Couple next door have opened a factory. What can I do?

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Better still play recordings of ghosts, people moaning, chains rattling etc.  Thais are frightened of spirits and will think they are disturbing the dead.  I am dead serious (only half joking)!

I got my hammer drill out last night. Was drilling for a good 45 minutes or so.

Hope they heard it loud and clear. Drilling commenced at 11pm.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same thing happen to me. One of my neighbors opened a bottled water distribution facility in a home. I do not even know if they lived there. At midnight, huge trucks would come and unload, and there would be alot of noise and commotion all day. A real nuisance. This is a very quiet subdivision. 

I started by coming by when the trucks were unloading, and taking alot of flash pictures, to make myself known. Also took photos of the pallets of water stacked up in front of the house. It got alot of attention from them. I then reported this to my landlord, who was also alarmed, about the value of her home going down, if this trend continued. We all know about the copycat mentality here. She contacted some people within the local government, and so did my wife. The police got involved. Some officials came out. I continued taking photos, and ignored them when they asked what I was doing. 

I think my landlord contacted their landlord, and told her there were alot of disgruntled neighbors, and that if she did not do something, she was in for a world of hurt. It worked. She kicked them out. Or they left. Thankfully. Finally got rid of them. It took a couple of months, but it was worth the fight. I have noticed here, that things happen when you apply enough heat. The right kind of heat. Yes, I hear stories. But, I do not live in a state of fear, so that was not an issue for me. Nobody else in the area has attempted this level of foolishness ever since that happened. Nipped it in the bud!

Same problem as OP.

We bought a house on plan in an all new subdivision in Ubon.

Middle class. Houses from 2.7 to 4.2 mib 

Behind us somebody bought a house and the adjacent plot without a house built on it.

Then they built a big shack on it. The whole width of the unbuilt plot.

A big family. Their business now is buying clothes by the bag and re-assorting them in the shack for detail resale.

Moderate truck traffic but always people outside talking in loud voices from morning to late at night.

The big annoyance is that this business has nothing to do in our peaceful, clean and tranquil moobaan.

It will certainly bring down the resale price of our house. TGF feels we have been cheated by the developer.

Indeed ome people on the street have already complained that way.

I'm surprised that the developer - a big and respected name in Ubon - has given it assent to this incongruity.

Should be worth a lawsuit but TGF and I have no appetite for one.

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I had the same thing happen to me. One of my neighbors opened a bottled water distribution facility in a home. I do not even know if they lived there. At midnight, huge trucks would come and unload, and there would be alot of noise and commotion all day. A real nuisance. This is a very quiet subdivision. 

I started by coming by when the trucks were unloading, and taking alot of flash pictures, to make myself known. Also took photos of the pallets of water stacked up in front of the house. It got alot of attention from them. I then reported this to my landlord, who was also alarmed, about the value of her home going down, if this trend continued. We all know about the copycat mentality here. She contacted some people within the local government, and so did my wife. The police got involved. Some officials came out. I continued taking photos, and ignored them when they asked what I was doing. 

I think my landlord contacted their landlord, and told her there were alot of disgruntled neighbors, and that if she did not do something, she was in for a world of hurt. It worked. She kicked them out. Or they left. Thankfully. Finally got rid of them. It took a couple of months, but it was worth the fight. I have noticed here, that things happen when you apply enough heat. The right kind of heat. Yes, I hear stories. But, I do not live in a state of fear, so that was not an issue for me. Nobody else in the area has attempted this level of foolishness ever since that happened. Nipped it in the bud!

I told my neighbor several times that she had to sort out the smell of animal <deleted> emanating from her home. I told her I would go to the authorities if she did not do anything to resolve the situation. So when she did not really do anything, I got in touch with the district office who sent people round from the environmental team. Neighbor was warned and ended up moving out about 10 cats and dogs. She still has "pets", but in a much smaller number so 90 percent of the time there is no longer any smell. Bitch does not even live there - well maybe some of her dogs are bitches but you know what I mean. She has a friend live there rent free to clean and feed the animals. But when her friend is out at work, there is no one there at all with the animals for up to 12 hours a day. The animals are all on the ground floor of the town house and are never let out. All of them kept in cages. This is animal cruelty - but she thinks she is an animal lover.  

Any action you take will be against their successful business (at least they think so) and you count as an enemy. This is about Thailand, never know what we will deal with in next day. Deal with it or move out. 

I moved out after some parasites bought townhouses next to us a year ago. They had drinking party every other night and they explained this way: “but my friend this is Thailand”.

The house owned by my gf, it is on sell now. 

Good luck 

Sadly my friend you have been dealt a bad hand - move dont try and change because thailand is going under so they are just trying to save money by working from home

There is no zoning or competence when it comes to industry and business its just a free for all and hope it dont break (which it does)

Before you get cancer or some horrid lung disease from breathing in their <deleted> all day just move - move as far away from them as you can get as remote you can because they are only focus on develop in city areas if u can move somewhere that u install the electric then buy cctv and a big dog and enjoy the country life - they think rural is low society and poor (they dont know really how good life in the country is!) so just buy some cheap land and get out the smoke you can always drive down the road cant you?

47 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I told my neighbor several times that she had to sort out the smell of animal <deleted> emanating from her home. I told her I would go to the authorities if she did not do anything to resolve the situation. So when she did not really do anything, I got in touch with the district office who sent people round from the environmental team. Neighbor was warned and ended up moving out about 10 cats and dogs. She still has "pets", but in a much smaller number so 90 percent of the time there is no longer any smell. Bitch does not even live there - well maybe some of her dogs are bitches but you know what I mean. She has a friend live there rent free to clean and feed the animals. But when her friend is out at work, there is no one there at all with the animals for up to 12 hours a day. The animals are all on the ground floor of the town house and are never let out. All of them kept in cages. This is animal cruelty - but she thinks she is an animal lover.  

It is bizarre and obsessive behavior, to say the least. And cruel. Animals are not meant to be locked up in cages. But, just think of the noise they would create if they were all running around all day!

Good on you for taking a stand, and putting down a moron. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, simon43 said:

I'm so happy that I recently moved to live in a UNESCO-protected town (Luang Prabang).  No factories starting up next door.....

Ask your neighbours how they feel about a foreigner babbling on all night in a language they don't understand to people in another country they will never travel to. 

Always two sides to everything! 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

No, incorrect . Business must have license and depending on what it is , could be more than 1.

a call to City hall or Amphoe to report unlicensed business will get some results but may also bite OP in the ass

The required paperwork would depend on the type of business, for quite a few no paperwork is required. And even if paperwork is required and they don't have it, they will most likely to sort that out quite fast, so that won't help the OP.

15 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Why are Thais so insensitive to noise? In fact they seem to love turning up the bass all the way and the volume to the point of distortion.

The vast majority of Thai's are not "insensitive" to noise, there is a small minority that are ignorant & generally uneducated that like to make noise.

The majority err on the side of caution and put up with the noise as they know if they complain that the mentally unstable people that are making the noise are most likely also psychopathic and will basically resort to violence if they are criticised in any way, shape or form as they have never had any discipline in their lives, or to sum it up in one word - they are "nuts"

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

The required paperwork would depend on the type of business, for quite a few no paperwork is required. And even if paperwork is required and they don't have it, they will most likely to sort that out quite fast, so that won't help the OP.

Not necessarily, Many villages are protective of their way of life and would not issue a permit for industry that would disrupt. 

In an empty lot behind our house they started mixing concrete not for their personal consumption, but for sale to construction sites  . They had a pile of sand, bags of cement, a front end loader (bulldozer), and a cent mixing truck. They make a lot of noise and dust.

Father in law (passed away about a year) and sister in law were/are involved in village affairs and helping the local Wat.  Also in our house we have a police red box where the cops randomly come and check our property (it costs very litle per month) In a conversation with the head police guy while he was visiting,  my wife complained about the dust and noise. 

Without as asking him to do anything, he checked if the people mixing the cement had a permit. They did not! then they were asked to cease and desist , and were given a month to find a different location.  They are now gone,

Moral of the story, If you are in a place where you don't have power, it helps to befriend those who do. Be active in your community.And most of all , Be diplomatic. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:20 AM, kellersphuket said:

I don't really want to move as I am happy where I am and why should I move anyway???

You don't sound very happy... unfortunately commercial areas are not always sectioned out. If there are no rules against it where you live, then not much else you can do - put up with it or leave... 

On 8/22/2019 at 5:33 AM, fishtank said:

As has been said you are so lucky that you can move.

Sadly I cannot.

The <deleted> opposite has turned his front yard into a workshop.

Non stop grinding, cutting, banging.

The other residence (Thai) could not care less. "up to him what he does"

Likewise the phuyai baan cold not give a toss.

I spend most of the day with earplugs and or noise cancelling headphones.

Welcome to paradise.

Just think yourself lucky that you can move.

Plant some 'stuff' on his premises and notify the cops....

On 8/22/2019 at 5:36 AM, Tayaout said:

You are lucky to be renting. 

Spot on! Thats why Id never buy or build in Thailand: No planning regulations. Someone could come along and build a pig farm or factory next door!

I've been through these same situations myself several times. Had the man in the adjoining townhouse start a welding/metalwork factory in his driveway....I moved....Had the lady in another adjoining townhouse start a restaurant/late night drinking spot in her driveway....I moved....Had the lady in the apartment directly above me start a storeroom/wholesale business in her apartment, so they were dragging cartons in and out all day, all night....I moved. I could go on and tell about another half a dozen similar experiences, but the point is: as a  farang with pretty well zero rights, all you can do is move.

get someone Thai to report to someoene they know in uniform, that there are illegal Burmese coming and going from working there... better still - report they are processing Burmese

thing is though, that they could simply be eBay type onselling!! or heavens forbid... Tupperware or Avon!

I worked for my Brothers wholesale shop, lived on top floor, and day after I moved in, 2 doors away a Thai nightclub opened, very loud music till 4am +

I friend in the police offered to sort it for me 2000 BHT, but it was clear it would have come from me, so after some sound proofing my side, and ear plugs, I got by, and after a few months was down to 12am. 6 months closed (well moved away from me)

One time a girl I had been talking to for a few month, ended up coming back, and so I made sure we did not get back to after 2am, next day on the garden roof, she had to say how nice and quiet it was...????

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

You might solve your problem and also help the animals here:-

Thai Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

7/1, Wireless Rd., Lumphini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330 Thailand

Tel:+6622555807, +6622555806, +6622555805

On 8/22/2019 at 11:52 AM, stevenl said:

Op should be able to get the parking issues sorted, presuming they are parking illegally now.

But the business itself, no. They basically can do whatever they like.

Not so!

It is by law prohibited to run a factory in a residential area.

Wait till the Thai IRS hear of this as they probably don't pay any taxes.

To speed up the process complain or tell the tax office.

23 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Better still play recordings of ghosts, people moaning, chains rattling etc.  Thais are frightened of spirits and will think they are disturbing the dead.  I am dead serious (only half joking)!

I had laugh so much. I really think this is the best idea. 

19 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not necessarily, Many villages are protective of their way of life and would not issue a permit for industry that would disrupt. 

In an empty lot behind our house they started mixing concrete not for their personal consumption, but for sale to construction sites  . They had a pile of sand, bags of cement, a front end loader (bulldozer), and a cent mixing truck. They make a lot of noise and dust.

Father in law (passed away about a year) and sister in law were/are involved in village affairs and helping the local Wat.  Also in our house we have a police red box where the cops randomly come and check our property (it costs very litle per month) In a conversation with the head police guy while he was visiting,  my wife complained about the dust and noise. 

Without as asking him to do anything, he checked if the people mixing the cement had a permit. They did not! then they were asked to cease and desist , and were given a month to find a different location.  They are now gone,

Moral of the story, If you are in a place where you don't have power, it helps to befriend those who do. Be active in your community.And most of all , Be diplomatic. 

Which is far from the situation we're talking about here.

Archived