Informal Thai words

EricTh

Sorry chaps, I mistyped หุนหัน! Robot did not occur to me because หุ่นหัน from Hope dictionary in Longdo produced haste. 

ยิ่งโกรธาหุนหันมันไส้ 

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Yes when my wife says 'mansay' she says it in a friendly manner, but I thought the sentence introductry words may have hardened it a bit. I don't really understand 'turning puppet' that's why i equated it to robot.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

One problem with dictionaries is that examples are supposed to be familiar which they are not if the dictionary is not in your language so I am not surprised that I can’t parse : Great anger hastily dislike. 

40 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I don't know about your language schools, but there are words which are used for written and somethimes another word for the spoken language. And with your example of สุนัข (Sunak) I mostly hear in our school the word หมา (ma) for dog.

I think what schools normally not teach are slang words! The schools try to teach proper words

That is the only way to teach because if the meaning of a word can not be researched who can say what it means? 

If you look up สุนัข in the RID you find หมา and it says (มักใช้เป็นทางการ- mostly used in formal context) .   If you want to know what หมา means you must look that up.  

If one lives in the provinces (if you are บ้านนอก!) dialect is often heard and misinterpreted as “what normal people say” which perhaps distorts our perception of formal and informal words. 

Central Thai is taught in schools and will serve everywhere with people who have attended school. 

5 hours ago, HampiK said:

I don't know about your language schools, but there are words which are used for written and somethimes another word for the spoken language. And with your example of สุนัข (Sunak) I mostly hear in our school the word หมา (ma) for dog.

I think what schools normally not teach are slang words! The schools try to teach proper words

My school never teach 'Ma' but only 'Sunak' so most students who don't research outside the class won't know the informal word.

All our examples use 'Khun'. LOL.

Which school did you go to?

49 minutes ago, EricTh said:

My school never teach 'Ma' but only 'Sunak' so most students who don't research outside the class won't know the informal word.

All our examples use 'Khun'. LOL.

Which school did you go to?

I use LX (Language Express) at Ploenchit Bangkok. But I guess it's not that much which school, more which Teacher you have!

And as in the advanced level there are only a few students the Teacher also teach informal words.

But I think this is similar with most languages, as you first have to learn the official words. The special words you will then learn from talkings with the people from the country.

The informal words are not  special words. 

On the contrary,  they are the normal usage. 

Formal words are used at special occasions,  like sermons (been there done that),  wedding ceremonies (been there done that), at a bank teller or as a TV presenter (i never had the opportunity to speak on TV).

As for the question how to say "to break a promise"

ผิดสัญญ is not very formal,  not as formal as สุนัข

But if you have ever had an Isan girlfriend you will realize that in this situation she will usually say โกหก.

Sorry

19 hours ago, EricTh said:

Sorry but what is RID?

พจนานุกรมฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน is Royal Institute Dictionary, It is the official Thai language dictionary, every government organisation should be using it. Your school in not teaching หมา would appear to be doing the wrong thing.  

Edit: Better still you will find a better description in Wikipedia. 

Edit: I have just tried the online version of RID and there is an example given for official use of สุนัข which my out of date hard copy does not give.

สุนัขตำรวจ 

8 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Sorry

พจนานุกรมฉบับราชบัณฑิตยสถาน is Royal Institute Dictionary, It is the official Thai language dictionary, every government organisation should be using it. Your school in not teaching หมา would appear to be doing the wrong thing.  

Edit: Better still you will find a better description in Wikipedia. 

Edit: I have just tried the online version of RID and there is an example given for official use of สุนัข which my out of date hard copy does not give.

สุนัขตำรวจ 

Thank you, Tgeezer. Here is a web page: https://www.sanook.com/news/tag/สุนัขตำรวจ/

Thanks David, I don’t read ordinary stories often, it is gratifying to see that compared with official publications they are easy to understand. Imagine if someone who didn’t speak English saw K9 popped into the text after สุนัขตำรวจ what they would understand by it. It must be almost as frustrating for them as standard Thai is to me sometimes. What about คู่หู from the first story, Partner, Partners. 

Archived