Wheres the best place in Asia / Thailand similar to this ?

georgegeorgia

I would like to live in a area similar to the Scottish Highlands or Tasmania , Australia.

cool weather sometimes , sometimes drizzly/ rainy , lakes nearby, plenty of greenery.

As this forum is not just Thai centric anymore, anywhere in Asia similar 

Mae hong Son ? 

Edited by georgegeorgia

I have never been but have read about it...........

Khao Kho is a district of Phetchabun province, which is about 392km north of Bangkok.
It's a mountainous region with cool weather all year round and called the “Little Switzerland of Thailand”
for its gorgeous highlands scenery and its ”sea cloud' which are a beautiful sight to see

http://www.jensenchuaphotography.com.sg/khao-kho-northern-thailands-hidden-gem-in-the-highlands/

https://www.unscrambled.sg/2017/05/28/there-is-a-little-switzerland-in-thailand-that-you-need-to-check-out/

I’ve visited Khao Kho a couple of times and it is a beautiful area, plenty of marvellous scenery.
Just the multi Buddha statue at Khaem Son is worthy of a visit.

IMG_6521.JPG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd say your best bet would be two places.

Mae Hong Son is fabulous for 8 months a year but one of the worst places in Thailand during the February-May burning season so how about heading to the Himalayas in India during this period? February/March will be brutal but so is the Scottish highlands during height of winter so guess you can handle the cold.

Khao Kho is superb for a visit but to live? Only you can say but maybe if you split here with Loei it might work spending the 'winter' season up north.

7 hours ago, mania said:

a beautiful area indeed. but that's where the proverbial village Nakhon Nowhere is located. one thousand miles to the next Foodland, Makro, Tesco or Friendship, 48 hours waiting time for an emergency team when you have a heart attack.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Naam said:

a beautiful area indeed. but that's where the proverbial village Nakhon Nowhere is located. one thousand miles to the next Foodland, Makro, Tesco or Friendship, 48 hours waiting time for an emergency team when you have a heart attack.

If considering Khao kor, it is not far from Lomsak (the highway between the two was recently upgraded) at 36 mins Tesco Lomsak to Blue Sky resort and only 56 mins to Tesco Lotus Phetchabun.

Khao Kor will also be pretty hot during hot season.

The area northeast of Hanoi (Sapa, Lao Cai and more east along the Chinese border) is beautiful and also close to what you are describing / looking for.

Only downside this is absolute no man's land. No proper store or city nearby, not to mention health care. Lao Cai is an overnight trip by car or train to Hanoi. Probably the situation at the Chinese counterpart border city could be better but you'll need to figure out your visa for this.
I'm adding a few pictures

On 8/22/2019 at 11:34 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

http://www.jensenchuaphotography.com.sg/khao-kho-northern-thailands-hidden-gem-in-the-highlands/

https://www.unscrambled.sg/2017/05/28/there-is-a-little-switzerland-in-thailand-that-you-need-to-check-out/

I’ve visited Khao Kho a couple of times and it is a beautiful area, plenty of marvellous scenery.
Just the multi Buddha statue at Khaem Son is worthy of a visit.

IMG_6521.JPG

My Thai GF grew up outside of Phetchabun and I've been to this temple. It is marvelous.

As far as weather, Phetchabun gets pretty damn hot in late spring early summer. It has a considerable amount of rain as well but has been very dry this year. The mountains themselves may be different.

That said, it's a fool's game to talk about the weather anywhere these days except in a historical sense.

Things are changing all over the globe, so good today can be miserable next year or the year after.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2019 at 6:43 PM, Naam said:

You obviously do not live here. Nothing like you describe so why the BS.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Darkside Gray said:

Da Lat

Yeah, good suggestion. About 45 min flight from daigon but I think there are direct flights from swampy too.

I was there for three weeks. Amazed to find little to no aircon in resorts, or heaters either. Neither are needed. Hot? Open windows. Cold? Close windows!

$600 /month for studio apartment. 2-3 hour drive from there to beach city of Na Trang. Friendly people, good food, nice lake but no swimming.

Flower festival every two years and university campus with their very own nuclear reactor used for making medical isotopes. Originally settled BT French because weather so much like France I'm told.

Too many catholic churches for my taste though.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 8/22/2019 at 7:56 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Baguio

Ultra quiet to the extreme but maybe that's what the OP seeks.

I'll say this for sure.   It is the one and only outside place anywhere in SEA where I felt just a little bit chilly.    The ladies with me were freezing.

Edited by watcharacters

34 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Ultra quiet to the extreme but maybe that's what the OP seeks.

I'll say this for sure.   It is the one and only outside place anywhere in SEA where I felt just a little bit chilly.    The ladies with me were freezing.

Excuse me but Baguio its a very busy town on a mountain top.

Yes its cool climate barely needs an aircon running.

place is crowded with local tourists from Manila and has several universities.

On 8/24/2019 at 3:35 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Excuse me but Baguio its a very busy town on a mountain top.

Yes its cool climate barely needs an aircon running.

place is crowded with local tourists from Manila and has several universities.

I agree it has much of the usual congestion found in many PI cities.     I didn't find it appealing in terms of things/activities to do.

I admit my statement was prejudiced in as much as I overall didn't care so much for Baguio.

To each his own.