off a fully democratic state, at the top of most benchmarked lists, would want to trade that to be a citizen of a flawed democracy, with significant societal problems and no where near worlds best of anything by any metric, is beyond me... or rather, why others think they would, is beyond me

oh look! A foot! Shoot it shoot it!

I wasn't arguing that Greenland should be part of the US, only questioning whether Greenland should be part of Denmark (which, ever since I first saw a map of the world I thought was ludicrous) and proposing that the Greenlanders should decide. Canada makes more sense. Are you saying Greenlanders don't have the moral or practical right to choose if they receive an attractive enough 'offer'?

As to whether Greenlanders are happy with Denmark - Greenland has the highest level of suicides in the world. Obviously they are not happy about something.

There are certain lines you cross with your behavior that essentially revoke your right to use certain terminology when describing others. In this case, Trump does not have the right to label others as nasty, nor does he have to right to claim that others have to show America great respect "on his watch". He has shown great disrespect to nearly every one of our allies, and has shown nothing but admiration for the despots of the world. One cannot take a man like that seriously, regardless of his position. Respect has to earned, and never should be freely given. Trump does not deserve respect. He invites scorn. 

He just does not get any of that. A bit too simple minded to comprehend those finer nuances. 

14 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

It's simple enough.  Donald Trump is insane.

Or a genius:

• Makes bold swoop to expand territory that never occurred to anyone before.
  • Shows he has balls and big ideas.
  • Shows he doesn't care about PC <deleted>.
  • Gets plenty of media attention.
  • Provides entertainment.
  • Gets a rise out of all his opponents (such as nearly everyone on this thread - hilarious)
  • Has nothing to lose in dealing with piddling PC Denmark.
  • Will gets re-elected.

19 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I wasn't arguing that Greenland should be part of the US, only questioning whether Greenland should be part of Denmark (which, ever since I first saw a map of the world I thought was ludicrous) and proposing that the Greenlanders should decide. Canada makes more sense. Are you saying Greenlanders don't have the moral or practical right to choose if they receive an attractive enough 'offer'?

As to whether Greenlanders are happy with Denmark - Greenland has the highest level of suicides in the world. Obviously they are not happy about something.

Interesting.... when you first saw a map and saw that Australia, a continent on the opposite side of the world to Britain (you know... as far away as is possible vs just over there), was a commonwealth country, what did you think?

and no, I don’t think Greenlanders lack any rights, but rather acknowledge that they do have these rights and choose to remain a danish territory.... so... are you saying that they don’t already have the right to self determination?

and... are you truly linking the suicide rate in Greenland to its relationship to Denmark, which ranks fairly low on the list of western countries.?

3 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

Take away the Trump-bashing and there is barely any intellectual content in this thread at all.

Here are some things for you think about:

Have you seen the size of Greenland on the map? Have you seen the size of Denmark?

Have you been to Denmark? The whole place is like Norfolk. No cultural or geological connection to Greenland at all. Do the Danish have the know-how to oversee glacier or tundra management?

Greenland came under Danish control as a kind of historical accident at at time when Greenland was nothing and nobody was interested. It was mainly a kind of caretaker arrangement.

The world has changed and given climate change, fishing rights, resource exploitation etc, Greenland is now much more important in world geopolitics.

Do we know what the Greenlander's attitude is to Danish governance? The population is Inuit, not even European. Most communities are on the western (Canadian) side, totally remote from Denmark.

Why should it be Danish? Let the Greenlanders have a referendum at least. Canada could put themselves in the ring too.

Edit: Norfolk is too interesting. I should have said Lincolnshire.

Greenland looks so big due to the difficulty of projecting a globe onto a flat image.

Here's a download showing a realistic scale on the flawed projection.

images (5).jpeg

2 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Interesting.... when you first saw a map and saw that Australia, a continent on the opposite side of the world to Britain (you know... as far away as is possible vs just over there), was a commonwealth country, what did you think?

and no, I don’t think Greenlanders lack any rights, but rather acknowledge that they do have these rights and choose to remain a danish territory.... so... are you saying that they don’t already have the right to self determination?

and... are you truly linking the suicide rate in Greenland to its relationship to Denmark, which ranks fairly low on the list of western countries.?

Australia = independent nation with the wherewithal to do what it pleases. Not sure if equating Britain and its former empire with Denmark and Greenland is instructive.

I haven't heard anyone from Greenland speaking up on this issue. Do they have anyone? I somehow doubt that they have the right to break away and sell themselves to the highest bidder - interesting question, and it's really what I'm mooting in this discussion.

Causal link of suicides to Danish governance? - who knows? It certainly points to a sense of hopelessness and lack of opportunity. In any case, something is rotten in the state of Greenland which better governance could surely alleviate.

12 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Or a genius:

• Makes bold swoop to expand territory that never occurred to anyone before.
  • Shows he has balls and big ideas.
  • Shows he doesn't care about PC <deleted>.
  • Gets plenty of media attention.
  • Provides entertainment.
  • Gets a rise out of all his opponents (such as nearly everyone on this thread - hilarious)
  • Has nothing to lose in dealing with piddling PC Denmark.
  • Will gets re-elected.

???????????? Great list.... as is right... let’s start with point one.

mmmm... Denmark saw US territorial ambitions developing towards Greenland 100 plus years ago.... so I suppose point 1 is wrong

point 2...given this is based on the incorrect assertion in point 1.... wrong... it shows his marbles are chipped beyond effective use.

point 3... shows he is incredibly arrogant and disrespectful

Points 4,5,6&7.... demonstrates why he is unfit for the office of President

point 8.... mmm... I’m relying on the hope that Americans as a whole, aren’t really that indifferent. Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me.

7 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Everything is for sale. It's just a question of price. 

That is exactly what Leonidas and his 300 said to the Persians. "everything is for sale. let's talk price"

It is written on a stone at Thermopylae. "Molon Lave"  which translates to "Come and take them"

(the Greek B is pronounced V  so Leonidas did not say Labe , he said Lave" written in English )

The words "ÎÎÎΩΠÎÎÎÎ" as they are inscribed on the marble of the 1955 Leonidas Monument at Thermopylae.  Molon labe (Greek: μολὼν λαβέ molá¹n labé; Ancient Greek: [molÉËn labé]; Modern Greek: [moËlon laËve]), lit. "come and take", is a classical expression of defiance reportedly spoken by King Leonidas I in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae. It is an exemplary use of a laconic phrase.

Except integrity, the moment a person sells his integrity , that person has affectively committed suicide and is now a zombie.Which is exactly what those who trump support have done.

Do you suppose zombies know they are zombies?   

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Oh no! A former NATO SG and Danish PM has further described Trump's stream of consciousness twittering as "hopeless."

We now await the US's move to DEFCON 3.

Never mind he'll ask his little fat buddy buddy in NK to support him and hold his hand. 

8 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Australia = independent nation with the wherewithal to do what it pleases. Not sure if equating Britain and its former empire with Denmark and Greenland is instructive.

I haven't heard anyone from Greenland speaking up on this issue. Do they have anyone? I somehow doubt that they have the right to break away and sell themselves to the highest bidder - interesting question, and it's really what I'm mooting in this discussion.

Causal link of suicides to Danish governance? - who knows? It certainly points to a sense of hopelessness and lack of opportunity. In any case, something is rotten in the state of Greenland which better governance could surely alleviate.

So... when you said that you based your opinion on looking at the map, you were essentially trying to sell us on bs, as your now tossing in political systems.

if you haven't heard anyone from Greenland speak up, then you haven't been listening.... or reading the assorted links already provided by other posters

if you think autonomously governed Greenland, elected by Greenlanders, is bad... then I guess I need to refer you back to the question you posed of me earlier..... ie... are you saying Greenlanders don’t have the moral or practical right to choose?

An excerpt from a wonderful article has been removed as it was in violation of fair use policy:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Off topic posts and the off topic replies have been removed. 

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Trump calls Danish PM's rebuff of Greenland idea 'nasty'

Why Trump keeps calling women 'nasty'

"misogyny involves punishing women who don't act the way men want them to. This is exactly what Trump does, and he does it publicly."

http://lite.cnn.io/en/article/h_f755f506f8e710b849d8d3defb6516ef

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Another dane high on hygge....that's not how you publicly address a close ally and a good friend.

Unless you're Trump. Don't recall you ever having much issues with Trump publicly addressing allies and "good friends" in such a manner and worse.

The most entertaining aspect of these comments by the great bloviator is watching his supporters twist themselves into knots defending the ludicrous tweets...Alaska, USVI, Manhattan for $24, USVI, blah-blah-blah. It's like they're Doocy/Kilmeade wannabees, only to be left looking foolish the next day when trump says "he was joking" and moves on to "renting the moon" out to Russia.

I can see Pence off to the side with the pillow.

#chosenone

9 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Everything is for sale. It's just a question of price. 

Greenland has more than 50,000 people, who by all accounts are quite content as they are. Are they for sale? If you have children, or a spouse or partner, are those people for sale? How about you? NO, not everything is for sale. One of Trump's (countless) essential flaws, and that of many of his sycophants, is an absolute lack of any moral compass whatsoever.

Archived