Thai Airways bans 2015 - 2017 Macbook Pros - both carry on and checked luggage

webfact

5 hours ago, KhaoTan said:

The recall is supposed to be only for 15" MacBooks of those years.  I have the 12" and will be <deleted> if I can't take it on a flight. Article about the recall including link to see if your serial number is affected

You can expect airline check-in staff and gate staff to over interpret the directive and try to exclude anything that says Apple.   When there was the ban on Powerbanks of over 30,000 mAh, Check-in and security staff pretty much blocked everything that even looked like a power bank.  Same with the ban of the Samsung Galaxy Note-7....gate and security staff tried to stop anything with Samsung on it.

If you're going to try to bring your 12" Macbook, I'd make sure to have a copy of the directive with me as well.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

How are they planning to enforce this ban? I assume they will ask each passenger on check-in if they carry a Macbook Pro with them? If I say no and I do have one in my carry on how are they supposed to know about that? I find it hard to believe that they will ask each and every passenger during check-in to show them their Laptop....

And even if they do, how do they know it is not a 2018 or 2019 Model, given that they look exactly the same? And does anybody at THAI actually read the Directive in which it actually says that only Macbook Pro's with certain Serial Numbers and which had their batteries not replaced yet are banned? (Assuming of course that the above reporting is correct in which it says that ALL 2015-2017 Models would be banned....) 

Questions over questions.......

In the US every time I went through TSA you had to take your computer out of the case and put it in a separate basket

7 hours ago, TomnearCentral said:

I find it hard to believe that they will ask each and every passenger during check-in to show them their Laptop....

They have done for years. You have to remove it from your hand luggage. Except, sometimes in Thailand on domestic they don't bother. Of course.

This is only about CYA for Thai Airways... If there is an incident onboard involving a 15" Mac Book Pro Thai Airways have the ban in place. 

Its impossible to implement but it diverts some blame and responsibility from themselves in the event of an incident. 

Not really much more to see here... its the same as Airlines Banning the Samsung Galaxy Note - did any airline actually check anyones phones? all they did was have an announcement on the flight, that was it. 

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

They should see on x-ray of checked in bags prior to check in at DMK. And when you get your carry on x-rayed.

Don't think SVB has the same system though.

@ragpicker

When you get to check in at DMK they x-ray your large cases prior to getting to the check in desk and your carry on is x-rayed before you get to the duty free area.

8 hours ago, the guest said:

So it will be a sweeping ban on all mac laptops, I doubt Airlines will have the time to go thru every pc.

Many airports, Heathrow, Beijing etc this will be down to the security staff, so even if you get it out of Swampy it might not be coming back with you. My model is not affected and I don't see a problem in getting it on board with me in Frankfurt next week: it's chances of returning with me from Lagos would be absolutely zero????.

Only around 5% of Macbooks are 15" Macbook Pros. The simple reason why airport staff will not extend this to all Macbooks is that the entire airport would grind to a halt. 15" Macbooks are distinctive - there are times when a mere two inches makes all the difference.

In June, Apple sent out emails to all affected customers urging them to bring their MBP's in for a free battery replacement, worth around 8,000 baht and a nice boost for any out-of-warranty laptop. With a fresh battery they are allowed on planes as normal, a verification sticker with the replacement date is placed on the underside. 

The process takes one day and you can do in in any country you happen to be in. Apple are extremely good in these situations. If you are caught out and do not have time to get it done before you are due to leave the country, I would expect Apple to courier it to you in your next country, on their dime.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They have done for years. You have to remove it from your hand luggage. Except, sometimes in Thailand on domestic they don't bother. Of course.

Thai Airways is asking you for this or the Security Staff that is employed by AOT (don't answer, I know who does it....) and I do not think they they really care if you fly Thai or not.....again, it would be easy to enforce if it is a ban for all airlines, but if it is "only" Thai?? 

10 hours ago, daoyai said:

...or choose a different airline

I doubt it will be TG only.

Maybe you can try your luck in central Africa.

Thai Airways has responded to a directive from the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA)

#RECALL ALERT: The #FAA reminds passengers that recalled #batteries do not fly.

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

With two money grabbing overpriced company's at the centre of this story I'm glad I don't use either of them and choose to ban both of them???? 

Same naive conception of airline security.

The article headline "Thai Airways bans..." adds to this.

Of course this is NOT a decision of TG alone.

EASA and FAA together will ground you :biggrin:

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can the battery still overheat if it is taken out of the laptop?

Good question,I've got iPad and if it's anything like this you can't just flip the battery out.

the other thing is ive had to bin a battery power pack in Phuket airport and they do this by the capacity of the battery.i suspect they will want you to take the battery out and bin it.

Boy, what a cynical lot you are. Why would it be so difficult to separate out a specific laptop year and brand from the thousands of other laptops they have to see every day going through the carry-on line or in checked baggage? I'll have you know that they've implemented full biometrics at immigration and there was no delay at....oh. Never mind.

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can the battery still overheat if it is taken out of the laptop?

Obviously not an Apple user since the battery is not easily removed from a MacPro. MacPro battery is not designed to be removed by anyone except an Apple shop.

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

Obviously not an Apple user since the battery is not easily removed from a MacPro. MacPro battery is not designed to be removed by anyone except an Apple shop.

Well spotted. No I am Lenovo laptop fan, and can take it on ANY airline I want to.   LOL

18 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Got 2018 15”

like lots here point out ‘ how they gunna be able to recognise problem models at checkin, and make decision to let macs of any sort or age through ... not gunna happen!

this edict really cements I won’t ever be flying Thai

down the drain they go ...

So you are saying Thai shouldn't respond to an EASA and FAA safety directive?  And obviously you're not going to be flying on any other airlines that have followed the same directive?

20 hours ago, quadperfect said:

The good news is for a failing aging airline to begin with. They have just removed 50 percent of future passengers. So the silver lining to the thai airways dilema is they can blame mac users.

So 50% of people own a 15 inch Mac Book Pro that was manufactured between 2015 and 2017?  Wow, I never knew.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So 50% of people own a 15 inch Mac Book Pro that was manufactured between 2015 and 2017?  Wow, I never knew.

Its not only like you think. Im an apple mac guy and although I dont have one in that year range I will not take a chance with such BS by flying an airline that imposes such rules. They will lose more customers for sure IMHO

40 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

Its not only like you think. Im an apple mac guy and although I dont have one in that year range I will not take a chance with such BS by flying an airline that imposes such rules. They will lose more customers for sure IMHO

I disagree.  And like it said there are many airlines that have imposed the same rule.

Anyway, I flew out of Bangkok to Singapore on Wednesday.  I am flying back tomorrow on TG with my 2017 Mac Book Pro (but 13 inch).  I will let you know what BS I experience.

21 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I disagree.  And like it said there are many airlines that have imposed the same rule.

Anyway, I flew out of Bangkok to Singapore on Wednesday.  I am flying back tomorrow on TG with my 2017 Mac Book Pro (but 13 inch).  I will let you know what BS I experience.

I have checked in and nobody asked anything about laptops whatsoever.  

Much ado about nothing, in typical TV fashion.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:54 PM, davidst01 said:

well shortly you won't be flying at all other airlines have banned them as well only allowed as carry on

I seriously doubt there would be a battery issue on the suspect models, if the units were turned off. So, the reasonable thing to do would be to insist that they be turned off. Is Thai the only airline in the world with this rule? Seems a bit hasty and bizarre to me. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:41 AM, TomnearCentral said:

How are they planning to enforce this ban? I assume they will ask each passenger on check-in if they carry a Macbook Pro with them?

I had two macbooks in my hand carry luggage (mine and wife's) and the security person checked both and explained that certain macbooks are not allowed on board. That was in Ho Chi Minh.

Archived