Thai Airways bans 2015 - 2017 Macbook Pros - both carry on and checked luggage

webfact

Thai Airways bans 2015 - 2017 Macbook Pros - both carry on and checked luggage

3pm.jpg

Thai Airways has responded to a directive from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and banned certain Apple Macbook Pro computers from its flights. 

Following a recall and concern regarding the overheating of lithium batteries all 15 inch Macbook Pros produced between September 2015 and February 2017 are subject to the ban.

Flight lieutenant Prathana Pattanasiri, vice president of THAI's aviation safety department, said this applied both to carry on and checked luggage. 

He asked for the public's cooperation in helping to ensure airline safety. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-22

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KhaoTan said:

The recall is supposed to be only for 15" MacBooks of those years.  I have the 12" and will be <deleted> if I can't take it on a flight. Article about the recall including link to see if your serial number is affected

Even if its not affected good luck in explaining to Thai airways check in!

How are they planning to enforce this ban? I assume they will ask each passenger on check-in if they carry a Macbook Pro with them? If I say no and I do have one in my carry on how are they supposed to know about that? I find it hard to believe that they will ask each and every passenger during check-in to show them their Laptop....

And even if they do, how do they know it is not a 2018 or 2019 Model, given that they look exactly the same? And does anybody at THAI actually read the Directive in which it actually says that only Macbook Pro's with certain Serial Numbers and which had their batteries not replaced yet are banned? (Assuming of course that the above reporting is correct in which it says that ALL 2015-2017 Models would be banned....) 

Questions over questions.......

13 minutes ago, TomnearCentral said:

How are they planning to enforce this ban? I assume they will ask each passenger on check-in if they carry a Macbook Pro with them? If I say no and I do have one in my carry on how are they supposed to know about that? I find it hard to believe that they will ask each and every passenger during check-in to show them their Laptop....

And even if they do, how do they know it is not a 2018 or 2019 Model, given that they look exactly the same? And does anybody at THAI actually read the Directive in which it actually says that only Macbook Pro's with certain Serial Numbers and which had their batteries not replaced yet are banned? (Assuming of course that the above reporting is correct in which it says that ALL 2015-2017 Models would be banned....) 

Questions over questions.......

They should see on x-ray of checked in bags prior to check in at DMK. And when you get your carry on x-rayed.

Don't think SVB has the same system though.

That may get interesting.
I own a MB Pro 13" from 2016......
Just think about the highly skilled and professional staff at those security checkpoints.....
Can they tell a 13" MBP from a 15" MBP? Don't think so.
"Its an Apple notebook, you can not bring it onboard a plane!"

11 minutes ago, Peterbilt said:

That may get interesting.
I own a MB Pro 13" from 2016......
Just think about the highly skilled and professional staff at those security checkpoints.....
Can they tell a 13" MBP from a 15" MBP? Don't think so.
"Its an Apple notebook, you can not bring it onboard a plane!"

Note to self: pack a ruler in my hand luggage!

But what about those who are already overseas and want to fly back with their Macbooks? Change airline? Leave the battery wherever they are?

44 minutes ago, bitterbatter said:

Why is Tai Airways the Only Airline to do this if it soooo dangerous?  If you know anything about batteries, they only get hot and dangerous if using and charging.  I would be a lot more concerned with smart phones and cheap chargers!

It's not. Actually they are a few weeks late with this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-08-13/u-s-regulator-bans-recalled-apple-laptops-from-flights

Got 2018 15”

like lots here point out ‘ how they gunna be able to recognise problem models at checkin, and make decision to let macs of any sort or age through ... not gunna happen!

this edict really cements I won’t ever be flying Thai

down the drain they go ...

Archived