BKK bank debit card 6 digit PIN number and foreign travel

BKK bank has changed it's debit card company from visa to MasterCard the new card uses a 6 digit pin, the old Visa card was 4.  This presents a problem as pretty much ALL Mexican aims use 4 digits.  The I asked about this at my local BKK branch I got that familiar blank smile and .."it is good worldwide" end of discussion. anyone have experience' advice on this matter?

I traveled to Cambodia with a card like that about a year ago.

Over there, in Phnom Penh, it seems maybe every 2nd ATM accepted them.

The good news for you and others is that this just requires a software update on the ATM machines, no hardware update. So it is relative simple to implement. But I have no information on actual numbers in any country. 

When I received my6 pin card from Kasikorn , I contacted my European bank (not U.K.) to ask if the ATM accepted 4 or 6 pin , the answer was that any ATM from Europe system recognize if it is a 4 or 6 pin , so no problem ,

Second question  was from me about which limit is accepted, te Thai bank one or the European one ? Answer was not sure ,as it depend or from ATM machine , or from E.U. Bank, or from the Atos or ATM system provider ….

46 minutes ago, david555 said:

When I received my6 pin card from Kasikorn , I contacted my European bank (not U.K.) to ask if the ATM accepted 4 or 6 pin , the answer was that any ATM from Europe system recognize if it is a 4 or 6 pin , so no problem ,

Second question  was from me about which limit is accepted, te Thai bank one or the European one ? Answer was not sure ,as it depend or from ATM machine , or from E.U. Bank, or from the Atos or ATM system provider ….

yes have heard same for Europe... Mexico is a bit behind ... 

5 hours ago, daoyai said:

yes have heard same for Europe... Mexico is a bit behind ... 

But from Mexico you can cross through the open border to the US where 6 digit ATMs are widely available, generally right next to a weed vending machine, which also accepts debit cards... 

I can confirm that BKK bank ATM cards with 6 digit pin work well in the UK, and Western Europe.
Easy peezy - just like the old 4 digit pin card.

Krungthai deposit account cards also - just enter the full 6 digit pin.

When renewing my card in Bangkok Bank they gave me a Union Pay card with 6 digit. This is in Khon Kaen and card-machine in shops in Khon Kaen did not accept the card. I went to the bank and insisted on a Visa card, which they have, but not use. I was lucky to get this card, but other have problem to get Visa card. Union Pay is, after what i have been told, a chinese company. So this is probable part of China takeover Thailand.

Been discussed many times, EU countries including the UK, all ATM's require a 4 digit number. 6 digit numbers do not work.
Well the six digit pin on my Kasikorn debit card worked fine at ATM’s and pos terminal’s in the UK, Netherlands, France, Italy and Turkey this year and last.

I went to Vietnam and the ATMs there would only give me a max of a thousand baht a day in dong.....it wouldn't pay for much of anything with four of us. Make sure they increase your minimum before you go. Some ATMs would give me nothing and others sometimes multiples of a thousand but charged you for each individual thousand. Bloody annoying and frustrating.

I can confirm that ATMs in the USA accept the 6 digit pin from my SCB card. Wells Fargo banks allowed $1000 withdrawal per day, US Bank allowed $2000 per day. Dont forget to change your daily withdrawal limit at BKK Bank first.

16 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

Been discussed many times, EU countries including the UK, all ATM's require a 4 digit number. 6 digit numbers do not work.

nonsense! 2017 and last year Germany, France and Switzerland no problems with Siam Commercial 6-digit debit card.

13 hours ago, Ganoga said:

I can confirm that ATMs in the USA accept the 6 digit pin from my SCB card. Wells Fargo banks allowed $1000 withdrawal per day, US Bank allowed $2000 per day. Dont forget to change your daily withdrawal limit at BKK Bank first.

German and Swiss ATMs 2,000, French 1,000 Dollars value. my Singapore debit card claims USD 4,000/day (with 2 withdrawals). have yet to check.

18 hours ago, Geir Rasch said:

When renewing my card in Bangkok Bank they gave me a Union Pay card with 6 digit. This is in Khon Kaen and card-machine in shops in Khon Kaen did not accept the card. I went to the bank and insisted on a Visa card, which they have, but not use. I was lucky to get this card, but other have problem to get Visa card. Union Pay is, after what i have been told, a chinese company. So this is probable part of China takeover Thailand.

Yes indeed, but not only Thailand. Union Pay, a huge Chinese banking conglomerate, wants to take over the world by offering banks special commission/discount in favor of Visa and Mastercard.

Not only Thailand but other countries worldwide. Union Pay is a Chinese banking conglomerate that offers banks better debit card/credit card commission rates than Visa and Mastercard.

When Bangkok Bank started using Union Pay it stopped issuing Visa cards (unless Visa has been re-introduced recently) but now has Mastercard which it does use and which is available if you request it.  Best to get both.

"So this is probable part of China takeover Thailand".

It's no more probable China taking over Thailand because it has Union Pay than the US taking over Thailand with Visa and Mastercard years ago.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, Brunolem said:

But from Mexico you can cross through the open border to the US where 6 digit ATMs are widely available, generally right next to a weed vending machine, which also accepts debit cards... 

I thought they were building a wall just for ATMs ????

Archived