Trump calls Danish PM's rebuff of Greenland idea 'nasty' as trip cancellation stuns Danes

webfact

20 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The Inuit are not Westerners. The US would be better able to develop Greenland than tiny Denmark can. The Greenlanders are already in despair (see suicide statistics) and should at least appreciate the option for change.

Why on earth would you think ANYONE in Greenland or Denmark want it developed. 

Why would you think that would be a good thing?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

If you mean Solvang, that was founded by Danish immigrants who chose to be part of America rather than Denmark, which rather undermines your point.

Of course he doesn't mean Solvang. Tell me, did you sleep your way through entire years of history classes?

30 minutes ago, newnative said:

Been out of the country for awhile but pretty sure there are still just 50 states.  

Correct, but on some lists DC and Puerto Rico are included as 'other jurisdictions'.

49 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The Inuit are not Westerners. The US would be better able to develop Greenland than tiny Denmark can. The Greenlanders are already in despair (see suicide statistics) and should at least appreciate the option for change.

Since when does the United States Government develop anything? This kind of work is done by international corporations with deep deep pockets. 

22 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Since when does the United States Government develop anything? This kind of work is done by international corporations with deep deep pockets. 

Hilarious. You're so anti-Trump that you are now having to deny infrastructure investment takes place in the US or (like Sujo above) actually argue against it.

This is about what Greenlanders might want. I'm betting that they are miserable as hell about their lives. How fast is their internet connection?

Joining the US is technically possible - Danish law can be tweaked in the name of progress - so why argue against it?

TheDTwitter:
not Great Danes, not good NATO Partners, US pays too much. I tell them give up Greenland, Iceland and East Germany, they refuse to help solve southern border immigration problem that was not caused by us.

????

12 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Hilarious. You're so anti-Trump that you are now having to deny infrastructure investment takes place in the US or (like Sujo above) actually argue against it.

This is about what Greenlanders might want. I'm betting that they are miserable as hell about their lives. How fast is their internet connection?

Joining the US is technically possible - Danish law can be tweaked in the name of progress - so why argue against it?

Really? Did the US invest in the infrastructure that makes Alaskan oil available? That was a huge privately funded effort. Basically all the US did was give the oil companies permission to go ahead and create the roads and other infrastructure. And Greenland is mostly covered by glaciers. Which are now subject to rapid melting. Not even feasible to build roads there. And where it is, private capital is up to the job. 

As for the Internet:

No matter where you live in Greenland, you can now get a 4G signal

https://www.arctictoday.com/no-matter-live-greenland-can-now-get-4g-signal/

Indigenous populations typically are quite unhappy with their lot when they experience Westernization.  This is a worldwide phenomenon. Which quite emphatically includes the USA. I really can't see Greenlanders wanting to join a nation that could elect Donald Trump. 

21 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Damn straight....that was my takeout too....wasnt the refusal, was the way these rude Danes put it....they thought

it would be cool to sound like NYT or MSNBC ....obviously backfired.  

But the US government never made the offer so how could they be upset.

It was Trump himself who made the offer without, as usual, consulting anybody in the US government. That he got upset and threw his toys out of the pram is tough bovine excretia.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.jpg

21 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

He's a showman. Something like this Greenland thing is mainly teasing and for entertainment. Shows ironic sense of humour and people like that. This sort of thing will get him re-elected and he knows it.

Not at all.

He is a natural born village idiot who has been out of his depth for years. Sadly for the USA and the world they are stuck with him.

If he gets re-elected the US will have only itself to blame.

20 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

Or a genius:

• Makes bold swoop to expand territory that never occurred to anyone before.
  • Shows he has balls and big ideas.
  • Shows he doesn't care about PC <deleted>.
  • Gets plenty of media attention.
  • Provides entertainment.
  • Gets a rise out of all his opponents (such as nearly everyone on this thread - hilarious)
  • Has nothing to lose in dealing with piddling PC Denmark.
  • Will gets re-elected.

you r taking the p1ss really, aren't you?

7 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Really? Did the US invest in the infrastructure that makes Alaskan oil available? That was a huge privately funded effort. Basically all the US did was give the oil companies permission to go ahead and create the roads and other infrastructure. And Greenland is mostly covered by glaciers. Which are now subject to rapid melting. Not even feasible to build roads there. And where it is, private capital is up to the job. 

As for the Internet:

No matter where you live in Greenland, you can now get a 4G signal

https://www.arctictoday.com/no-matter-live-greenland-can-now-get-4g-signal/

Indigenous populations typically are quite unhappy with their lot when they experience Westernization.  This is a worldwide phenomenon. Which quite emphatically includes the USA. I really can't see Greenlanders wanting to join a nation that could elect Donald Trump. 

Nice of you to tell Greenland what is good enough for them, simply on account of your partisan politics.

And rather naive (and patronising) to assume that indigenous people are all living in a blissful state of nature.

I'm sure westernisation doesn't always sit well with them, but you can't deny them the right to take part in it either.

I say, let them have a vote.

44 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Nice of you to tell Greenland what is good enough for them, simply on account of your partisan politics.

And rather naive (and patronising) to assume that indigenous people are all living in a blissful state of nature.

I'm sure westernisation doesn't always sit well with them, but you can't deny them the right to take part in it either.

So I understand you are suggesting Greenlanders could choose to vote on turning into a U.S colony once they've taken back their independance from the Danes - The U.S would not even have to make an offer, but just let the door open to "Indegenous people" to choose their new masters for the 21st Century?     

I think the Danes were trying to humiliate Trump by inviting him.

They were setting up some protests during his visit.

At the same time Obama was also going to be around and there would be standing ovations staged.

Another Dem rigged publicity stunt and a MSM headline bashing trump has been averted.

18 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

I don't read everything - I apologise for all my shortcomings - but I meant I hadn't heard anything from the Greenland 'leadership' - assuming they have a leader. Today I've read the BBC - nothing there today.

I'm the one asking the question whether Greenlanders have the moral or physical right to choose (why turn the question back at me? - I don't know, that's why I asked you - it wasn't rhetorical, I was actually looking for an answer). If they have, then they may well want to listen to Trump's offer - and why shouldn't they? If not, then we have to ask what kind of 'autonomy' does Greenland have, which is an interesting academic question.

Go to the BBC World news, in the search box type Trump and Greenland and you will get these 4 results.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07l7dmf

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49422832

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49373880/trump-and-greenland-other-times-the-us-bought-territory

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07l643l

I did a Google search for Trump and Greenland and got this answer.

About 350,000,000 results (0.50 seconds).

So simple and easy to do and I am not interested in that topic.

17 hours ago, alan grice said:

Denmark, isn’t that the Neutral Nation who was so Neutral during WW2 it fed the Germans , when Norway had The balls to fight.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Have you ever heard of a Norwegian called Vidkun Abraham Lauritz Jonsson Quisling?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quisling

28 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

As I've noted before, and you seem to have forgotten, Denmark has given these people the right to secede from Denmark any time they like. And once that's done, they can vote to be acquired by any nation they like or stay independent. 

As for condescension, you're the person who would deny them the right to be independent. Remember your nonsense about getting the World Court to intercede to prevent that? 

And you might want to read what I've written again. It was in response to your comment about them being miserable as hell. This is invariably the result when indigenous people start getting Westernized. I'm not opposing westernization which is inevitable. Just pointing out the consequences. How are Native Americans faring in the USA?

But aren't you pleased to learn that Greenlanders do have access to high speed internet?

22 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I think the Danes were trying to humiliate Trump by inviting him.

They were setting up some protests during his visit.

At the same time Obama was also going to be around and there would be standing ovations staged.

Another Dem rigged publicity stunt and a MSM headline bashing trump has been averted.

"Trump Invited Himself to Denmark Before Canceling Trip, Danes Say"

. Although it is customary in Denmark for there to be a standing invitation for the U.S. president—and though officials in both countries had been discussing the possibility of an American delegation visiting—no formal invitation had actually been extended to Trump, according to two senior Danish officials and an individual who works closely with the Trump administration in Copenhagen.

1 hour ago, JamesBlond said:

To cut down the level of suicides?

You're not Amish by any chance?

You may want to reference how that worked out for australian aborigines.

the point is, the people of greenland can decide what they want, and they have. So who are you to argue they are wrong.

Some have seen what developing has done to their people and simply dont want it.

No idea what Trump was thinking when he decided to make public this idea.  In reality Greennland would be a great buy if they sold it lol but it makes America look like they want a colony.  Very bad public relations move. 

Trump does claim now that he is "The Chosen One." I don't know if that means he thinks he is the King of the Jews, the Son of God, or the man sent to singlehandedly destroy the US economy through debt and a stock bubble. I guess it also could mean the One Chosen to buy Greenland. 

4 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

If you mean Solvang, that was founded by Danish immigrants who chose to be part of America rather than Denmark, which rather undermines your point.

555.... if one accepts another of your erroneous assertions, then maybe the point would be undermined... but as it is an erroneous assertion, the point is not undermined. 

11 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Trump does claim now that he is "The Chosen One." I don't know if that means he thinks he is the King of the Jews, the Son of God, or the man sent to singlehandedly destroy the US economy through debt and a stock bubble. I guess it also could mean the One Chosen to buy Greenland. 

I think he meant The Chosen Yuan.

34 minutes ago, losworld said:

No idea what Trump was thinking when he decided to make public this idea.  In reality Greennland would be a great buy if they sold it lol but it makes America look like they want a colony.  Very bad public relations move. 

These things require diplomacy.If indeed Denmark was to make accommodations with the Americans concerning  Greenland, back channel inquiries, negotiations a set of principles would first need to be set,before any public  announcement are made.

trump is not the only one with political considerations and it does not help to paint your opponent in to a corner

If any deal about Greenland was ever possible (a big if) it is not possible now.  

42 minutes ago, losworld said:

No idea what Trump was thinking when he decided to make public this idea. 

I think he did it to get out of the visit...as they planned to set him up by scheduling 

Obama in the same month. Was a attempt to create the narrative that all over the world Trump is hated while 

the has been Obama is still loved because he gives good speeches.

4 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

Why on earth would the USA be better able to develop Greenland?

the North Sea oil sector is the preeminent example in the petroleum industry, indicating that resources development would be better under danish control than US control.

however, substitute “exploit” for “develop”, and you might be closer to the truth... but exploitation doesn’t necessarily help the local population as can be seen from the exploitation of South American countries by the USA in the not so distant past.... which is now coming home to roost, in the form of the southern border crisis.

until the USA proactively address environmental issues, American predatory business operators should be excluded from operating in any delicate environments

now... see suicide statistics... really? Ok... please google suicides amongst Inuits in Canada for a comparison on suicide figures, to give yourself a better appreciation for suicides amongst aboriginal communities.

and... yet again, as has been demonstrated to you directly, on this thread, Greenlanders do have the opportunity for change, if they so desire.

I've just had a sudden flash of consciousness! Trump wants to get his grubby little paws on Greenland because - that is where Father Christmas lives!

Once he controls that, the the world is his!

Dr Strangelove, eat your heart out - you have been trumped!

Archived