Couple next door have opened a factory. What can I do?

morning yall,

I live in a rented house in rawai, part of a moo bahn complex. Not really had any complaints up until about a month ago. The couple next door have decided to transform their house into a factory/distribution centre. All day long there are cars and vans coming and going, parking outside my house etc. They sometimes work late into the night and I can hear them moving boxes around. They have about 6/7 staff working for them all day. They just park their cars wherever they want and dont seem to care about any residents.

I have tried to complain to the juristic but they seem unwilling to help.

What can I do about this? is this legal? It's really starting to annoy me now. I don't really want to move as I am happy where I am and why should I move anyway???

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your description it sounds like they are having some success in their business. Hopefully that will require that they move to a larger space elsewhere. Either that, or you move to a more serene space elsewhere. There are absolutely zero zoning requirements in Thailand, and even if there were they would be ignored.

go to Tesco Lotus, they have those cheap but very loud karaoke amplifiers. plug your phone into. Just when they go to sleep for the night, blast   "Flight of the Valkyries" at full volume. or maybe for you, "Start Me Up" by the Stones.

You are really in a no win situation.  Even if you were able to get authorities to either modify their operating times or close them down, you will likely incur their wrath and they can easily make your life miserable in many ways after that.

As another mentioned, you are fortunate to be renting which gives you options.  Either live with it and in as non-confrontational a way as possible, see if you can negotiate at least some concessions regarding parking and working hours or just move along.  You really have no leverage to force any changes unless you can get your landlord to take up the case.

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

go to Tesco Lotus, they have those cheap but very loud karaoke amplifiers. plug your phone into. Just when they go to sleep for the night, blast   "Flight of the Valkyries" at full volume. or maybe for you, "Start Me Up" by the Stones.

some sound advice right there!

how much are those amps btw?

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Op should be able to get the parking issues sorted, presuming they are parking illegally now.

But the business itself, no. They basically can do whatever they like.

without any regard for people living in the local vicinity?

Absolutely disgusting.

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

As another mentioned, you are fortunate to be renting which gives you options.  Either live with it and in as non-confrontational a way as possible, see if you can negotiate at least some concessions regarding parking and working hours or just move along.  You really have no leverage to force any changes unless you can get your landlord to take up the case.

As dddave has said, it's lucky that you're renting, so you can move if you want to, even though it may be a bit of a pain.

This happened to a couple of friends here, where one was completely built out and overshadowed by a large hotel complex going up too close to his lovely detached house and swimming pool, however he was not going to be put off by local connections and pressure, so after trying two local lawyers who didn't really want to take the case, he got one down from Bangkok to fight the case for him (he was a wealthy man) and he won and the hotel owner had to pay around 20 million baht to buy his house from him.

Same happened to a guy nearby and that case is still ongoing although I have heard that a settlement of around 17 million baht is in the offing.

Of course they owned their houses and could do nothing about it as regards moving, and for me, that has always been one of the downsides of buying here.

Perhaps, as another poster has said, the business will grow and they will have to move elsewhere, but then again........

Good luck with whatever happens.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As dddave has said, it's lucky that you're renting, so you can move if you want to, even though it may be a bit of a pain.

This happened to a couple of friends here, where one was completely built out and overshadowed by a large hotel complex going up too close to his lovely detached house and swimming pool, however he was not going to be put off by local connections and pressure, so after trying two local lawyers who didn't really want to take the case, he got one down from Bangkok to fight the case for him (he was a wealthy man) and he won and the hotel owner had to pay around 20 million baht to buy his house from him.

Same happened to a guy nearby and that case is still ongoing although I have heard that a settlement of around 17 million baht is in the offing.

Of course they owned their houses and could do nothing about it as regards moving, and for me, that has always been one of the downsides of buying here.

Perhaps, as another poster has said, the business will grow and they will have to move elsewhere, but then again........

Good luck with whatever happens.

Thanks. 

I'm hoping to get this resolved somehow soon. I dont really want to move but if I have to I suppose I will.

Maybe somewhere in Karon/kata perhaps. 

I've seen people having a business in such moo baans before, but i would not rule out that some moo baans might have a rule saying that it's only for residential purposes. So you should do some research if your moo baan has such a rule.

If you should discover that such a rule exists you might want to ask your landlord for help. If he doesn't look willing to help, then tell him that you have to move out if the situation doesn't improve, this might change his attitude.

If such a rule does not exist you will have little chance. There is probably some law which prohibits them from making noise in the night, but even if they don't break this law, they can legally make noise from early morning to late evening. The people who park their cars wrong are the ones acting wrong, that's not the wrong doing of the business itself, so it will be nearly impossible to enforce.

Sadly, I reckon your landlord will have no interest in this case because..

- He doesn't live there

- Thais don't get annoyed by noise, rubbish & parking like we do

- If you move out, he may be able rent your house to this flourishing little cottage industry

2 minutes ago, 2long said:

Thais don't get annoyed by noise, rubbish & parking like we do

Except the ones who shoot  their neighbours  dead  which has  happened a few  times, Id  suggest it  "appears"  they dont mind because reality of local  police actually  doing something is almost zero when a  complaint is  sent out.

As has been said you are so lucky that you can move.

Sadly I cannot.

The <deleted> opposite has turned his front yard into a workshop.

Non stop grinding, cutting, banging.

The other residence (Thai) could not care less. "up to him what he does"

Likewise the phuyai baan cold not give a toss.

I spend most of the day with earplugs and or noise cancelling headphones.

Welcome to paradise.

Just think yourself lucky that you can move.

Then again there is the do nothing option, which usually means you don't have to put up with being run out of town. The idea is that you let wealthier and more influential locals do all the work. It takes time, but has been known to work; even when the business next door thinks its uniformed sponsorship is all the legal protection it needs

Archived