BANGKOK
webfact

New traffic law: Just taking a picture of your licence and showing on your phone is not enough

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1. Your regular license just like before.

2. An electronic version or digital license via the application of the Department of Land Transport QR Licence.

3. A certified copy in accordance with DLT forms

so the app is on your phone? and you hand your unlocked phone to a so called Thai policeman. And he is not going to start looking through your phone just like they search your car or scooter? and of course the so called policeman will just keep your phone to extort whatever cash he wants.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I assume it will be similar to the UK system where you get 3 points for being a bit over the speed limit, 6 points for being a lot over the speed limit and so on.

So in theory, a couple of offences could be enough for a 90 day suspension. Unless of course, they are kind enough to accept paying the fine directly to the policeman who stops you. They tend to be very considerate like that.

No, no

3 points = 500 THB

6 points = 1,000 THB etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Does anyone have any detailed info about the above option?

e.g. 'forms' - does that mean a paper form that neds to be filled in and then possibly stamped by the DLT?

Is there a cost, can you request numerous certified copies?

Thinking exactly the same .. Paper forms like that are open to forgery .. And how would roadside plod determine if it's gen' or fake .. And what happens if its genuine but they claim fake .. Will traffic officer then require some financial inducement to be on you're way .. Hmmm lot of unanswered with this .. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jumbo said:

Really? I have never seen anyone pass the customs or pass the check in with a non-paper/plastic passport or ID

Boarding pass.... do it all the time. Only my passport comes out once for immigration. I don’t even use it for checking in. Photos of everything, online check-in, and QR codes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

2. An electronic version or digital license via the application of the Department of Land Transport QR Licence.

The police already said this would not be accepted. That news was here a few months ago.

• Like 1