Don Mueang Airport: 20 more immigration counters to open this week

webfact

Don Mueang Airport: 20 more immigration counters to open this week

2pm.jpg

Daily News reported that PM Prayut Chan-Ocha had ordered his transport minister to go to Don Mueang to see what was wrong with crowding at immigration both inbound and outbound. 

Saksayam Chidchob found that the airport couldn't cope with the overcrowding and has ordered immediate measures to overcome the problem. 

However, no mention was made of the problems experienced by travelers at Bangkok's main airport, Suvarnabhumi.

Saksayam said that the the Visa on Arrival section will be moved so that it does not interfere with other counters. This section is very busy now because of the waiver for Chinese and Indians in particular that has been extended to the end of April next year. 

At the moment the airport can cope with 1,600 outbound passengers an hour yet the average is 2,000.

Inbound can cope with 1,700 but there are 2,024 per hour. 

With the tourist high season looming in October he ordered immediate measures at the airport to be undertaken by the airport authority. 

Inbound the number of counters will be increased by 12 from 39 to 51. 

Outbound it will be increased by 8 from 36 to 44. 

He also ordered the Airport Authority of Thailand to report to ministers every month about the situation - something that Daily News called "homework" in their story.

Saksayam added that the Immigration Bureau have the manpower and the counters in place. They were clearly not being manned in sufficient numbers to cope with the traffic. 

In addition check-in is being extended from three hours to four. 

The story concentrated solely on Bangkok's second largest airport Don Mueang - no mention was made of Suvarnabhumi where social media posts have told of long queues in recent weeks. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-22

Why does it take the PM to get this moving? They already knew of the problem and the numbers -

At the moment the airport can cope with 1,600 outbound passengers an hour yet the average is 2,000.”

Why did they not address it once the numbers were known? (Yes, I know the answer.)

I live in the Netherlands and I'm from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. I travel often, leaving both airports often and both of these airports supposedly have a lot more traffic than airports in Bangkok, yet they have less stations at the AMS and ATL and IAD airports and I never have long waits at those airports for immigration. I just don't understand this reoccurring problem and how the authorities always think that the amount of booths will matter. Personally, I think there is another, better solution, though I'm not sure what that is since I'm not on the opposite end at any of the aforementioned airports. I'm very curious

"Saksayam added that the Immigration Bureau have the manpower and the counters in place. They were clearly not being manned in sufficient numbers to cope with the traffic."

Exactly. That could and really should have been fixed a long time ago.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Saksayam added that the Immigration Bureau have the manpower and the counters in place. They were clearly not being manned in sufficient numbers to cope with the traffic.

Which everyone except the airport seems to understand !

Archived