"Biometrics" caught Chinese man who went to extend his business visa

webfact

"Biometrics" caught Chinese man who went to extend his business visa

4pm.jpg

Thai Caption: Div 2 of Region 1 immigration

Naew Na reported that Thailand's immigration police used the PIBICS and Biometric systems to reveal that a Chinese man renewing his business visa was in fact someone else. 

The man admitted that he had changed his name and got a new passport. He was trying to extend his Non-B (Business) visa. 

It was found that he was both on a regular immigration blacklist and a Ministry of the Interior blacklist. 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-22

Difficult to believe biometrics caught him since they have only just been installed and used on a semi-regular basis. Being that biometrics is only used at the airports currently and he was caught at the immigration office. .

They keep posting their catches and claiming it is due to this new biometrics they have when in reality they are catching these guys using simple observations and actually doing their job checking for real. 

5 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Difficult to believe biometrics caught him since they have only just been installed and used on a semi-regular basis. Being that biometrics is only used at the airports currently and he was caught at the immigration office. .

They keep posting their catches and claiming it is due to this new biometrics they have when in reality they are catching these guys using simple observations and actually doing their job checking for real. 

Not hard to believe at all. Prior to the introduction of biometrics at airports, blacklisted persons, convicted criminals, imprisoned and deported persons were all enrolled in the police's AFIS system. This system was then merged with the currently rolled out biometric system used by immigration. Interlinking these national systems (perhaps even with Interpol's I-24/7 database) can lead to impressive results such as the one reported on this news article.

51 minutes ago, kylep said:

Not hard to believe at all. Prior to the introduction of biometrics at airports, blacklisted persons, convicted criminals, imprisoned and deported persons were all enrolled in the police's AFIS system. This system was then merged with the currently rolled out biometric system used by immigration. Interlinking these national systems (perhaps even with Interpol's I-24/7 database) can lead to impressive results such as the one reported on this news article.

Quite. Very similar to the way Immigration in UK are linked into the PNC.

It seems that a lot of people have never encountered an exception report, hence the 'did he file a TM30?' comments. If he didn't he'll show on a report that says he didn't at the press of a button and instantly attracting suspicion. Border jumpers apart, they know exactly who is in the country, if they're entitled to be there and if they have reported their address.

It's called Big Data and despite all the withering sarcasm, Thailand is catching up.

Wonder how much future tourism they lost from all the complaints of hours spent in line at Suvarnabhumi airport?

Which is also using BM/fingerprinting to weed out the few

Hopefully it is getting better/more efficient at the airports

2 hours ago, La Migra said:

.....and Bravo to them!

Perhaps. But this article says he was caught renewing a visa. In a new passport. Since immigration doesn't have biometric readers installed at their offices (as far as I know). How could biometrics have been used to catch this guy? 

4 hours ago, wisperone said:

I thought it was a graduation ceremony.  Looks like he is holding his diploma with proud family standing by.

I know what a looser. If i ever found myself on the wrong side of the machine i would be giving them a picture of my rear end and thats it.

13 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

But 'bai yoo metalic' sounds so futuristic and smart. ????

Archived