BANGKOK

This is doing my head in.  Can anyone please tell me which procedure to adopt under the following circumstances -

I live in a house in Pattaya owned by my wife.  I am going to the UK for 3 weeks in Oct/Nov and my wife will be going to her village up country, where we (she) also have a house.  When I re-enter Thailand, I am heading straight to the house in Pattaya for two or three days before going up to the village and stay there for a week and then return to Pattaya with my wife.

I will of course put the Pattaya address on the TM6, but do I immediately report my return to Thailand at Pattaya Immigration with a TM28 completed by myself, or do I present a TM30 with copies of the required docs (and power of attorney if necessary) completed and post dated by my wife prior to her going up country, or do I give them both a TM28 and TM30?   

Just to make it more complicated, do I take a TM28 and or TM30 to the local police station nearest to the wife's village for my weeks "out of Province" stay and then report again to Pattaya immigration in a week's time?  I'm tempted to forget this scenario as Immigration will be none the wiser of my trip to the village as there will be no hotel stay to link me to. 

Any advice much appreciated.

Posted (edited)

OP, which immigration office will you be visiting in the future for 90 day/extension. if its jomtien, they dont ask or check if a TM30 has been done.

If you really want to comply, do a TM30 for the office you will be visiting. If no plans to visit up-country immigration, no need to do a TM30 there.

Pattaya will have no idea you went to another place for a week (no report filed) then came back.

Forget about TM28, its not enfourced, asked for, required.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Can anyone please tell me which procedure to adopt

When you re-enter Thailand, you have to go and do your TM30 at your local immigration, usually within 24 hours.

I wouldn't worry about the village, as you said, no one knows and your not staying in a hotel, that said, their law says you must report to them every time you return from another province that you have stayed at for more than 24 hours, so that call is yours, worst case scenario, you get fined if they somehow fined out, "up to you" as they say.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

The TM28 is used only if you change your permanent residence. If you were to sell your condo in Pattaya and move into another condo then you would file a TM28. Otherwise you are supposed to file a TM30 each time you stay overnight at a new location. Whether or not TM30 is required for travel within Thailand depends on your local Immigration office. Travel to a house in the country is something no one is going to know about unless you have some interaction with the police.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks folks.

I thought that the best option would be to report with TM30, filled in by the wife before I leave LoS, at my usual reporting office in Soi 5 Jomtien on my return and forget registering my trip up country.  As a backstop if I do get stopped and questioned as to my movements, I will now always have a completed undated TM30 in the car so if I'm stopped going to or returning from the village, I can say "Oh yes officer, of course I will report as soon as I get there".  Hopefully the adage that bull**** baffles brains is global and might see me through. 

Edited by phetchy
apologies for indecorous language

When you arrive at the house in Pattaya your wife has to submit a TM30 for you within 24 hours

Technically the owner / housemaster / possessor of the house in the village would have to report you there with a TM30, and when you go back to Pattaya your wife has to report you again with a TM30

As others suggested, just don't do the report in the village (they will probably not do it anyway), nobody will care and then you don't have to do a new one when you are in Pattaya

TM28 is not enforced, even though i saw a post by somebody who claimed he was fined for a missing TM28, but maybe he just mixed this up with the TM30, because it seems a bit odd that he is so far the only person who i've heard of.

19 minutes ago, phetchy said:

I will now always have a completed undated TM30 in the car so if I'm stopped going to or returning from the village, I can say "Oh yes officer, of course I will report as soon as I get there".  Hopefully the adage that bull**** baffles brains is global and might see me through. 

A regular police officer won't know about TM30 and also won't care.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When you arrive at the house in Pattaya your wife has to submit a TM30 for you within 24 hours

Technically the owner / housemaster / possessor of the house in the village would have to report you there with a TM30, and when you go back to Pattaya your wife has to report you again with a TM30

As others suggested, just don't do the report in the village (they will probably not do it anyway), nobody will care and then you don't have to do a new one when you are in Pattaya

TM28 is not enforced, even though i saw a post by somebody who claimed he was fined for a missing TM28, but maybe he just mixed this up with the TM30, because it seems a bit odd that he is so far the only person who i've heard of.

A regular police officer won't know about TM30 and also won't care.

I was going to be fined for not doing a TM28 at Jomtien 3 years ago, 3500 baht but after ‘detaining’ me upstairs for nearly 3 hours and also going too the ATM for the money they let me off.

I do a TM28 as requested by Jomtien every time I come back to Thailand from the U.K. even though I return too the same address.

The owner lives in Germany so has no idea of my comings and goings so I cover my backside by doing a TM28.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I do a TM28 as requested by Jomtien every time I come back to Thailand from the U.K. even though I return too the same address.

The owner lives in Germany so has no idea of my comings and goings so I cover my backside by doing a TM28.

30 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Hence my dilemna. To TM28 or to TM30 - that is the question.  If I submit a TM30 on my wife's behalf, she will be 350Kms away (and I will) for the next week if anything is queried.. 

52 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Hence my dilemna. To TM28 or to TM30 - that is the question.  If I submit a TM30 on my wife's behalf, she will be 350Kms away (and I will) for the next week if anything is queried.. 

You could do what I do a TM28, if your wife never goes near Immigration it’s not a problem.

Mm just thought it might not be possible as you would need a rental agreement of course you can buy a rental agreement book and complete it yourself signed by your wife.

I bought one from the Stationary shop next to Harbor Mall as my owner lives in Germany, her sister filled it in.

I did a TM28 the other day, copy of rental agreement, TM28 form, copy of passport photograph page, copy passport page showing arrival date and copy of TM6 arrival card.

It was checked at reception and the bottom part returned to me, I stapled it in my passport myself.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I did a 90 day border bounce on Tuesday, took a TM-28 with copy of passport, copy of TM6, entry stamp copy, copy of Non-O visa, TM-30, signed copy of my wife's ID card and the appropriate copy of her house blue book page to Pathum Thani immigration yesterday. IO said thank you and gave me a signed receipt. I live with my wife. No rental agreement is required. The wife did not attend and there were no questions.  Waited in line for 10 minutes (at the most).

If you don't stay in a motel/hotel there is no need to contact the out of town immigration.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

You could do what I do a TM28, if your wife never goes near Immigration it’s not a problem.

Mm just thought it might not be possible as you would need a rental agreement of course you can buy a rental agreement book and complete it yourself signed by your wife.

I bought one from the Stationary shop next to Harbor Mall as my owner lives in Germany, her sister filled it in.

I did a TM28 the other day, copy of rental agreement, TM28 form, copy of passport photograph page, copy passport page showing arrival date and copy of TM6 arrival card.

It was checked at reception and the bottom part returned to me, I stapled it in my passport myself.

Hua Hin are asking for a copy of blue book and owners ID when doing a TM28, when I asked why they changed the requirement because they not ask for them before the IO said anybody could make a rental agreement so it seems they are onto this scam 

31 minutes ago, offset said:

Hua Hin are asking for a copy of blue book and owners ID when doing a TM28, when I asked why they changed the requirement because they not ask for them before the IO said anybody could make a rental agreement so it seems they are onto this scam 

I have a genuine Rental Agreement albeit I supplied the Rental Book.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, offset said:

Then do your TM28 at the local police station, probably they have no idea what it is and will accept it without any further documentation and you are good to go.

Edited by jackdd
  • Haha 1